Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Lumia 930

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,996 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

2 930's on the way here this afternoon.

Will play with them over the weekend and let ye know what I think :)

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 8,071 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

So Mrs liamog picked up her 930 yesterday, does anybody know where to pick up the official case in the city centre?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭jimmynokia

liamog wrote: »
    So Mrs liamog picked up her 930 yesterday, does anybody know where to pick up the official case in the city centre?

nowhere has it as regards to bricks and mortar but the microsoft store has them for €19.99

awec wrote: »
    Be locked to meteor then, no?

Or are all CPW phones unlocked?

If you are in the CPW ask for a CWP 930 these are not locked..

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 8,071 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

jimmynokia wrote: »
    nowhere has it as regards to bricks and mortar but the microsoft store has them for €19.99

Ok thanks €20 is a good price, they were out of the black so ordered her a Green one, now I just need to find a green 1520 shell to swap onto mine then I wont be so jealous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

Want to keep mine in good nick so I'll get a screen protector. Would anyone have a brand to recommend?

So the 930's I mentioned above arrived today instead (They were late getting to the distributor on Friday)

First thoughts.. it's not as impressive as I thought it would be! (Bear in mind I'm coming from a 1320)

The physical chassis is about the same as a 920 and it's about the same weight as well. Screen isn't really that much bigger in practise vs the 920/925
    Wireless charging might be interesting (will play with that tomorrow) but the free offer of a wireless speaker and charger has expired by just over a week :(

Biggest annoyance is the thing uses a Nano SIM so I'll have to get my number ported in the morning before I can set it up properly

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    So the 930's I mentioned above arrived today instead (They were late getting to the distributor on Friday)

First thoughts.. it's not as impressive as I thought it would be! (Bear in mind I'm coming from a 1320)

The physical chassis is about the same as a 920 and it's about the same weight as well. Screen isn't really that much bigger in practise vs the 920/925
    Wireless charging might be interesting (will play with that tomorrow) but the free offer of a wireless speaker and charger has expired by just over a week :(

Biggest annoyance is the thing uses a Nano SIM so I'll have to get my number ported in the morning before I can set it up properly

Yeah the free wireless bundle was far too short, I think it only ran for 2 weeks

Yeah the free wireless bundle was far too short, I think it only ran for 2 weeks

Serious cop out.

Yep.. mid July till the 31st :(

• Advertisement

Yep.. mid July till the 31st :(

Just keep complaining until they cough something up.

Just keep complaining until they cough something up.

I was just gonna leave it and be quietly bitter :p but I suppose considering I/we're about to buy 30 of them...

Its a bit short aint it.... clever cnuts....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,079 ✭✭✭circadian

I was just gonna leave it and be quietly bitter :p but I suppose considering I/we're about to buy 30 of them...

If you're buying a load then I'd be bringing it up. 30 people with new Nokias and wireless add ons is good for word of mouth.

Was it just a speaker or speaker/mic? If the latter it would have been handy for conference calls I was thinking...

Well the second part is true.
    I think the meteor shops ate still advertising the bundle.

Well thus far, they (or rather the company they have put in charge of the matter) are not entertaining my scorn.

Well thus far, they (or rather the company they have put in charge of the matter) are not entertaining my scorn.

I mentioned it once on a non-microsoft/Nokia forum, so they're bound to seek me out to reward my complaining :-P

I mentioned it once on a non-microsoft/Nokia forum, so they're bound to seek me out to reward my complaining :-P

Haha yeah if there's one thing that Nokisoft seen to hate it's a poor public opinion(!)

Seriously though, I had no idea that there was an expiration date on the offer until after I bought the phone and was able to read the full terms and conditions.
    Seems a cop our, especially as so many encountered difficulties on the claim site.

There's also uproar in the UK as there was only a small allocation of units and they ran out well before the two week Window ended.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators Posts: 54,168 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Picked one of these up - love it.

Well having played around with one for a few weeks now, my two cents.
    The phone performs exactly as we all expected it to, with all the obvious improvements in screen quality, camera performance, processor etc..
    The only real hardware change that I lament is the lack of glance,
    In the form factor,I preferred the 20 series. The extra weight drew criticism but I think it had a much more durable feel in the hand. The 930 also bares too much resemblance to the iphone design.

However, having switched back to the 920 for a little bit, I find that there is absolutely nothing wrong with its screen, camera, processor or overall performance.
    I feel that if you already own a 920, 925 or 1020, there is more than enough life left in them to see you through to the next flagship.

I actually prefer the look of the 930 to the rounded edges of the 920.

