Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Landlord refused to register with PRTB. What to do?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

As said, if the LL doesn't want to be disturbed over Easter, they shouldn't let people move in over Easter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,347 ✭✭✭No Pants

No Pants there is no need for personalised posts like this.
    Apologies.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,740 ✭✭✭yankinlk

drumswan wrote: »
    Good Friday is not a holiday. If a landlord or his agent arranges a tenant to move into a property on a given day then he should be available on that day for simple queries, this is yet another example of landlords forgetting they are running a business.

fine. change my post to read two calls day one of a tenancy... if you were ever a LL u would know what i mean. those kind of tenants think its a hotel, and LL is the front desk.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

yankinlk wrote: »
    fine. change my post to read two calls day one of a tenancy... if you were ever a LL u would know what i mean. those kind of tenants think its a hotel, and LL is the front desk.
    In your opinion, how long should the OP have waited before telling the LL about the broken toilet?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭chopper6

those kind of tenants think its a hotel, and LL is the front desk.

Because they asked a couple of questions on the phone after handing over money for an agreed accomadation contract?

Some of these "landlords" are behaving with typical arrogance..an overhaul of the "industry" is necceary to get rid of these Basil Fawlty characters.

I remeber when i was renting 18 years ago the landlord freaking out because i told him there was water coming through the roof into the house.

One of the bedroom walls was actually black with mould and he ranted on and on about how he had no money for repairs and why didnt the woman who lived downsatirs "Just go and fcucking DIE!"

Tradesmen hated him and deliberatly overcharged him due to his manic manner,constant poor mouthing and witholding payments for jobs.

I recently googled his name and got a litany of complaints and court cases taken against him for his almost insane disregard for his tenants.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

From a LL POV, why do tenants wait till the weekend to report problems that have "been that way for over a week" ? Then expect you to get everything sorted straight away ! Have you ever tried getting a plumber out at 9 on a Saturday night ? Swings and roundabouts.

Fed up with people calling at all hours at the weekend expecting problems to be fixed straight away when they have clearly known about the problem since early in the week but didn't bother their ar$e informing us till 9 on a Saturday night when suddenly it's an emergency.

Getting a call at 4AM to complain the power has gone instead of calling their provider - the outage was due to a power line that had blown down - all the house on the block were in darkness, the streetlights were off and how the hell should I know what you should do with the food in your freezer ?!

A call to say there was no Gas, when we arrive to have a look there's a Bord Gais truck and a large hole outside the house.

Their TV signal is not working at 7 on a Sunday evening, we don't provide a TV or a service, they pay UPC for that but do they call UPC ? No, they call us and then get all narky when we point that out to them !

We had tenants who would rather walk around in Uggs, winter socks, padded jackets, hats and wooly hats than put some oil in the heating system or buy some coal and logs for the stove. Complain about the cost of coal at the local petrol station and tell us they never had to pay for heating at their previous place !! They had storage heating !! The result is a house with one room heated with an electric heater and the rest getting damp from lack of heat or air changes. Cost a small fortune to get rid of the resulting mould.

Tenants have rights, of course they should, but they also have an obligation to at least behave like the responsible adults they are supposed to be. Common sense and a bit of cop on in a circumstance can sort a lot out. We're at the stage where we provide the tenants with a list of what to do when the above happens !! Should we really need to ?!

And don't get me started on travellers . . .

Ken

• Registered Users Posts: 2,740 ✭✭✭yankinlk

tell it zener lol. i want to write a book about the crazy stuff i seen tenants do. too funny. either you have been there and seen it all, or u havent... not a lot of LL on boards i recon.

i recall having a chat with one tenant in their kitchen. i was politely explaining how the neighbours hated them when a chicken walked across my foot. another declared that her boyfriend (she on ras, no bf declared ofc) had left her so rent would be late this month, next month it was late cuase he hung himself. (he didnt tg, but i never believed her) another i had to pay the deposit to get electricity back at exmas for them, since they said they were cut off... another rang angry once when the power was cut by esb, blamed me, i asked did u pay the bill? they said no, bill never came, in 6 months i asked? were u not suspicious? .... lol, another got audited by ras... they told her she needed to have another room and bed for the teenager or she would get cutoff, she blamed me... i asked her why not put him in the room she had dedicated to a sunbed, yeah thats right, son gets closet but she has a sunbed room.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭chopper6

tell it zener lol. i want to write a book about the crazy stuff i seen tenants do. too funny. either you have been there and seen it all, or u havent... not a lot of LL on boards i recon.

i recall having a chat with one tenant in their kitchen. i was politely explaining how the neighbours hated them when a chicken walked across my foot. another declared that her boyfriend (she on ras, no bf declared ofc) had left her so rent would be late this month, next month it was late cuase he hung himself. (he didnt tg, but i never believed her) another i had to pay the deposit to get electricity back at exmas for them, since they said they were cut off... another rang angry once when the power was cut by esb, blamed me, i asked did u pay the bill? they said no, bill never came, in 6 months i asked? were u not suspicious? .... lol, another got audited by ras... they told her she needed to have another room and bed for the teenager or she would get cutoff, she blamed me... i asked her why not put him in the room she had dedicated to a sunbed, yeah thats right, son gets closet but she has a sunbed room.

I hope you're a better LL than you are a writer.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

Really ?!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,368 ✭✭✭The_Morrigan

chopper6 wrote: »
    I hope you're a better LL than you are a writer.

Enough of the personal attacks please.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,238 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

Actually I did and it didn't cost me a thing. As I said the PRTB sent a form out for me to fill out. I asked the LL and he knew nothing about it. I sent the form back and got verification that I am registered.

The Landlord probably got a notice warning him to register which he did. A tenant is not allowed to register.

Advertisement