Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Location for a Subway

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 304 ✭✭Panda_Turtle

I would be going for a place with an extremely large footfall (Pavilions as suggested) rather than a seaside village like Greystones.

There was up until a year or two ago a Subway in Dún Laoghaire (a much busier location than Greystones) which closed down. I know from speaking to staff members (I did some work for them) that the place was run rather frugally.

Greystones is pretty busy actually serves the whole of North Wicklow who don`t fancy heading into the metropolis of Bray.

• Registered Users Posts: 854 ✭✭✭tacofries

is there a subway in UCD, Trinity, DCU etc? Theres one in NUIG that has constant queue of 8 people and I mean constant. Population of NUIG is 20,000 approx.

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭blackdog2

places for me that jump to mind are lucan village, stillorgan shopping centre and around leeson st, preferably somewhere along where the institute/hatch street meet :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

tacofries wrote: »
    is there a subway in UCD, Trinity, DCU etc? Theres one in NUIG that has constant queue of 8 people and I mean constant. Population of NUIG is 20,000 approx.

UCD has never had one and I have a feeling there was a vote on it. In either case, its a monopoly there with Kylemore.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭Mick Murdock

Greystones is pretty busy actually serves the whole of North Wicklow who don`t fancy heading into the metropolis of Bray.

I know Greystones very well and it's nowhere near busy enough to maintain a Subway franchise in my opinion. There's a reason nobody has opened one there.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

tacofries wrote: »

Dcu has one across the road from it. Tcd has about 5 within 5 mins walk. Students generally won't pay any more than €3 for a lunch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,930 ✭✭✭galwayjohn89

hfallada wrote: »
    Dcu has one across the road from it. Tcd has about 5 within 5 mins walk. Students generally won't pay any more than €3 for a lunch.

Most students I know would spend around €5-€6 on a lunch, normally for a burrito. Although for a Subway €5 would probably be pushing it as they don't fill you for long.

Vuzuggu wrote: »
    Most students I know would spend around €5-€6 on a lunch, normally for a burrito. Although for a Subway €5 would probably be pushing it as they don't fill you for long.

A buritto in town is like a full dinner and you'd have change out of €8. Given the choice, SubWay would be last on my list if I wanted something filling.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 AdamJ1

Balbriggan. 2 school's so lunch time could be packed. Also expanding town

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭joejobrien

skelligs wrote: »
    Starbucks is a franchise in Ireland and is very profitable. 2011 profits of over 700k between the 17 starbucks owned stores and 10 butler owned stores. In the set-up years they had losses, but they were projected.

Initially it was not profitable and in 2012 the Butler brothers took control of all Stabucks outlets.
    Is it me but is 25 k considered very profitable? IMO I would say it well shortbut like I say it is just my opinion

• Advertisement

joejobrien wrote: »
    Is it me but is 25 k considered very profitable? IMO I would say it well shortbut like I say it is just my opinion

Given the margin on coffee being absolutely massive, I'd consider €25k extreme low. I remember talking to a mate in America who worked in Papa Johns, I have a feeling the most expensive pizza they made cost about $2 all in. So basically if you had a problem with a pizza, they just sent you a new one as it was mere pocket change to do so. Needless to say, that franchise did rather well.

If your paying €4.75 for a coffee, I'd imagine at most a €1 of that is expenses etc. The rest if sheer profit. Even more so on the baked goods etc. I'd love to know what StarBucks are doing to have such a low profit :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭joejobrien

Fully agree with you ironclaw. They appear very low. Would not be attractive for me based on that info.
    Any other ideasof potential margins on others coffee franchise?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,367 ✭✭✭whomitconcerns

Dininab wrote: »
    Yeah I think is more about the footfall, City center is ideal, I m just wondering about other locations... Thanks Jimmii I ll keep in mind your suggestions...

there is already a Subway in the Pavilions. Open at least a couple of yearse

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭Mick55

AdamJ1 wrote: »
    Balbriggan. 2 school's so lunch time could be packed. Also expanding town

There is already one in Balbriggan, beside the Supervalue supermarket at the traffic lights. Balbriggan is very saturated already with fast food convenience eating places.

actually there is one in Airside business park in Swords also...and that doesnt look too busy either (I never see a big queue in Pavillions)

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭Mick55

actually there is one in Airside business park in Swords also...and that doesnt look too busy either (I never see a big queue in Pavillions)

The one in Airside does be manic between 1 - 2PM, apart from that quiet enough as there isn't much nearby. Wonder do they make enough during the lunch hour to male the day feasible. The new McDonalds nearby will probably steal the shoppers from the retail park.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Mick55 wrote: »
    The one in Airside does be manic between 1 - 2PM, apart from that quiet enough as there isn't much nearby. Wonder do they make enough during the lunch hour to male the day feasible. The new McDonalds nearby will probably steal the shoppers from the retail park.

Yeah I made the mistake of going there one lunchtime.

Never again, there were queues out the door

good to know...cos all this discussion was putting me in the mood for a Subway!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭djmarkus

I would investigate East Point Business park. Especially with a few new leases being signed recently, although it wouldn't need to be open past 3PM.

Advertisement