Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Lumia 930

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭Griffinx

whatever76 wrote: »
    not at all impressed with the Wireless charging plate ! I use it at night on bed locker and 9/10 times it drops charging and never charges fully so when I get up it only half charged ... anyone else have this issue ? Am I doing something wrong ??!

The circular one that comes with the phone is pretty useless...unless you have the phone positioned exactly right, it wont pick up the charge.

The one that came with the free offer is much larger and works perfectly

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

whatever76 wrote: »
    not at all impressed with the Wireless charging plate ! I use it at night on bed locker and 9/10 times it drops charging and never charges fully so when I get up it only half charged ... anyone else have this issue ? Am I doing something wrong ??!

Not long with the phone, but i'm mighty impressed with the wireless charging plate - the one which comes with the phone.

Mine sits on the office desk. When I sit at my desk i just place it on the wireless plate and within a second or two (ok, maybe three) it starts charging. Heretofore my mobiles just get lobbed on the desk until I need to do something with them. Now, it appears that I will "always" (while at work have a charged device). I like this notion. Sure I could plug in a USB power source, but this is just 'there'.

I have it plugged into a USB on the docking station which my laptop sits into. It appears to 'fully charge' too (not terribly fast but as i mentioned i've not got the phone long so not sure if that is a wireless charging thing, normal, battery capacity, % run down, or at flaw.

I know its a very minor thing as you have the option and I did in the past constantly plug something in but I think I will probably use this more. Seriously, really impressed by it.

[cavaet, tis early days for me - others may have found fatal flaws with this]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

I'm not impressed with this phone at all, I upgraded from the 920 which I loved. the thing I loved most about the 920 was how robust it was.

The overwhelming opinion I have of the 930 is that it's fragile. Mine os a work phone so the provider sent someone down to switch all the phone and he handed me my phone already with a big crack, he said he dropped it on the table (less than a foot of a drop), I got a replacement and that has a green blob growing from the right side of the screen. It also doesn't have handy features like glance.

The charging plate doesn't seem to work properly either, I have it beside my bed and it's constantly connecting and discounting, and beeping all night long. By morning time it's barely charged half way.

Other than the better camera and screen (that keeps breaking) this feels like a step down from the 920. If this is what Microsoft have done to Nokia I'm going to switch to another manufacturer. Disappointing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭wheresmybeaver

ScumLord wrote: »
    I'm not impressed with this phone at all, I upgraded from the 920 which I loved. the thing I loved most about the 920 was how robust it was.

The overwhelming opinion I have of the 930 is that it's fragile. Mine os a work phone so the provider sent someone down to switch all the phone and he handed me my phone already with a big crack, he said he dropped it on the table (less than a foot of a drop), I got a replacement and that has a green blob growing from the right side of the screen. It also doesn't have handy features like glance.

The charging plate doesn't seem to work properly either, I have it beside my bed and it's constantly connecting and discounting, and beeping all night long. By morning time it's barely charged half way.

Other than the better camera and screen (that keeps breaking) this feels like a step down from the 920. If this is what Microsoft have done to Nokia I'm going to switch to another manufacturer. Disappointing.

Agree with the above, the 930 isn't a true update to the 920 in many ways.

If you can swing it you could ask for a 830. It's a cheaper phone but it has similar specs to the 920 but with slightly improved camera and a better size and weight.

Microsoft have made a risky move by not releasing a flagship phone in Q4. I'll hang on with my 920 for a few months more until it really starts to flag but then I'll have to upgrade, hopefully there'll be a compelling Windows Phone flagship option at that stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,996 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Sounds exactly like what happened to one of our office 930s. The first verdict was "user damage" but after escalating it, it's been sent to MS themselves who after a week said it'd need further investigating - which to me reads like they may have identified an "issue"

Will post back though when they give their verdict

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

The overwhelming opinion I have of the 930 is that it's fragile.
    Other than the better camera and screen (that keeps breaking) this feels like a step down from the 920. If this is what Microsoft have done to Nokia I'm going to switch to another manufacturer.

My sentiments exactly.
    In going to change back to the 920 and all I'll miss is the screen and camera.
    kaiser wrote:
    Will post back though when they give their verdict

No update on this then?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,996 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

No update on this then?

Believe it or not, they eventually told me it could take up to 3 months before I get an outcome! So January! :rolleyes:

I just bought the manager another one and we'll give the original to someone else when/if it comes back.

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    Believe it or not, they eventually told me it could take up to 3 months before I get an outcome! So January! :rolleyes:

I just bought the manager another one and we'll give the original to someone else when/if it comes back.

