Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice for renting a room near Dublin

Options
  • 19-04-2014 9:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭

Dear all,

I share a room in a family house in Maynooth. I have to leave by the 1st of June as landlord's grandchildren are coming and they need the room.

I'm a masters student graduating this summer, the contract ends in the end of June. Assuming I will not have any income in July and August, my savings will constitute €6k on the 1st of September. I used to spend €750 per month (€400 for rent, €200 for food, €150 for anything else), so enough for 8 months starting from September.

I want to find a job in Dublin or nearby. I found a house close to the train station which could be a fast connection for my future job. It is €85 per week (€370 monthly) without paying any bills. Since summer has come I guess the prices go down. So I was wondering what would be the fair price for sharing a room in a house? I'm interested in Maynooth and Dublin Blancharsdtown, Castleknock regions.

Thank you for any thoughts and best wishes,
    Si

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

SEE www.rent,ie ,
    forget about sharing just rent a room,
    google room for rent dublin,
    see daft.ie rentals.
    PRICE varys ,depends on area, size of room,
    I DON,T think rents go down in dublin ever.
    its just the students have all got places by now.

SOME LANDLORDS wont take someone as a tenant, unless you are a student or have a job .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭simoon86

Sorry, I meant that I'm sharing a house by renting the room. I'm not looking for Dublin centre or apartments. I would like to rent the room in a small house (usually semi-detached) which consumes less energy. I was wondering only if €370 is too high during summer period. Maybe it is worth taking the room and pay say €325 per month.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

simoon86 wrote: »
    Sorry, I meant that I'm sharing a house by renting the room. I'm not looking for Dublin centre or apartments. I would like to rent the room in a small house (usually semi-detached) which consumes less energy. I was wondering only if €370 is too high during summer period. Maybe it is worth taking the room and pay say €325 per month.

To be honest I'd say it's veering on being too low for those areas. They're high demand year round.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,368 ✭✭✭The_Morrigan

The time of year has no impact on the rent payable.
    You can't decide to take a room for €370 and not pay the full amount.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭coolemon

Terraced houses use less energy than semi-detached.

Semi-d = 3 external walls
    terrace = 2 external walls

• Advertisement

The time of year has no impact on the rent payable.
    You can't decide to take a room for €370 and not pay the full amount.
    Maynooth is a special town where lots of students live and when it comes to summer, most of them leave their rooms so there are much more rooms during the summer than in winter (because in winter the break is short and students still pay the rent). In summer, two factors apply:
    as there is less need in those rooms (all students are gone), prices go down to attract summer tenants;
    if there are more rooms around, landlords have to compete by setting lower prices.

I have not yet taken the room for €370, just looking around if there are better offers.

Maynooth is a special town where lots of students live and when it comes to summer, most of them leave their rooms so there are much more rooms during the summer than in winter (because in winter the break is short and students still pay the rent). In summer, two factors apply:
    as there is less need in those rooms (all students are gone), prices go down to attract summer tenants;
    if there are more rooms around, landlords have to compete by setting lower prices.

That is irrelevant, you've just said the rent is €85 a week, therefore that is the amount payable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

I have not yet taken the room for €370, just looking around if there are better offers.

Maynooth is a commuter town with train links to Dublin. There is year round demand for accommodation, as there is in Blanchardstown and Castleknock

athtrasna wrote: »
    Maynooth is a commuter town with train links to Dublin. There is year round demand for accommodation, as there is in Blanchardstown and Castleknock
    True, with the only difference that Blanchardstown and Castleknock are on the half road to Dublin from Maynooth, that is faster to get the City centre. The only problem with Castleknock is the lack of shops (important for a person without a car).

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

ww.rent.ie/rooms-to-rent/Glenville-Ave-Clonsilla-Blanchardstown-Dublin-15-West-Co-Dublin/761854/

ww.rent.ie/rooms-to-rent/renting_dublin/west-co-dublin/room-type_either/rent_0-450/page_2/

lowest i see is 260,
    some with broadband,cable tv.

search dublin west ,rent,ie,

check do i need to sign a lease,
    for 6 months or a year, before you pay deposit.
    DO NOT pay deposit in cash.

pay by cheque,or postal order.
    get a full receipt.

I Wonder is it legal to put it in an ad,
    females only,
    or males only.

I WOULD not like to live in a house with a couple in it.
    FROM blanch by bus, you can be in o,connell st in 20-25minutes.

• Advertisement

riclad wrote: »
    ww.rent.ie/rooms-to-rent/Glenville-Ave-Clonsilla-Blanchardstown-Dublin-15-West-Co-Dublin/761854/
    ww.rent.ie/rooms-to-rent/renting_dublin/west-co-dublin/room-type_either/rent_0-450/page_2/
    lowest i see is 260, some with broadband,cable tv.

search dublin west ,rent,ie,
    I saw Glenville Avenue, it is 300 + 50 but can be 300 + 70 as well. Will check rent,ie
    riclad wrote: »
    check do i need to sign a lease,
    for 6 months or a year, before you pay deposit.
    DO NOT pay deposit in cash.

pay by cheque,or postal order.
    get a full receipt.
    I lived in Ireland 2 years without signing any lease agreements. I don't like when it is a fixed term contract.
    Always paid deposit in cash and asked landlord to write something like "Deposit is paid in full (<amount>) by <my full name> on the date <today>, <landlord's signature and full name>."

I lived in Ireland 2 years without signing any lease agreements. I don't like when it is a fixed term contract.
    Always paid deposit in cash and asked landlord to write something like "Deposit is paid in full (<amount>) by <my full name> on the date <today>, <landlord's signature and full name>."
    Going by your other thread that is because you haven't been a tenant, you've been staying with an owner occupier and not entitled to a lease.

If you rent from a landlord rather than an owner occupier then you'll likely be signing a lease.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,424 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

A lot of the rooms available for cheap in Maynooth during the summer are honestly in kips. Places that I know from talking to people are in bad need of renovation and the likes. You generally get what you pay for.

Advertisement