Finding the dt601 to be a nuisance.
    It's so finicky. And the subtle beeping noise is the worst.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 350 ✭✭mrblack

I have used mine for 3 weeks now and like it a lot. The wife's 5s feels like a little toy beside it:-)

The power button on the side is handy for turning off the screen when closing my case with other hand. My case is a clamshell type with magnetic grip at top. I wish the phone would sense the top closing and turn off the screen itself but using my middle finger is automatic now.

Podcasts are working perfectly unlike with my HTC 8s which was a mare for them. I am using 1/2 the phones memory so won't have any worries about capacity. Have 2000 songs stored locally plus lots of podcast eps gradually building up.

One problem I have is finding a car mount that will take this phone. My current old Nokia generic mount is too narrow. The mounts with wireless charging are v expensive and I notice that when I use a 3 coil wireless charger plugged into a cigarette socket the power is too low to charge the phone. It just maintains charge really. A 2amp socket I'd required where as mine outputs only 1amp.

The 60g of OneDrive is great as am taking lots of photos nd camera roll works as well as it should.

My meteor plan is skimpy at only 1g of data per month so I am careful. Here the data sense app works a dream for managing data usage.
    In Tipp town on Friday the cellular tile showed network speed as 75mb!! That could eat up my months limit in a hurry. At home in Meath the phone reception is far better than the 8s. But this could be meteor rather than three. I don't care as net effect is I can make and receive calls in every room now unlike before.

Its great to have a Nokia again since my N95 of 5-6 years ago.

Sorry for long post!

Mrblack.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭bidiots

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/BB365-Magnetic-support-phone-car-holder-stand-voiture-Mount-Kit-phone-holder-/351163265928?pt=US_Mounts_Holders&hash=item51c2f63388

I've one of these and love it, different model but same idea.
    I have two back covers, one with the magnet to attach to the ball, for use in the car, the other for when I'm not in the car, heading out on the town etc...

• Advertisement

Anyone else having problems with heat?

We have 3 of these.. one person says it gets very hot after only a few minutes of usage, another one has to go back due to what looks like screen burn - but it's in a circular pattern and expanding outwards and getting darker every day.. it's as if the wireless charger is melting the screen!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 181 ✭✭simi956

When I first got the 930 after a few minutes it got very warm now its ok, I believe you just need to give it a few full charges and let it totally run dead

I've had no heat issues with mine to be honest - sometimes it gets a bit warm after prolonged or heavy use but it's not the first smart phone to do that to me.

Haven't used the wireless charger either so don't see any circle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭beno619

So will be deciding between one of these and hopefully an iPhone 6 next week as a work phone.

What are people's experiences with battery life and for the experienced Lumia users would you trade wireless charging for an extra 500mah of battery and a slimmer device ?

beno619 wrote: »
    So will be deciding between one of these and hopefully an iPhone 6 next week as a work phone.

What are people's experiences with battery life and for the experienced Lumia users would you trade wireless charging for an extra 500mah of battery and a slimmer device ?

Batteries are batteries at the end of the day I think it depends on how much you use it.
    As for the wireless charging... Won't be massively useful until you get a few wireless chargers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭wheresmybeaver

Batteries are batteries at the end of the day I think it depends on how much you use it.
    As for the wireless charging... Won't be massively useful until you get a few wireless chargers.

Yup, a wireless charger at home on the bedside locker and another one on the desk at work. I find then that even with heavy usage I don't need to charge my 920 at any other time. I had considered getting a wireless charger for the living room but I've never needed it up until now.

If you do a lot of driving you might also consider an in-car wireless charger, just so you never plug in a USB charging cable! Do note though that the in-car wireless chargers don't provide as much juice, so if you use GPS navigation or 3g streaming in the car often then the wireless charger will only really prevent the battery from running down, it won't really charge it to any significant degree.

Yup, a wireless charger at home on the bedside locker and another one on the desk at work. I find then that even with heavy usage I don't need to charge my 920 at any other time. I had considered getting a wireless charger for the living room but I've never needed it up until now.

If you do a lot of driving you might also consider an in-car wireless charger, just so you never plug in a USB charging cable! Do note though that the in-car wireless chargers don't provide as much juice, so if you use GPS navigation or 3g streaming in the car often then the wireless charger will only really prevent the battery from running down, it won't really charge it to any significant degree.

+1 all the above

Wireless charging is a waste of time tbh.

I use my phone a lot and I've never needed to charge it during the day. I charge it every night but used the wired charging.

With wireless charging keep in mind you can't use the phone while it charges. There has to be physical contact with the charging plate so as soon as you pick it up it stops charging. It's also pretty easy to accidentally knock the phone off the charging plate.

I use my phone a lot and I've never needed to charge it during the day. I charge it every night but used the wired charging.

With wireless charging keep in mind you can't use the phone while it charges. There has to be physical contact with the charging plate so as soon as you pick it up it stops charging. It's also pretty easy to accidentally knock the phone off the charging plate.