Jesus that is some example they are setting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭PaulieC

The 930 was a nokia phone, not an MS one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

So it seems I should hang on to my 920 until the rumoured 940 comes out.

• Advertisement

InTheTrees wrote: »
    So it seems I should hang on to my 920 until the rumoured 940 comes out.

Not sure about there being a 940, 1030 maybe.
    But with the disappointment of the 930, the 1020 might be worth looking into for the next model.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭doubie

Same here on both counts. The lack of glance is odd. And although I can understand them removing it on the 520 (because it's a cheap phone, spend more and you'll get more features), there is no technical reason it shouldn't be on the 930.

Given how nicely, compared to Android, Windows Phone handles SD cards, I do think they should be on all Windows Phones - some of us don't want to stream everything from the cloud ;-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

I've heard it discussed that the 930 screen is a new cheaper tech to cut costs and doesn't have the tech required for glance.

Glance requires a certain screen tech to work. Which is why a lot of the lower end phones don't have it.

It's interesting the love for the 920. It was slated for being a brick when it was released. I don't think it ever sold that well. Hence why they made a slimmer one in the 925.

beauf wrote: »
    I've heard it discussed that the 930 screen is a new cheaper tech to cut costs and doesn't have the tech required for glance.

Glance requires a certain screen tech to work. Which is why a lot of the lower end phones don't have it.

My understanding was that the 930 is an upgraded screen but that the new tech is not compatible with glance technology.

The 920/925 argument is unwinnable.
    But at first impressions, the 920 is a brick, but anyone that's used one, loves it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭TBi

The screen isn't cheaper tech, it is very high quality. It just lacks the local memory needed for glance to work. This had no effect on the quality of the screen, just the cost.

I never said anything about "quality". ;)

It maybe they dropped glance as a cost cutting, or maybe this was the screen that had best availability at the time. That said Nokia have a habit of leaving out different hardware or features on different models in no logical pattern. So their inconsistency is perfectly consistent in that context. Yes I know its MS and not Nokia, maybe its too early to say they are following the same pattern.

By "quality" I assume you mean visual quality, not build quality. When a new phone comes out they often have teething problems, especially with screens, which get sorted out as production continues. Bleeding edge of tech etc. The new models might be effected by that.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Hey folks, just got a Lumia 930 in the post this morning (Tesco Mobile) - was setting up the phone, went to change the brightness setting from Automatic to Low and the touchscreen stopped working. Soft reset made no difference, hard reset (twice) no difference either - it's stuck at a 'Create a password' screen but I can't select any options. Any help would be much appreciated.

There's a Noika Care Centre near me - would they be able to help or should I just go back to Tesco with it?

The excitement sure didn't last long. :(

Edit: When I press the power button to turn on the screen it shows my normal background pic, when I press the camera button it shows the 'Create a Password' screen.

Straight back to Tesco with that.

I wonder are they buying reconditioned phones on the cheap or something.

Gave them a ring and I have to post it back to some repair address. Could take up to 2 weeks to get sorted. What a load of crap! :mad:

• Advertisement

The camera focus on my 930 has gone kapput ..returned it to Carphone Warehouse and they said 5-10 days before its back....meanwhile Im back using Android and its not half bad

Andrew76 wrote: »
    Gave them a ring and I have to post it back to some repair address. Could take up to 2 weeks to get sorted. What a load of crap! :mad:

I would argue that you just bought it so they should give you a replacement straight away. However i think contracts have some caveat that since you didn't actually buy the handset straight out you don't get full consumer protection. Stupid laws.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,415 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

If you got it from them through the post you should be able to return it for a refund relatively easily.

If you bought it in store then stand your ground and have a replacement given to you, in this timeframe that is reasonable, as is a refund. A repair on a brand new item, faulty from the get go is only reasonable if you agree with tesco that it is reasonable - I would not, and should you take it to small claims court tesco's unwillingness to work with you would work against them (but if you went the SCC route in the end, you would be waiting longer than 2 weeks)

A calm, reasoned approach has worked for me with all but the most pig headed, consumer hating retailers (in those few instances all have been irish btw, the brits seem to do customer service pretty damn well).

Like I've said, I don't think a repair is a reasonable option on a faulty out of the box item and I would push for a replacement.

If you got it from them through the post you should be able to return it for a refund relatively easily.

