Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Does the war on PCs sadden you?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭Meirleach

For a casual user, a laptop or tablet is a much better option, but personally I prefer a desktop PC.

I'm not sure this is strictly true, I see a lot of laptops around the 3 year mark which should be perfectly usable but the battery has died, or the hinges fail. Or the BGA on the CPU has gone dodgy.

The repair costs on a laptop for anything like this pretty much turns them into a throwaway item. I hate seeing the waste from all that! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

Yes joysticks work, on tablets,
    but if google made an api,official apps for android, ,developers would make games that have support for joysticks,
    like most pc fps games support the 360 gamepad.

i see apps for joysticks, and it says,tablet must be rooted to use this.

You can still use a laptop,when the battery is dead.
    or buy a new battery.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

What I would really love to see is a laptop 'shell' that is basically the desktop display with mouse/keyboard controls, so there is that flexibility while keeping the power of a desktop.

The divide between laptops and desktops in terms of power is much narrower than before I think - you can do most tasks on a decent laptop, get a HD screen, the works etc. I just don't like being confined to a single chair at a desk.

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭Steviemoyne

At the minute you're always going to get equal or better performance out of building (and in some cases buying) a pc over a laptop and 9/10 it's going to be cheaper. Also if something goes wrong with a pc you just find the faulty part, take it out, buy a new one and put it in...problem solved.

Try doing that with a laptop part and you have to keep track of where all the screws are, be careful when plugging out parts and its generally a nightmare to track down the faulty part depending on what it is. Also the battery life degrades over the years just like phones do.

In short they both have their ups and downs. Laptops have their portability yet PC's in my mind have more reliability and are easier to maintain. I am 100% certain they will never become obsolete,

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

i think steve jobs said a pc is like a truck, a tablet is like a car.
    Most people don.t need a truck.
    FOR most people a tablet or laptop is enough to do what they need,and portable.
    For real work ,design, programming ,video editing, a pc is better.
    And more flexible, add ram, storage, graphics card as you wish for more power.
    AS long as people need computers pc,s will exist ,
    they, wont disappear like the vcr did.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭STEINBERG

riclad wrote: »
    i think steve jobs said a pc is like a truck, a tablet is like a car.
    Most people don.t need a truck.
    FOR most people a tablet or laptop is enough to do what they need,and portable.
    For real work ,design, programming ,video editing, a pc is better.
    And more flexible, add ram, storage, graphics card as you wish for more power.
    AS long as people need computers pc,s will exist ,
    they, wont disappear like the vcr did.

very true words

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭STEINBERG

Meirleach wrote: »
    I'm not sure this is strictly true, I see a lot of laptops around the 3 year mark which should be perfectly usable but the battery has died, or the hinges fail. Or the BGA on the CPU has gone dodgy.

The repair costs on a laptop for anything like this pretty much turns them into a throwaway item. I hate seeing the waste from all that! :P

It is horrible, i have had friends ask me to recommend them a computer,,, of course i have suggested solid desktop systems to them. But of course noo there way too much money , only for most of them to be on there third or fourth laptop right now with an overall cost of 3 times the desktop.

My suggestions get a desktop for all the important stuff, photos, music and movies and all that jazz,,,,,,,, get a cheap laptop for taking some of that jazz with you if you want to... ive seen so many expensive laptops ruined at parties because said owner thinks they look cool with it...

The one thing ive learned.... people dont give a rats ass about the hardware its the data! ie there pics, music, vids, and everything else is what realy matters

• Registered Users Posts: 1,771 ✭✭✭Dude111

Hotale.com wrote:
    I love my PC, enjoy working on it way more than my laptop.
    I love my PC also........ I dont have a laptop and dont want one! (Too small,not easy to read,etc)

Advertisement