Since getting a wireless charger my relationship has improved dramatically ;-)

Gone are the days of having to switch on the bedside light in order to plug in my phone now I just place it onto the pad and make sure the little white light turns on. I've not really had a problem with knocking it off the charging pad.

I'll agree with you on the charging whilst using, I keep the wired charger in the living room for that reason.

Since getting a wireless charger my relationship has improved dramatically ;-)

Gone are the days of having to switch on the bedside light in order to plug in my phone now I just place it onto the pad and make sure the little white light turns on. I've not really had a problem with knocking it off the charging pad.

I'll agree with you on the charging whilst using, I keep the wired charger in the living room for that reason.
    That was the case with me but between owning a 920 and getting the promotional 930 set, I have three wireless chargers at home, one of which I can take with me, and a wireless charger in the car.

Everytime the phone gets put down it charges so when I do need to use it, out has plenty of charge.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,415 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

Dont agree.

Is it a must have feature - with such limited support, no. Do I wish every portable powered device supported it, absolutely.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,670 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

There are two situations where I find it useful - the first is that I have a charging plate on my desk at work. This means I just come in, drop the phone on the plate, and its charging. If I walk to a meeting, or the loo, or lunch or whatever, I just pick it up and go. If I need to check it quickly, I can pick it up and use it, then set it back on the plate. This generally means that my battery level is at 100% whenever I leave work at 6pm. This is fantastic because it never lets me down on a night out or whatever.

The second is that I have one of these in my car, and combined with Bluetooth audio, this means that I never have to bother with plugging in wires and can keep my car relatively neat and tidy.

These are minor conveniences maybe, but they're enough for me to have kept the wireless charging shell on my 1020 for most of the time I've owned it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Its a must for me now after getting used to it especially for driving.

The next phase for wireless will work further away so knocking it wont be an issue, think up to 40 or 45 mm so will help a lot.

UPDATE FOR THE 930 NOW OUT

Improved stability & performance.
    Imaging enhancements.
    Enriched display performance.
    Cortana support added for UK and China.
    Start screen folders, customizable snooze for alarm clock and other usability improvements.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭TBi

Anyone see the issue with Edge/2G and screen flickering? Thinking about getting one as a move back from iOS.

• Advertisement

UPDATE FOR THE 930 NOW OUT

Improved stability & performance.
    Imaging enhancements.
    Enriched display performance.
    Cortana support added for UK and China.
    Start screen folders, customizable snooze for alarm clock and other usability improvements.

Depends on your network, no?

TBi wrote: »
    Anyone see the issue with Edge/2G and screen flickering? Thinking about getting one as a move back from iOS.

I have actually noticed a bit of flickering in my screen but I wasn't sure if it was just me or not...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭Fbjm

So there's no promotional charging plate for us Irish then? I've heard there are in England, but does that include us? Also, do we get cortana?

Fbjm wrote: »
    So there's no promotional charging plate for us Irish then? I've heard there are in England, but does that include us? Also, do we get cortana?

There is.
    They all come with a wireless charging plate. There was a promotion to give you a portable version but that was about abit of a scam and ended two weeks after the release.

I have actually noticed a bit of flickering in my screen but I wasn't sure if it was just me or not...

How bad is it? Must not be a dealbreaker if you still have it :) There is an update out this week, it might fix it. Let me know how you get on. Debating getting one on eMobile and renewing my contract or buying unlocked from Amazon.

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭balfe1990

I've noticed since the update that I've not got any screen flicker anymore. But that could be just a placebo tbh.

Regardless, I bloody love this phone. Great for showing off. Love my Start Screen, its so much better than boring, static icons.

Got me a Lumia 930 after seeing the new iPhone in person. Nice to have a change every now and then. Got it on Meteor and the newest update isn't out yet. Must work out how to force an update! Although i have Edge/2G at home and didn't see flickering on the screen.

EDIT: Installed Preview For Developers App and now at least one update is found! Hopefully this enables Cortana for UK region.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭zEmo23

I was looking at a L930 in ebay, it comes from UK it was locked on vodafone but it is now unlocked. I suppose I can use it with three over here but what about software updates ? Will I receive them anyway?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 875 ✭✭✭theothernt

zEmo23 wrote: »
    I was looking at a L930 in ebay, it comes from UK it was locked on vodafone but it is now unlocked. I suppose I can use it with three over here but what about software updates ? Will I receive them anyway?

You will receive update, yes. Whenever Vodafone UK approves and update, you'll get it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,021 ✭✭✭whatever76

not at all impressed with the Wireless charging plate ! I use it at night on bed locker and 9/10 times it drops charging and never charges fully so when I get up it only half charged ... anyone else have this issue ? Am I doing something wrong ??!

Advertisement