Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Drug Scandal At Major English Club

• 19-04-2014 11:07pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2014/apr/19/police-called-drug-scandal-major-club?CMP=twt_gu
    A major football club in England has been rocked by a drugs scandal that has gone as far as the police and the English authorities, the Observer can reveal.

The police were called in to investigate after senior members of staff started suspecting some of their colleagues were regularly using class-A drugs inside the stadium. The allegations go to the top of the club and involve at least one high-profile figure with a considerable reputation within the sport.

On one occasion, two prominent officials were allegedly caught snorting cocaine in the boardroom of a rival club during an away fixture. Rumours of the incident have spread among other clubs in the same division. Officials of the league in question have been made aware and are treating it as a first within the sport.

However, there are people at the relevant club who are concerned it may be more a more widespread problem than just the one case. At a home match, one member of the club's hierarchy became concerned when he noticed the residue of a white powder on the clothing of a colleague as he took his seat.

The club cannot be named for legal reasons but a high-ranking source has confirmed that internal inquiries began "following allegations that hard drugs were being consumed by certain people on the premises".

He added: "The police have been informed, as have the relevant league, so it is now a matter for the police to find out if there is a case to answer."

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Rich executives at multi-million pound business in cocaine shocker.

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,336 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

At least it being a major club thankfully rules out Leeds. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,557 ✭✭✭✭CSF

If it's not players, no biggie.

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭Mocha Joe

Any strong rumours yet on which club?

Mocha Joe wrote: »

Gonna use all my sheer will power to hope it isn't Arsenal

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭WesternZulu

Liverpool, only way to explain some of Brendan Rodgers quotes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Celebrations at Anfield beginning early?? :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭skippy15

hardly surprising- Wenger saying players using drugs at his club, sunderland saying lot going on behind the scenes, backroom staff being sacked at other clubs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

I thought it was a doping scandal being exposed, something needed in the sport.

Suits snorting cocaine?! I couldnt care less

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Palace, no way could Tony Pulis get his players playing decent football unless the magic unicorn showed him how

• Advertisement

zerks wrote: »
    Celebrations at Anfield beginning early?? :p

Robbie Fowler still be around?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,912 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

First club that came to mind for me was from the east end of London but you might think they were from west London.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,294 ✭✭✭LiamoSail

Would explain Cardiff's erratic behaviour and recent paranoia

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭cunnifferous

Villa maybe? Didn't two of the backroom staff have to resign recently?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,663 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

sugarman wrote: »
    Possibly Villa?

Dammit, you beat me to it. Answers certain questions. But as someone said, as long as IRS not the players...

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

Newcastle would be my guess.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 477 ✭✭plasteritup

this is not a scandal,drugs are bought,drugs are sold,drugs are taken,everywhere and in all walks of life.no scandal here.

Bobby Charlton is my guess for the high-profile figure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭brianregan09

Has to be Moyes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,294 ✭✭✭LiamoSail

CSF wrote: »
    Newcastle would be my guess.

Yea good call. Probably the most likely

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 477 ✭✭plasteritup

heard big sam runs the show,nothing gets sold unless he gets a taste,poyet and pocchetino are the cartel links

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

I really, REALLY hope its Alan Pardew.

And i'm a Newcastle fan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Give the Guardian's reputation for building up these kind of stories, it'll be someone like Barrow :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,612 ✭✭✭eigrod

My interpretation of the article in the OP would be that it's not a Premier League club - I suspect they'd have said Premier League club if it were.

I have no idea why, but QPR were the first club that came in to my mind having read the article.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

Probably some league 2 team. Sensationalist headline for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,206 ✭✭✭✭amiable

Paully D wrote: »

We're still waiting on your big revelation on Jordan Henderson

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,704 ✭✭✭Corvo

If it's Allardyce, they must be brining it in by the wheelbarrow load

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

eigrod wrote: »
    My interpretation of the article in the OP would be that it's not a Premier League club - I suspect they'd have said Premier League club if it were.

