Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Informed Consent Form for Dissertation.

• 19-04-2014 6:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭

I'm a final year undergraduate student, currently writing my dissertation. It's 10,000 words, and my topic is based on a social issue in another country. I have decided to undertake primary research as part of my study, and I am therefore carrying out qualitative interviews with a number of participants. As my topic is based on another country, it means that participants are based in this other country. I have had no problem contacting participants who are interested. It took a lot of effort but I have managed to get a load of people who are interested. Unfortunately there is one major obstacle: The informed consent form.

The informed consent form requires a circling of boxes, a signature, and a witness signature. If I was interviewing people in Ireland, this would be no problem. However, the fact that the informed consent form has to be e-mailed back to me from another country means that this is proving to be an obstacle. There are a lot of participants interested in the study, but whenever I mention the consent form, it seems to dissuade them, and they don't reply. I would be inclined to believe it is due to the effort of having to get a witness signature. I have went to quite serious lengths to get participants - countless e-mails and posts on facebook groups. So I am feeling quite disheartened now, knowing that a simple technical glitch is preventing me from getting research participants.

Anyone with previous experience writing a dissertation or thesis - Is it imperative that the informed consent form is signed, along with a witness signature? I have e-mailed my supervisor about this, but she hasn't replied. My dissertation is due in 3 weeks time, so I really need to get some clarity on this. Cheers.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 631 ✭✭✭neil_18_

I did my dissertation last year and interviewed two people from a really big company and i didn't use any sort of consent form. Are you sure it's completely necessary ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 622 ✭✭✭H2G2

Check with your supervisor re ethical approval and if you really need this. Based on my experience, I would very much doubt that you would require the DCU Research Ethics Committee approval for this, unless its sensitive personal information you are gathering.

Advertisement