Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can dogs really be bred for temperament?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Toulouse

cat_dog wrote: »
    Staffies are great family dogs but ime they can be aggressive w/ other dogs.

As can any other breed of dog. I don't think Staffies deserve to be singled out for this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 276 ✭✭cat_dog

tk123 wrote: »
    You could say that about any breed though?

Like most breeds, the SBT is a product of its heritage and breeding—for both good and ill. There is no getting around the fact that the Stafford was originally created in late 18th- and early 19th-century northern England for the “sport” of dogfighting, so it is not a breed that always socializes easily with other dogs or animals. Lemke says: “Staffords can be dog aggressive. It’s better to go into the Stafford experience expecting to have a dog who isn’t canine social than the other way around.” Early and extensive socialization with other dogs and animals is recommended for all Staffords. - See more at: http://moderndogmagazine.com/breeds/staffordshire-bull-terrier#sthash.3xWRum8y.dpuf

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

cat_dog wrote: »
    Like most breeds, the SBT is a product of its heritage and breeding—for both good and ill. There is no getting around the fact that the Stafford was originally created in late 18th- and early 19th-century northern England for the “sport” of dogfighting, so it is not a breed that always socializes easily with other dogs or animals. Lemke says: “Staffords can be dog aggressive. It’s better to go into the Stafford experience expecting to have a dog who isn’t canine social than the other way around.” Early and extensive socialization with other dogs and animals is recommended for all Staffords. - See more at: http://moderndogmagazine.com/breeds/staffordshire-bull-terrier#sthash.3xWRum8y.dpuf

And the next 2 paragraphs

At the same time, those who bred dogs for fighting were usually working-class men who kept their dogs in the home with their families and were likely ruthless in weeding out any animals that showed aggression towards humans. Thus, the SBT Club of Canada website reads: “The Staffordshire Bull Terrier is one of the friendliest and silliest breeds in the dog world. They are highly intelligent and extremely submissive to people.”

Individual dogs, whether SBTs or members of other bully breeds—indeed, individual dogs of any breed—are also, ultimately, products of their own unique situation. Their birth, upbringing, and training play a crucial role in determining their behaviour. An experienced, firm, and consistent handler will produce the dog desired. The American Kennel Club website states: “While [the Stafford] is a sweet-tempered, affectionate dog, his strength and determination require an experienced owner who can work with him in a firm, but gentle way.
    - See more at: http://moderndogmagazine.com/breeds/staffordshire-bull-terrier#sthash.3xWRum8y.UlWvSnx7.dpuf

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭muddypaws

You see I struggle with this, I disagree with BSL but, I also know how hard wired certain breed characteristics are.

Like the SBT, they can be dog aggressive, but shouldn't be people aggressive. However, due to puppy farmers and bybs not breeding for temperament, or possibly breeding for the wrong temperament, this may not always be the case. Siberian huskies are the same, they would sleep with the children of the chukchi tribe, so any that showed human aggression were culled, so they have always been very people friendly. Unfortunately now, with the puppy farmers and bybs that may not always be the case.

I also think that due to changes in society, aggressive dogs aren't being culled. Is that a good thing? If we expect dogs to live in such close proximity to humans, should we allow aggressive dogs to be part of that society? I honestly don't know, it seems wrong to kill a dog for being aggressive, but then what if that dog kills another dog, or injures a person very badly? An interesting debate I think, but probably one that is so emotive, it can't be had on here, or other animal forums?

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭ElKavo

Some interesting reading on Breed characteristics such as aggression.

http://www.appliedanimalbehaviour.com/article/S0168-1591%2813%2900292-X/abstract

Its just an abstract from the full study but I think it is clear enough.

• Advertisement
Advertisement