Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Location for a Subway

Options
  • 19-04-2014 11:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 17

I am planning to buy a Subway franchise in Dublin... What location do you think will be good/ safe???

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii

Are there any restrictions on where it can be? I assume there is a certain distance you need to be from each other or something? I don't think Ilac centre has one and that seems a busy enough spot and only going to get busier with T Maxx opening.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Dininab

jimmii wrote: »
    Are there any restrictions on where it can be? I assume there is a certain distance you need to be from each other or something? I don't think Ilac centre has one and that seems a busy enough spot and only going to get busier with T Maxx opening.

Thanks Jimmii, yeah it has to be a certain distance from other Subways...

How far away do they need to be. Hard to give suggestions without knowing...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

In fairness who even eats Subway? Its so expensive for what it is. €3,80 will get you a big mac and fries. €2 will get you a stick fillet roll which is actually nice. Subway just isnt that popular in Ireland due to its price. There is very few stand alone Subways and most of them are included as part of the shop.

A chipper or a pizzeria has far better margin and lower start up costs. And by pizzeria I mean a non-franchise one.

How far away do they need to be. Hard to give suggestions without knowing...

Theres no way to know, I have to find the location first and then Subway people will check if it will affect other loxations... I have seen 2 on the same street so its really up to them...

• Advertisement

Dininab wrote: »
    Theres no way to know, I have to find the location first and then Subway people will check if it will affect other loxations... I have seen 2 on the same street so its really up to them...

Ah I see. That makes sense probably going to come down to footfall more than distance. Ilac is the one spot that springs to mind seems to one everywhere else around the City Centre!

Swords Pavillion could be another option http://www.pavilions.ie/ not there much but any time I have been there the footfall has been good.

Ah I see. That makes sense probably going to come down to footfall more than distance. Ilac is the one spot that springs to mind seems to one everywhere else around the City Centre!

Swords Pavillion could be another not there much but any time I have been there the footfall has been good.

Yeah I think is more about the footfall, City center is ideal, I m just wondering about other locations... Thanks Jimmii I ll keep in mind your suggestions...

No problem best of luck with it!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭nc19

Any major shopping area that hasnt already got one id would think

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭nc19

Any major shopping area that hasnt already got one id would think

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

hfallada wrote: »
    In fairness who even eats Subway? Its so expensive for what it is. €3,80 will get you a big mac and fries. €2 will get you a stick fillet roll which is actually nice. Subway just isnt that popular in Ireland due to its price. There is very few stand alone Subways and most of them are included as part of the shop.

A chipper or a pizzeria has far better margin and lower start up costs. And by pizzeria I mean a non-franchise one.

There are 48 Subways in Dublin alone and Subway are planning on opening 40 more stores nationwide this year, so how you've come to the conclusion that Subway isn't that popular in Ireland is perplexing to say the least.

I wouldn't pay €3.80 for a big mac and fries because Big Macs are awful ****e, all bread and the skinniest patties, it's about the worse thing McD's do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

There are 48 Subways in Dublin alone and Subway are planning on opening 40 more stores nationwide this year, so how you've come to the conclusion that Subway isn't that popular in Ireland is perplexing to say the least.

I wouldn't pay €3.80 for a big mac and fries because Big Macs are awful ****e, all bread and the skinniest patties, it's about the worse thing McD's do.

Starbucks is opening a ton of new stores in Ireland but isnt profitable. Any new subways I have are in existing stores like Spar or Centra. Why would have a subway which processed meat in a featureless store, when you can have a burrito for the same price?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Starbucks is opening a ton of new stores in Ireland but isnt profitable. Any new subways I have are in existing stores like Spar or Centra. Why would have a subway which processed meat in a featureless store, when you can have a burrito for the same price?
    Starbucks is opening stores because it's popular and demand is there, I never mentioned anything about profits.

And why are you comparing a subway sandwich to a burrito? You may as well ask me why people would have a subway sandwich when they can get 15 apples for the same price. People have them because they like them and want them.

I would kill for a steak and cheese sub right now, but yet I have no desire for a burrito.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 304 ✭✭Panda_Turtle

Greystones in Co.Wicklow..

It would definitely be a big hit..visit the place. End of the Dart line/or m50 south if you in car.

Awww yeah meatball marinara

It would definitely be a big hit..visit the place. End of the Dart line/or m50 south if you in car.

Awww yeah meatball marinara

Thank you, I will visit soon.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

Might be worth looking into the one that was in Temple Bar and see if you can get a look at the figures or why it closed down. Could see it being quieter than others maybe with the lack of footfall earlier in the week but im sure Thur-Sun with the tourists around and general footfall of Temple Bar it was busy. Its obviously busy enough for a McDonalds and a Starbucks to open up within close proximity since.

Axwell wrote: »
    Might be worth looking into the one that was in Temple Bar and see if you can get a look at the figures or why it closed down. Could see it being quieter than others maybe with the lack of footfall earlier in the week but im sure Thur-Sun with the tourists around and general footfall of Temple Bar it was busy. Its obviously busy enough for a McDonalds and a Starbucks to open up within close proximity since.

Thank you Axwell I will definetly check that thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭Mick Murdock

Have heard some horror stories about Subway and franchises in general can be a nightmare from personal experience (family members). I think a lot of Subway franchisees have to take on multiple stores in order to make it profitable as one just does not suffice. I would be going for a place with an extremely large footfall (Pavilions as suggested) rather than a seaside village like Greystones.

There was up until a year or two ago a Subway in Dún Laoghaire (a much busier location than Greystones) which closed down. I know from speaking to staff members (I did some work for them) that the place was run rather frugally.

