Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

kids running into my driveway, opinions?

Options
  • 19-04-2014 8:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 394 ✭✭

Hello,

I live down towards the end of a cul de sac. Most people older, but two families, one right at end and one down road beyond my house, with kids aged from say 5 to 13ish.

Now weather has turned warmer each evening is spent with the 6 or 7 of them charging up and down between one house and another. A game of hide and seek has started up so they all charge into neigbor gardens and hide (behnd pillare, bins, even say one kid crouched behind a parked car)

Now these houses are the older style 1950's semi d, so its not as if its all open plan like some newer developments. Most houses either don't have gates or leave them open, so kids run in and out.

Apart from the fact that I think it is disrespectful to let kids run on a neighbors property (except maybe to retrieve a ball) its also dangerous as you could come out to your car and not realise there was a kid hiding behind there

I saw one girl hiding behind my bin about half an hour ago and I said just in a very matter of fact way that I didn't want them running into my drive.

Don't know the parents well (not that kind of road really). But just wanted to ask opinions, am I being a real spoilsport or do I have a valid point?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭bonerjams03

Ah. Get over yourself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

I think you're right to be concerned. If one of the children tripped or otherwise was injured on your property, you might be held liable.

How about introducing yourself to the parents and having a quiet word?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,368 ✭✭✭The_Morrigan

IRcolm wrote: »
    Ah. Get over yourself.

If you can't post constructively or in a civil and respective manner in this forum then please do not post.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,496 ✭✭✭dobman88

Yep, get over it. Kids have been doing this for years and will continue to do so for years to come. I suppose you sat indoors as a child with you knitting and rosary beads.

If they were stuck inside staring mindlessly at a video screen wouldn't that be a lot worse. Let them have their fun for the few hours each day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 394 ✭✭Dublin_Mom

dobman88 wrote: »
    Yep, get over it. Kids have been doing this for years and will continue to do so for years to come. I suppose you sat indoors as a child with you knitting and rosary beads.

If they were stuck inside staring mindlessly at a video screen wouldn't that be a lot worse. Let them have their fun for the few hours each day.

I never made a nuisance of myself and ran into other peoples driveways...
    but maybe you did...that wouldn't surprise me

oh and they have huge back gardens to play in 'right at their own house' so they don't need to run around being pests to everyone else.

Interesting how as a society some people expect children to be able to do anything they please

• Advertisement

Ah. Get over yourself.

You're so helpful, thanks for that

If you can't post constructively or in a civil and respective manner in this forum then please do not post.

I don't think there was anything wrong with that advice.

Kids need places to run around, if everyone in the estate I grew up in had that attitude it would have been a very sterile place. Let kids enjoy Summer and play. They won't do it all the time, and will grow out of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,739 ✭✭✭Xterminator

IMO thats just kids being kids.

As a kid i lived on a cul de sac and we most definitely would often enter neighbours gardens when playing.

I don't believe it is disrespectful either in intent or practice. You say your not being singled out so i really think your making a mountain out of a molehill.

If you really wanted to stop it, id suggest getting a gate (if you are onf of the houses without)and closing it.
    Do you really think its likely a kid will be run down? How many kids do you know of that have been run down in the driveways in your neighborhood in the last decade? i think we can work out the chance of it happening, from that statistic.

Its a bit of a red herring floating that one, a weak justification for your dislike of the kids in your garden.

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭Shadylou

I'd say unless they're doing harm to let them alone.......it's only harmless playing but maybe let them know you don't appreciate them hiding behind your car

• Registered Users Posts: 4,739 ✭✭✭Xterminator

i think that is not uncivil or unconstructive. The charter does not require everyone to agree with the poster.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,418 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Shut the gate?

Dublin_Mom wrote: »
    I never made a nuisance of myself and ran into other peoples driveways...
    but maybe you did...that wouldn't surprise me

oh and they have huge back gardens to play in 'right at their own house' so they don't need to run around being pests to everyone else.

Interesting how as a society some people expect children to be able to do anything they please

Now who's being rude?

You can't lock children away to only play in their back garden. Something very unhealthy about that, and would be an indictment of society more than a child hiding behind a wheelie bin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,250 ✭✭✭✭bumper234

Got about 8 or 9 kids running up and down my cul de sac as i type this and see one hiding behind my garden wall. Not gonna say a word because i did it when i was their age and my nippper will probably do it in years to come.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,368 ✭✭✭The_Morrigan

Folks, cut it out.

There are site wide rules to attack the post, not the poster and to not argue with a mod instruction on thread.
    Personalising your posts to tell someone to 'get over yourself' or calling them a nuisance is not welcome here. This thread is ten minutes old and there are already two mod warnings.

If you've a problem with a post, report it and the mods will deal with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭Flippyfloppy

You have 3 options that I can think of

Get a gate and close it

Talk to the parents

Or

Let them continue

(I remember doing similar as a kid; using pillars/walls as 'bases' or 'land' where everything else was sea. I can honestly say my friends and I were completely oblivious to the fact that we were in other peoples gardens we were so wrapped up in our childish imaginations. The children don't mean any harm.)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,959 ✭✭✭Liamalone

Will they not let you play as well? If that's the case, look out a window and tout on any wain hiding in your property.

Pesky kids trying to have fun, criminal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭zenno

Now who's being rude?

You can't lock children away to only play in their back garden. Something very unhealthy about that, and would be an indictment of society more than a child hiding behind a wheelie bin.

Is there really. Those kids are on private property and as was already stated, if a child injures themselves on this private property the OP could have a problem.

The little brats parents should be telling them not to enter other folks private property.

I have just pm'ed the moderator and asked for this thread to be closed.

Really disgusted by the attitude of some of the posters.

I was asking for opinions, not insults.

Its so easy when you are hiding behind a keyboard

• Closed Accounts Posts: 978 ✭✭✭Fudge You

They are playing kick the can or hide n seek. Children of that age think the street they live in is a playground (I know I did when I was that age). And is excellent for playing games, playing footie, keeping fit and playing with friends.

How are they pests exactly????
    They sound like harmless kids. Id say let it go and just be careful when you are driving.
    By your usename, you are a mom. How old are yours? Are they not out playing too?
    And from reading your posts so far, maybe try to smile more and not be so grumpy!

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭STEINBERG

Well if you are not going to have a word with the parents then there is not much you can do realy only close the gate..

If you are worried about one of them getting hurt behind your car for example then go mentiin it ti there parents

• Advertisement

Dublin_Mom wrote: »
    I have just pm'ed the moderator and asked for this thread to be closed.

Really disgusted by the attitude of some of the posters.

I was asking for opinions, not insults.

Its so easy when you are hiding behind a keyboard

No insults, you're just annoyed the common trend is against you.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 madra_alainn

To be honest I think your being a spoilsport! And your also making yourself the number one enemy who's house will likely be egged when Halloween comes round :-)

Maybe close your gate, or when your moving your car just say to the kids to watch out, if that's what your worried about.

Anyways, with the Irish weather the way it does be it's not going to last long anyways, if I was you I would just let them have their fun while they can.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭✭Dan_Solo

Close your gate.
    If you don't have a gate, get a gate.
    Has there ever been a case of a kid injuring themself in someone else's garden and the house owner was found liable? Doubt it.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

As the OP has closed her account here on Boards.ie, I am closing this thread.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement