Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Home-made HobNobs and Golden Syrup Substitute

Options
  • 19-04-2014 8:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 537 ✭✭✭

Help boardsies!

I am making home-made HobNobs using this apparently excellent recipe:

8oz self raising flour
    8oz sugar
    8oz porridge oats
    8oz margarine
    1tbsp golden syrup
    1tbsp hot water
    1/2 tsp bicarbonate of soda

Mix flour, oats and sugar. Melt marg, syrup and water in a pan. Stir in bicarbonate of soda and add to dry mix and mix well. Make smallish balls and put on greased tray and flatten slightly with a fork. Bake at 180 C for 15 mins until just golden, and allow to cool on the tray.

The problem though is I have no golden syrup. I do have a range of sugars, honey and maple syrup in the house though.

How essential would the golden syrup be? Could I use something else and still have a good result?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Prenderb

Honey would probably be a substitute, but its flavour will probably come through in the cookies a little.

Also it's only a tablespoon - so I'd try either honey or maple syrup, and expect that you'll have a slightly different taste (but not a bad one!) which might be awesome.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭ElleEm

I would personally go with maple syrup cos I love that smokey taste.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 537 ✭✭✭dipdip

I'm concerned using a different syrup will alter the texture of the biscuit. Will it?

I don't mind if the taste is slightly different.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭ElleEm

Honey would be a similar consistency to golden syrup but would be sweeter. It is only a tablespoon though so probably won't make that much of a difference. What about half honey and half maple syrup? God, I would murder one of them biccies now!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

I wouldn't imagine that substituting honey for golden syrup would make much difference, since the amount is so small in comparison to the other ingredients. How did they turn out?
    You've got me longing for them now...

• Advertisement

How did they turn out?
    You've got me longing for them now...

Not having golden syrup made me feel insecure...so I haven't made them yet. Gonna go for it tomorrow or Monday. I may try to pick up the syrup too if I can!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭Rosy Posy

I substitute honey for golden syrup all the time. I would use the amount stated in the recipe as it will effect the texture as well as the taste. The only thing is that baking with honey tends to burn quickly so watch it like a hawk the first time at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,404 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Golden syrup, honey, maple etc will most likely be lost in the 8oz of plain sugar. Use which ever is handy.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

I'm assuming the golden syrup is involved in maintaining the structure of the biscuit. Honey and maple syrup are much runnier so you could use them, but your biscuits would fall apart more.

I did make these, and they were absolutely delicious.

2nvz328.jpg

The mixture was a little hard to work with, but it produced a beautiful biscuit, if a little thick.

• Advertisement

Also I used butter, not margarine, and added 1/2 teaspoon of salt.

The recipe made 24.

Advertisement