Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where to buy the Rent book?

Options
  • 19-04-2014 2:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭

I'm going to share the room in a family house. I need a rent book to make notes. Where can I buy it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,368 ✭✭✭The_Morrigan

simoon86 wrote: »
    I'm going to share the room in a family house. I need a rent book to make notes. Where can I buy it?

Are you living with the owner of the house?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭simoon86

Yes, I'm going to live with the owner.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

EASONS, 1st floor, stationary, or a stationary shop,
    if you are renting a room in the owners, house, landlord is living there .
    THE rules are different ,as opposed to living in a flat or a rented house.
    MAKE sure you have a receipt for the deposit.

ww.citizensinformation.ie/en/housing/owning_a_home/home_owners/rent_a_room_scheme.html

You mean Easons which is on the O'Connell street in Dublin?

Yes, I'm going to live with the owner.

Then you don't need a rent book and you are technically not a tenant. You cannot avail of the rights stipulated under the RTA 2004.
    You are basically a guest in the owners home.

• Advertisement

A guest who pays rent + bills each month?

A guest who pays rent + bills each month?

Yes, the technical term is a licencee. You are only there at the permission of the owner and they can revoke that at any time without notice.

YES easons, oconnell st, dublin
    there maybe other easons shops where you live,
    or just go to any stationary shop.
    i think it costs 2 euro.

A RENT book doesnt give you rights ,
    as you are on the rent a room scheme ,
    but you can use it to keep record of all payments made, rent,esb etc,deposit.

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭Sun in Capri

Should it not be the person renting out the room in the house that has the rent book and that issues receipts to the person renting the room for any payments received?

Should it not be the person renting out the room in the house that has the rent book and that issues receipts to the person renting the room for any payments received?

Yes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,959 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

No, it should not.

From Citizen's Information:
    It is your landlord's responsibility to give you a rent book. Rent books are widely available and are not expensive. You should keep the rent book in your possession but you should give it to the landlord when requested, so they can make changes and record the rent and other payments.
    Ref: http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/housing/renting_a_home/rent_books.html

Think about it for a micro-second: if the LL keeps the book, then how do you know the true status when they claim you're being? And do you really have to ask their permission when you need to show it to Welfare etc?

OP, in your case, a rent book doesn't give you rights. But it does prove that you're paying rent, and looks more official than any old notebook.

You can get a book from any stationary or office supplies shop.

Mrs O Bumble I suspect Sun in Capri means that the landlord should be providing it, not the tenant going off to purchase one.

Thank you Mrs O'Bumble, I'm going to buy it in Easons on O'Connell street as there are no books in our local shops. Well, actually it gives me the right to claim that deposit was paid at least in case LL will say "no it was not". Also the book states the rule of 4 weeks to notify when you are leaving and entitles LL to do the same, so there are some rights honestly.

Thank you Mrs O'Bumble, I'm going to go to Easons on O'Connell street and buy it as there are no books in our local shops. Well, actually it gives me the right to claim that deposit was paid at least in case LL will say "no it was not". Also the book states the rule of 4 weeks to notify when you are leaving and entitles LL to do the same, so there are some rights honestly.

There are no rights as the rent book isn't applicable to your situation. You are living with an owner occupier and they can evict you at a moments notice, they do not have to give you 4 weeks notice to leave.

Simoon you really need to read up on renting in Ireland if you are going to continue to rent here.

YOU NEED to keep a record of all payments ,deposit etc
    a rent book doesnt give you extra rights,
    as you are ,in the rent a room scheme.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Also the book states the rule of 4 weeks to notify when you are leaving and entitles LL to do the same, so there are some rights honestly.

Simoon86- you are *not* a tenant.
    Its been said at least 4 times in this thread so far- you are a licensee, living with the owner of the property, and have no rights. Tenancy law does not apply to you. You do not need a rent book- you are not a tenant. Get a note confirming the deposit is paid- thats about as good or as bad, as it gets.

THE rent book rules cover people renting, flats, houses, renting
    rooms in a building where landlord does not live in.
    it doe,s not cover people on the rent a room scheme.

So what about 4 weeks notice, does it apply and if not then what shall LL do if he wants me to leave and vice versa?

So what about 4 weeks notice, does it apply and if not then what shall LL do if he wants me to leave and vice versa?

Simoon I've said this more than once now....the landlord can ask you to leave without notice. You have no rights under the rent a room scheme with owner occupiers and buying a rent book doesn't create them.

I disagree, all landlords used this rule and I did the same. It is impossible that he can say "leave now". If he says that to me, I will throw him away from his own house.

• Advertisement

There ,s very few people living with landlords,
    probably this scheme has,nt got the various rules that cover other tenants,
    to keep it simple and encourage people to rent out 1 room to people who need a place
    to stay.
    Without putting them thru the bureaucracy most landlords have to deal with.
    if you feel worried ask the landlord about this,
    save up for another deposit,

I disagree, all landlords used this rule and I did the same. It is impossible that he can say "leave now". If he says that to me, I will throw him away from his own house.

You can disagree all you want, but you're wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Read the rules in the citizens advice link posted in one of the first replies. If you live with a landlord you have no rights, no security of tenure and can be asked to leave with no notice.

Most landlords are decent enough to give some notice but having a rent book will not automatically give you rights.

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭Sun in Capri

Mrs O Bumble I suspect Sun in Capri means that the landlord should be providing it, not the tenant going off to purchase one.

Yes thank you The Morrigan, that is what I did mean.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,886 ✭✭✭✭L1011

I would suggest that you urgently need to read up the actual law on this before committing to any licensee relationship as its clear you neither understand nor seem to care how it actually works.

MYOB wrote: »
    I would suggest that you urgently need to read up the actual law on this before committing to any licensee relationship as its clear you neither understand nor seem to care how it actually works.

What's more worrying is that the OP has been renting under the Rent a Room Scheme for two years already based on their other threads in A&P recently.

Simoon this is not up for debate, the scheme you have signed up to is there to help owner occupiers pay their mortgages. There are no legislative protections to any person who takes a room under this scheme, it is their house and therefore you have to play by their rules.
    If you cannot understand this or if you are unwilling to rent from an owner, then you really need to stop availing of rooms under the scheme and rent via a lease agreement from a professional landlord - only here you can rely on the RTA 2004.

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭twerg_85

Citizen's information says tenant/licencee has the right to "reasonable notice".
    It also says that they can agree fixed term, or notice period and both sign up to that. Whilst not covered under tenancy legislation, that must be covered under some form of licencing/contract law ?

F.

twerg_85 wrote: »
    Citizen's information says tenant/licencee has the right to "reasonable notice".
    It also says that they can agree fixed term, or notice period and both sign up to that. Whilst not covered under tenancy legislation, that must be covered under some form of licencing/contract law ?

F.

Reasonable is not defined in law for a reason, what is reasonable for me is not necessarily reasonable to another.

Also, if the owner revokes the permission to reside and the licencee doesn't leave they are trespassing. The owner can change the locks, leave all their items outside the property etc etc.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

twerg_85 wrote: »
    Whilst not covered under tenancy legislation, that must be covered under some form of licencing/contract law ?

F.

Only insofar as the owner agrees to grant those rights to another person (a licensee)- and enforcement of the agreement, would then be a civil matter between the two parties, as the license agreement is not governed under tenancy law.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,959 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

he scheme you have signed up to is there to help owner occupiers pay their mortgages. There are no legislative protections to any person who takes a room under this scheme,

The Rent a Room scheme is there to provide a legal way of giving tax relief to people who provide accommoation in their own home - irresepctive of whether they are paying a mortage or not. The "Rent a room scheme" is a tax measure, though, and as stated has no baring on tenancy law.

There are, AFAIK, four major ways to rent somewhere to live:
      Option 1: As a licensee in a house which is also lived in by the owner. Typically you get exclusive access to a bedroom, and shared access to other facilities. Sometimes you also get an ensuite bathroom. There is no legal framework governing this type of arrangement: no notice period, no PRTB ... but also no notice to be given when you move out. And the owner can claim tax-benefits under the Rent-a-Room scheme.
    [LIST=2]
    Option 2: As a tenant who signs a lease which gives them complete access to a whole house or apartment. Such a lease may be signed with only one tenant, or several in which case you and the other tenants have joint rightrs. The residential tenancies legislation is based around thsi type of renting.
    [/LIST]

[LIST=3]
    Option 3: As a tenant who signs a lease which lets them rent-a-room in a house or apartment which is also occupied by other people with rent-a-room leases, not by the owner. The tenancies rules are applied here too, individually for each tenant. So you can have one tenant on a Part 4, and one in the next room not, etc. But the owner cannot apply the "Rent a Room scheme" because that is a tax benefit whch s/he does not qualify for.
    [/LIST]

[LIST=4]
    Option 4: As a licensee in a house which soemone else has rented under option 2) with a lease that lets them sublet. Typically you get exclusive access to a bedroom, and shared access to other facilities. Sometimes you also get an ensuite bathroom. There is no legal framework governing this type of arrangement: no notice period, no PRTB ... but also no notice to be given when you move out. And the owner cannot claim tax-benefits under the Rent-a-Room scheme.
    [/LIST]

Some people may argue that option 3 is now illegal, unless each "room" has sole use of a kitchen and a bathroom. But that would make some very flash house-shares illegal - or condemn people into option 2 and see them signing legal agreements which make them jointly and severally liable with randoms who they met via DAFT or the newspaper.

Importantly - we do not know what option applies to the OP: they know they are "sharing a room in a family house", but they don't know if the family owns the house, or if they are renting and subletting a room - or even if the owner has just let them a room in a house that is otherwise rented to a family. So IMHO beating up on them 'cos they don't understand isn't very fair.

But either way:
    • A rent-book does not give them any rights if they are paying the rent to the family, and
    • A rent-book can be a handy way to keep track of the payments you have made, and to prove to Welfare etc what you are paying.

Advertisement