I have no idea why, but QPR were the first club that came in to my mind having read the article.
    There are several bigger clubs in The Championship than QPR. A "major" club has me thinking along the lines of Leeds, Leicester, Forest, Derby, Blackburn, Sheff Wed etc.

amiable wrote: »
    We're still waiting on your big revelation on Jordan Henderson

It was that he was going to win a Premier League medal in 2013-2014 but I didn't want to spoil it for the Liverpool lads.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

It's Crystal Meth Palace

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭Sunglasses Ron

Zaph wrote: »

Generally speaking using words like "major" club is a bit of spicing up to make us read th story due to the fact nobody wouldl care less if they outright told us it involved Coventry City *: or equivalent no mark team.

A few years ago there was a "massive" cocaine scandal involving a "top" player. Who now we collectively wondered. Terry, maybe Barton? Rooney's party lifestyle finally catching up with him? An utterly unlikely candidate, Beckham maybe?

If I remember correctly it ended up being some benchwarmer at Birmingham City. :pac:

If I remember correctly it ended up being some benchwarmer at Birmingham City. :pac:

Garry O'Connor, pictured below during last summer:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS5fpF_NoMrQ7vr9yFSdWU1czjhLYEFOn2x2cu3VnU4JgTz9oMu

• Registered Users Posts: 1,752 ✭✭✭markesmith

Please let it be Ch*ls**. Please let it be Ch*ls**.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,830 ✭✭✭✭dahat

It is Aston Villa IMO, has to be given the sudden goings on these during the week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

markesmith wrote: »
    Please let it be Ch*ls**. Please let it be Ch*ls**.

What is a "Ch*ls**"?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

dahat wrote: »
    It is Aston Villa IMO, has to be given the sudden goings on these during the week.

What did go on?...just heard the commentator allude to some changes on MOTD last night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Surely it has to be Newcastle. It'd certainly explain how shít we are this season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,725 ✭✭✭✭blueser

They were speculating on Sunday Supplement this morning (carefully, from a legal viewpoint!) that it may be a Championship club, but one of the ''bigger'' ones.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,830 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Turtyturd wrote: »
    What did go on?...just heard the commentator allude to some changes on MOTD last night.

2 senior members of the coaching staff sacked out of the blue with no comment from the club,only to say an internal investigation has started.
    All that led to Given getting bumped to the first team staff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Zaph wrote: »

Nah . As usual they are probably being liberal with the use of a term like major. Probably count a major club as one that has won any sort of medal ever. My money is on someone like Brentford.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,791 ✭✭✭✭JPA

dahat wrote: »
    2 senior members of the coaching staff sacked out of the blue with no comment from the club,only to say an internal investigation has started.
    All that led to Given getting bumped to the first team staff.

Nah, you're not paying attention.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

It's definitely not a Premier League club anyways. Completely sensationalist.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

I'd have thought it may have been somewhere like a club that may have senior staff involved in the worlds of both music production and football perhaps, a club that may or may not have existed until a few years ago, maybe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,719 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

such sensationist nonsense - football & illegal drugs = sell loads of papers - God forbid, a professional Premier league footballer is ever caught smoking a spliff , in the Daily Mail driven world of professional football - but if one is bladdered on 20 pints sure no big deal - thought the world had moved on

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

Which club just suspended 2 members of staff?

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 492 ✭✭thebison

Clearest indication that it's Chelsea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Confirmed,it's Manchester United.

Anti-depressants being handed out there like sweets these days.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,402 ✭✭✭Tinie

zerks wrote: »
    Confirmed,it's Manchester United.

Anti-depressants being handed out there like sweets these days.

Yeah im sure Rooney will be crying into his £300,000 cheque after todays game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

Dempsey wrote: »
    I thought it was a doping scandal being exposed, something needed in the sport.

The big money backers behind the PL, ensures anything too damaging will always be kept under the carpet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

Paully D wrote: »
    Drug Scandal At Major English Club

Judging by the shyte they've churned out all season, I'm assuming it has to be my United. Rumour has it they've turned into a bunch of stoners.

• Advertisement
Advertisement