The owner had multiple outlets in Dublin and I was under the impression they all closed. I do not know this for fact as I can't remember the other locations. It may well just have been one underperforming store.

If you haven't done so already, I would talk to some current Subway franchisees (not ones recommended by the master franchisee) and see what advice they offer.

Hope that doesn't sound condescending, hope it all goes well. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭eddiem74

Pavilions in Swords already has one, just opened a few months back maybe even a bit longer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 196 ✭✭skelligs

Starbucks is a franchise in Ireland and is very profitable. 2011 profits of over 700k between the 17 starbucks owned stores and 10 butler owned stores. In the set-up years they had losses, but they were projected.

Initially it was not profitable and in 2012 the Butler brothers took control of all Stabucks outlets.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

In fairness i used never go to subway before as they were just too expensive for what it was, i now find myself going more as they have cut there prices, 6 Eur for a footlong and drink, thats ok by me.

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭redappple

I love Subway and am often frustrated by the lack of Subway stores outside of the City Centre. I used to live in South Dublin (Ballsbridge, Goatstown and Rathfarnham) over the last 4 years and wished there were more Subways. There is two in Ballsbridge and one in Nutgrove shopping centre but there is plenty of market for one in the Dundrum area I think.

I've since moved to Dublin 15 and again think there is a need for an additional Subway franchise in this area. There is one in the Blanchardstown Centre, but my issue with this is that normally I want to pop out for a Subway, park outside, run in and get my subway and come home. In all of the Subway stores mentioned in this post, parking is a huge issue. If you go to Blanchardstown Centre on Saturday at 1pm for a Subway, you'll be driving around for 20 mins looking for parking, and it will be a good walk to the store then.

Just the opinion of a customer who loves Subway!

redappple wrote: »
    I love Subway and am often frustrated by the lack of Subway stores outside of the City Centre. I used to live in South Dublin (Ballsbridge, Goatstown and Rathfarnham) over the last 4 years and wished there were more Subways. There is two in Ballsbridge and one in Nutgrove shopping centre but there is plenty of market for one in the Dundrum area I think.

I've since moved to Dublin 15 and again think there is a need for an additional Subway franchise in this area. There is one in the Blanchardstown Centre, but my issue with this is that normally I want to pop out for a Subway, park outside, run in and get my subway and come home. In all of the Subway stores mentioned in this post, parking is a huge issue. If you go to Blanchardstown Centre on Saturday at 1pm for a Subway, you'll be driving around for 20 mins looking for parking, and it will be a good walk to the store then.

Just the opinion of a customer who loves Subway!

Thank you I will keep in mind the parking issue!

• Registered Users Posts: 838 ✭✭✭lucky john

By far the biggest consideration for location is lunch time footfall. I love subway and considered a franchise in a regional town years ago. I researched it at the time. This involved visiting several of them and spending considerable time in them over a cup of coffee. The common result was that 75% of customers come in between 12 and 2.30 and then a bit of a surge between 4 and 5. I think its vital to have consistent lunch time demand. Shoppers, schools, colleges, offices, sport events.
    I decided against it at the time because school kids was a big part of the places I looked at. I reckoned holidays would drop sales by 30% or more.

I still quite like the idea of a subway franchise so best of luck with it, I hope it works out for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭JohnDx

What about an industrial area, you would expect alot of business around lunch-hour in areas such as this. Perhaps Parkwest, I know there's a spar shop, gym and other outlets but no subway is there, nearest one would be Walkinstown.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭Voltex

JohnDx wrote: »
    What about an industrial area, you would expect alot of business around lunch-hour in areas such as this. Perhaps Parkwest, I know there's a spar shop, gym and other outlets but no subway is there, nearest one would be Walkinstown.
    ..which had a "For Sale" sign in the window last year. Haven't been out that way since..is it still open?
    I was talking to a guy who was looking at buying a Rockets franchise in Scotland a while back. He owned a number of Starbucks in London and Germany and a single Dominos in Glasgow. He reckoned the Dominos business was fantastic..made a fortune on it.

I see a few franchise convenience stores putting in a subway counter. Spar or Londis (I think) in Sandyford and Upper Baggot St and Liffey Valley

Small footprint and relatively low start up costs look good (is it about 300K?).

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

JohnDx wrote: »

The problem is you would expect business only around the lunch hour. Its not going to have footfall any other time of the day really and weekends would be dead. Would find it hard to see one in an industrial estate making anywhere near the money you would expect from one in a decent spot.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

Not a hope. Its a commuter town with little industry or lunch time trade in my opinion. Also has plenty of take outs already. Perhaps the schools but that won't sustain you 7 days a week. Bray on the other hand is crying out for somewhere to get a decent sandwich and coffee. I don't know of one decent place. That said, O'Briens closed down.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭Bandara

Have you experience of running a business like this?

Initially you'll require between 100-125k fit out and fees (excluding lease). That's unencumbered cash, banks will not give you a loan

You are aware of the way the lease agreement is structured with Subway?

Also you know that subway is now lined up to be installed in large numbers of Centras/Spars/Maces and to a lesser extend Londis

It is also rumoured to be in advanced discussions with Tesco about going into their express model stores.

You very very late to the party here. Hard to see how a location that's not already accommodated for is going to be found by a newcomer. Subway will shaft you

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 337 ✭✭Value Hunter

skelligs wrote: »
    Starbucks is a franchise in Ireland and is very profitable. 2011 profits of over 700k between the 17 starbucks owned stores and 10 butler owned stores. In the set-up years they had losses, but they were projected.

Initially it was not profitable and in 2012 the Butler brothers took control of all Stabucks outlets.

700k between 27 stores = 25k profit per store annually

Advertisement