Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Landlord refused to register with PRTB. What to do?

Options
  • 19-04-2014 5:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 25

Hello,
    A couple of days ago I moved to Dublin and literally today I moved to a new apartment. I asked my landlord about registering with PRTB. He went totally balistic on me and yelled over the phone that I was already causing him a lot of troubles as he was very busy. He refused to talk about PRTB and told me that If i would like he can tear up that contract (which we signed yesterday) and I can walk out of the apartment if I would like. He is the owner of the place. I am at a loss what to do.
    I was asking about the PRTB registration, because I thought that is what is supposed to happen. I was not expecting this kind of answer from him.
    I am really thinking about moving out tomorrow. What do you think? Am I overreacting?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

You are still covered by PRTB if anything was to happen. In fact it gives you more to work with. Personally I would stay. I dont question about PRTB but thwy are there if you need them.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Santa Cruz

shruikan2553 is correct. Despite non registration with PRTB by the landlord you have full rights under the Act. The PRTB are prosecuting landlords for non registration but are doing a very bad job of highlighting convictions and fines.
    It is as much in the landlords interest as the tenant with the exception of landlords who are evading tax.
    I would advise though to keep a record of all transactions, rent payments and make sure to have a copy of that contract.
    If you wish you can make contact with PRTB and report the non registration

• Registered Users Posts: 19,022 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

Having said all that and it is all technically correct, I don't think I'd be too keen on being the tenant of someone who roars down the phone like a bloody savage at the mere mention of a PRTB registration. I'm no fan of the PRTB whatsoever but I wouldn't react by shouting at a tenant, regardless of how the PRTB may have shafted me in the past. Slim pickings in Dublin right now of course, but if there's an alternative I'd be thinking about taking the guy up on his "offer" to tear up the lease.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 theknightbg

murphaph wrote: »
    Having said all that and it is all technically correct, I don't think I'd be too keen on being the tenant of someone who roars down the phone like a bloody savage at the mere mention of a PRTB registration. I'm no fan of the PRTB whatsoever but I wouldn't react by shouting at a tenant, regardless of how the PRTB may have shafted me in the past. Slim pickings in Dublin right now of course, but if there's an alternative I'd be thinking about taking the guy up on his "offer" to tear up the lease.

I think that is what I will do. Thanks all.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,083 ✭✭✭coolbeans

I think that is what I will do. Thanks all.

do as U wish but don't forget to report the prick.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,368 ✭✭✭The_Morrigan

coolbeans wrote: »
    do as U wish but don't forget to report the prick.

Less of that tone & language please.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,347 ✭✭✭No Pants

He may have offered to tear up the contract, but have you given him any money and will he give it back?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

murphaph wrote: »

my thoughts too. does he know he has no legal choice re registration and can be heavily fined.

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭olliesgirl55

You can register your tenancy with the PRTB yourself. I was living in my flat for over a year before I got a letter stating my tenancy was not registered so I filled out the form and sent it back. Apparently my landlord is not a fan of the PRTB either.

It's quite possible your landlord was having a bad day and may have had a bad experience previously with the PRTB.

If youre gonna walk away I would have your landlord come to you with your money and contract so you can get your money back and see the contract torn up. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭odds_on

A couple of days ago I moved to Dublin and literally today I moved to a new apartment.
    He went totally balistic on me and yelled over the phone that I was already causing him a lot of troubles as he was very busy.

If you only moved in a couple of days ago, he has 28 days to register the tenancy.

From what the OP has said, if would seem that there is more to the story.

Was the OP phoning the landlord as regards some "emergency" - after all, it is Easter Saturday and a landlord is entitled to some peace and quiet unless there is an emergency.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25 theknightbg

odds_on wrote: »
    If you only moved in a couple of days ago, he has 28 days to register the tenancy.

From what the OP has said, if would seem that there is more to the story.

Was the OP phoning the landlord as regards some "emergency" - after all, it is Easter Saturday and a landlord is entitled to some peace and quiet unless there is an emergency.

As i moved today i did call him about a little problem with the toilet and what internet provider is used in the apartment. Then i tried to register with the PRTB as he said I can do the day before, but was not able to do so online, as a tenant, and was not sure what to do next. I wanted everything to be legally correct. Anyways, he did tear the contract and i let him keep 400 eur.
    I hope I do not see him again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,442 ✭✭✭Sulla Felix

As i moved today i did call him about a little problem with the toilet and what internet provider is used in the apartment. Then i tried to register with the PRTB as he said I can do the day before, but was not able to do so online, as a tenant, and was not sure what to do next. I wanted everything to be legally correct. Anyways, he did tear the contract and i let him keep 400 eur.
    :eek::confused:
    Why on earth would you do that?

• Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭Midnight Sundance

:eek::confused:
    Why on earth would you do that?

My thoughts exactly!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

Its extremely easy to understand why a LL wouldnt want to register with the PRTB. They have to pay €90 for every registration and €90 every 4 years if the tenancy continued. There was no logic to old way of registration( you had to get a signature from every single tenant meaning registration were rarely done within the 30 day limit and you then had to pay a late registration fee of €180). You can now register online, but its only marginally better.

