Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Contraceptive pill, how effective,where to get it and cost

Options
  • 19-04-2014 11:51pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6

Hi all,
    Im 18 and in a relationship now a year, myself and my boyfriend have been sexually active for a few months now, we have always been careful by using a condom however concerns were raised when we heard stories of people getting pregnant from split condoms.

I want to get myself onto the pill for that reason and as I hate the embarrassment of buying condoms. We have both spoke about it and want to try it out. problem is I dont have a job and neither does he so we're short on money to get it, I was wondering how much it will cost me monthly and where can I get it? I dont want to go to my local GP as my father is friends with him and will be told I was there even though it is a confidential place.

I also have concern about how effective it is as a friend of mine and two of my cousins fell pregnant while on the pill. And also afraid of side effects... sorry for all the questions im very confused about the whole thing and need some advice, im not willing to go to my parents about this.

Also is there any place at all I could get the pill for free or at a very low cost? thank you

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭maroon

TBH you have to go to GP to get a prescription. Since you're 18 maybe you can choose your own GP. Pills aren't that dear,around €13 per month...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 543 ✭✭✭womandriver

Hi all,
    Im 18 and in a relationship now a year, myself and my boyfriend have been sexually active for a few months now, we have always been careful by using a condom however concerns were raised when we heard stories of people getting pregnant from split condoms.

I want to get myself onto the pill for that reason and as I hate the embarrassment of buying condoms. We have both spoke about it and want to try it out. problem is I dont have a job and neither does he so we're short on money to get it, I was wondering how much it will cost me monthly and where can I get it? I dont want to go to my local GP as my father is friends with him and will be told I was there even though it is a confidential place.

I also have concern about how effective it is as a friend of mine and two of my cousins fell pregnant while on the pill. And also afraid of side effects... sorry for all the questions im very confused about the whole thing and need some advice, im not willing to go to my parents about this.

Also is there any place at all I could get the pill for free or at a very low cost? thank you

Try the family planning clinic if there is one in your area, can be cheaper than a GP.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭yellowlabrador

Tell your doctor that you have painful periods. Doctors are used to dealing with contraception and don't be embarrassed, he won't tell your parents. You're an adult now and well done in taking responsibility.
    If you take the pill regularly every day, it's very effective in preventing pregnancy. If you have a tummy upset, use a condom.
    You can also have a small implant under your skin if you fear that you might forget taking your pill regularly.
    And if a condom splits, use the morning after pill available for pharmacies without prescription.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,912 ✭✭✭✭Eeden

Your doctor absolutely cannot tell you parents anything about your visits to him. But if you don't feel comfortable with him, find another GP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 Siosleis

If you are mature enough to have a sexual relationship then you are mature enough to talk to a doctor or a nurse. They have these chats ninety times a day. You are no different to anyone you see on the street.
    Don't be embarrassed. It's a normal part of life.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators Posts: 13,975 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Big Bag of Chips

Tell your doctor that you have painful periods

And this is why medical advice is not allowed on Boards... Do not lie to your doctor. Once you become sexually active you also need to have regular smear tests. So I suggest you either find another GP, or you get over your embarrassment of talking to your GP about contraception.

Here are some links that you might find useful:

http://www.ifpa.ie/
    http://www.wellwomancentre.ie/

Thread locked.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement