Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rosetta Stone? - Latin Spanish

• 19-04-2014 10:04pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,301 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I want to learn Latin Spanish for holidaying in South America. I've tried 3-4 night classes, but with limited success.

I was thinking of Rosetta Stone, but it seems like quite an investment - not sure if it is worth it.

Is it good and/or are there any other types which I could use instead? The notion of 1-2-1 tuition sounds good, but my diary does not usually allow me to commit to this type of thing.

Any recommendations?

Thanks.

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

Hi,

I want to learn Latin Spanish for holidaying in South America. I've tried 3-4 night classes, but with limited success.

I was thinking of Rosetta Stone, but it seems like quite an investment - not sure if it is worth it.

Is it good and/or are there any other types which I could use instead? The notion of 1-2-1 tuition sounds good, but my diary does not usually allow me to commit to this type of thing.

Any recommendations?

Thanks.

I've only ever heard bad things about RS. I would go to your local library and see what they have. Jervis library has Pimsleur which I find much better. Also you could us a website like italki to find a teacher at a time that suits you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 337 ✭✭jt_dublin

Hi funkey-monkey
    Have you considered doing lessons with a tutor on-line? I did a few with Verbal Planet and found them very good. You can select your own tutor, so you might look for one in on from spanish speaking South America. The prices vary from instructor to instructor. You usually will get a free introductory lesson, so it wont cost you to try it out.

I also did one via skype with a spanish guy who is based here in Ireland. He was working for the Cervantes Institue in Dublin. This might also be an option for you. I can ask him if he is still doing private lessons if you wish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭two wheels good

Definitely worth having a look in the library. I like Michel Thomas courses as a good place to start. (I can't comment on R Stone courses)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Heathen

+1 for Michel Thomas.. good stuff.. you will be speaking and understanding quickly using his method..

another similar method of building vocabulary is synergy spanish

I am using both at the moment along with RS, Duolingo and a few other sites/apps...

Also, Anki flashcards have a Michel Thomas set, so its handy for recapping on your phone or pc when you have a few free minutes :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,301 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

Are there any decent apps which I can get for my phone - I sit and listen to music at work so I might as well be learning something instead...

• Advertisement

Just Michel Thomas and listened to the 1 & 2 chapters. Does it get better as I think he will drive me daft with the slowness and his voice :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

How high a standard do you hope to achieve? Michel Thomas is very expensive. I would suggest Ruttledge, Kegan, Paul. They do Brazilian Portuguese so I would be confident that they also do Latin American Spanish. The language shop in South Leinster St. has the best selection. Why don't you talk to them? I think they're called International Books.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭accensi0n

Yeah I did Michel Thomas and found it a bit boring. I really like these:

- spanishpod
    - https://www.youtube.com/user/LightSpeedSpanish

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭accensi0n

Have started watching this youtube channel now:
    https://www.youtube.com/user/ZMG4U/videos

Mexican specific, liking it so far. Recommended in a few of the lightspeedspanish youtube videos.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭MiloDublin

I did an online AVE (Aula Virtual Espanol) course from Cervantes to get me up and running. Now I do duolingo and read Spanish websites or watch say Shakira being interviewed in Spanish on youtube (she speaks really clearly).
    A little study a lot makes a big difference.
    I was in Spain recently and noticed how much more comfortable I was in the language

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭I am pie

Dont worry about "Latin Spanish", the only really awkward countries in S America from a language perspective are Argentina and parts of Uruguay. It's not something thats easy to counter by studying. Just focus on standard grammar and pronunciation and you'll get by anywhere. In general in South America you can tone down the pronunciation of C's and Z's and blend in fairly well. You're going to have an irish accent anyway, that's inevitable so dont stress too much.

Well, I'm so far behind in my learning that I think it is going to impact the enjoyment of my holiday. I was thinking of getting a few hours per week tuition in order to get up to speed more quickly.

Are there any recommended services for this in Belfast?

Advertisement