The PRTB offer very few benefits to LL( I cant name any ATM). There is so many loopholes in the PRTB law, that it makes it impossible to evict someone even for anti-social behavior(in the US to evict a tenant for anti-social behavior you go to the local courthouse and same day, the person has 24 hours to vacate the property). This can take months with the PRTB. LLs deal with disputes without the PRTB. My parents are LLs and most of their friends are landlords. And together they probably have about 150 properties, meaning thousands of tenants a year. I have never once in 10 years hear them use PRTB(they obviously paid the fee) to resolve a dispute.

Probably one of the biggest reasons why renting is near a long term housing choice, is lack of legal protection. What good is help dealing with a dispute between a LL and tenant if it takes several months before someone even address you case. And it takes a few months after that for a dispute to be resolved. And people think its logical for the PRTB to have a deposit protection scheme! How long would they take to give back a deposit to a tenant?

PRTB is a quango that needs to closed. There is no reason why a dispute should take several months to resolve. A housing department in a CoCo or City Council would probably be better for dealing with tenant and LL disputes. DCC is incredible quick and efficient in recent years.

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭the world wonders

You can register your tenancy with the PRTB yourself.
    No you can't, unless you also paid the €90 registration fee yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,959 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

And the LL is probably thinking "phew, close call there".

Best of luck to you, OP, hope you've found somewhere else adequate to stay.

For future reference, don't call landlord's re non-urgent stuff on holidays.

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭olliesgirl55

No you can't, unless you also paid the €90 registration fee yourself.

Actually I did and it didn't cost me a thing. As I said the PRTB sent a form out for me to fill out. I asked the LL and he knew nothing about it. I sent the form back and got verification that I am registered.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭Larry Wildman

And the LL is probably thinking "phew, close call there".

Best of luck to you, OP, hope you've found somewhere else adequate to stay.

For future reference, don't call landlord's re non-urgent stuff on holidays.

I'm afraid I have to agree...the OP's carry on must have been seriously irritating.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

I'm afraid I have to agree...the OP's carry on must have been seriously irritating.

What? Calling a landlord with a query the day they moved into the house? I'd imagine contact from your tenant on their first day is pretty much par for the course.:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

THere must be more to this as nobody just throws away €400

• Advertisement

iguana wrote: »
    What? Calling a landlord with a query the day they moved into the house? I'd imagine contact from your tenant on their first day is pretty much par for the course.:rolleyes:

Twice...at Easter...about trivial stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

Twice...at Easter...about trivial stuff

No. Twice on the day, before Easter, which is not a holiday. If the landlord was treating it as a holiday, he should have asked the OP to move in on Tuesday instead. If I was letting a place, I'd expect to be called about any number of things on the day/week the tenant moves in. It's pretty normal. And as one of the 'trivial' things was a problem with the toilet, I'd prefer a call about that than the tenant to wait a few days, in case it was something that needed early attention. As for the ISP for the block, the landlord should have had that type of information prepared for the tenant as part of their move in details as it's the normal type of stuff that someone will try to get sorted out right away once they move into a new home.

iguana wrote: »
    No. Twice on the day, before Easter, which is not a holiday. If the landlord was treating it as a holiday, he should have asked the OP to move in on Tuesday instead. If I was letting a place, I'd expect to be called about any number of things on the day/week the tenant moves in. It's pretty normal. And as one of the 'trivial' things was a problem with the toilet, I'd prefer a call about that than the tenant to wait a few days, in case it was something that needed early attention. As for the ISP for the block, the landlord should have had that type of information prepared for the tenant as part of their move in details as it's the normal type of stuff that someone will try to get sorted out right away once they move into a new home.

I do not agree with you...Easter weekend is Easter.

Personally I would have waited until Tuesday.

To be blunt, the OP sounds a little neurotic and needy and not the type of tenant one would want.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭dubrov

Larry, I think you are reading what you want to believe.

A call on the day the tenant moves in is hardly neurotic and needy.

Sounds like you've had a few bad experiences in the past

I would have thought that, as a landlord, you would want to hear about problems with the toilet or any other plumbing fairly urgently.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,740 ✭✭✭yankinlk

Kind of agree with Larry. There are 365 more days to the year, and 2 calls day one of a holiday and id be thinking, why oh why did i not pick the next person in line for the rental...

TBH I dont fully believe the story - especially the bit about leaving 400 euro behind. Unless it equals the amount of days rent they stayed in the place it makes no sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭dubrov

I agree that there appears to be more to the story than we are being told.

If you take it at face value though, to shout down a phone after 2 calls on moving day is way over the top. Even if it was Easter Sunday, that wouldn't be justified.

If the landlord was so precious about his Saturdays he should have waited to move in the guy on Tuesday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭drumswan

yankinlk wrote: »
    Kind of agree with Larry. There are 365 more days to the year, and 2 calls day one of a holiday and id be thinking, why oh why did i not pick the next person in line for the rental...
    Good Friday is not a holiday. If a landlord or his agent arranges a tenant to move into a property on a given day then he should be available on that day for simple queries, this is yet another example of landlords forgetting they are running a business.

To be blunt, the OP sounds a little neurotic and needy and not the type of tenant one would want.
    If only you had a doctor friend who would be willing to break the law and make recommendations based on the prospective tenants health and general outlook.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,368 ✭✭✭The_Morrigan

No Pants wrote: »
    If only you had a doctor friend who would be willing to break the law and make recommendations based on the prospective tenants health and general outlook.

No Pants there is no need for personalised posts like this.

Advertisement