If you bought it in store then stand your ground and have a replacement given to you, in this timeframe that is reasonable, as is a refund. A repair on a brand new item, faulty from the get go is only reasonable if you agree with tesco that it is reasonable - I would not, and should you take it to small claims court tesco's unwillingness to work with you would work against them (but if you went the SCC route in the end, you would be waiting longer than 2 weeks)

A calm, reasoned approach has worked for me with all but the most pig headed, consumer hating retailers (in those few instances all have been irish btw, the brits seem to do customer service pretty damn well).

Like I've said, I don't think a repair is a reasonable option on a faulty out of the box item and I would push for a replacement.

Cheers for the response. The Tesco rep on the phone was reasonable enough, I'm just majorly disappointed as I was looking forward to getting my hands on it. One negative thing I would say is Tesco just posted it out in the standard Lumia box inside an An Post plastic bag - zero padding. Having said that, there was no visible damage to anything and the touchscreen did work for a few minutes.

It's gone back in the post to Sandyford to be repaired so hopefully I'll hear something back next week. I'll be surprised if they can repair it (just a gut feeling) so I'm expecting it to be resolved by Tesco having to send out a new one. And they can refund me the €7.50 postage costs too. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭brianeoc

Anyone else having issues with the proximity sensor on the 930?

It's my mother-in-laws phone and when she makes a call, It works fine. The screen shuts off when it's beside her ear while shes talking. Once she takes the phone down from her ear the proximity sensor should kick and display the screen. This doesn't happen and the screen is blank. She has to press the power button to get the screen back.

She brought it into the meteor shop and the guy just pressed the top of the phone and it started to work fine again for a couple of weeks. Same thing is starting to happen again.

I'm thinking that this must be a faulty or loose sensor and to get it sent back for repair.

Anyone else out their with similar issues with this phone?

brianeoc wrote: »
    Anyone else having issues with the proximity sensor on the 930?

It's my mother-in-laws phone and when she makes a call, It works fine. The screen shuts off when it's beside her ear while shes talking. Once she takes the phone down from her ear the proximity sensor should kick and display the screen. This doesn't happen and the screen is blank. She has to press the power button to get the screen back.

She brought it into the meteor shop and the guy just pressed the top of the phone and it started to work fine again for a couple of weeks. Same thing is starting to happen again.

I'm thinking that this must be a faulty or loose sensor and to get it sent back for repair.

Anyone else out their with similar issues with this phone?

Had that happen to my 920. Was no real problem unless I was dreading with one of those automatad response things. Press 1 for help etc...

Never got a fix.

Noticing my Bluetooth is comic and going lately. I wonder if any of this it's to do with the denim update.

Griffinx wrote: »
    The camera focus on my 930 has gone kapput ..returned it to Carphone Warehouse and they said 5-10 days before its back....meanwhile Im back using Android and its not half bad

Scrub that, Samsung S4 is slow and laggy and battery dies in the afternoon..want my 930 back

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,954 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

Thats not normal. Go into Settings/Battery Saver/Usage/Show Apps that can run in the background

Then turn off the ones you dont want on in the background.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,954 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,487 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

Got a few questions!

1-Can I get Cortana or is there an update coming soon?

2-What's the best internet browser for this phone? Don't like IE, stuff like links on Facebook won't click and load and pages fail to load too often.

corcaigh07 wrote: »
    Got a few questions!

1-Can I get Cortana or is there an update coming soon?

2-What's the best internet browser for this phone? Don't like IE, stuff like links on Facebook won't click and load and pages fail to load too often.

The only way to get Cortana at the moment is to change your region to uk or us.

Not sure about other browsers. I hear people mentioning UC browser but i only use IE.

I prefer UE over IE but neither is great. New version of IE in WP10. Might be better.

UC is nice but I hate having to go back to the home screen to enter a URL.

IE works. Any alternative will have it's own flaws.

Try others and choose what you like.

• Advertisement

Figured out my issue with Internet Explorer, there is some sort of data saving option turned on by default. Turn that off and links are suddenly clickable! Yay!

corcaigh07 wrote: »
    UC is nice but I hate having to go back to the home screen to enter a URL.

You can just touch the title of the webpage (bottom of the screen) and it changes to the web address which you can edit.

AnCatDubh wrote: »
    You can just touch the title of the webpage (bottom of the screen) and it changes to the web address which you can edit.

Oh, might have to try that again so.

Not sure if this is the correct thread for this but does anyone know if there's a way to force close an app? UC Browser was stuck on 'Running...' when I tried opening it earlier for some reason, everything else was fine so just ended up rebooting the phone (930 running Denim) as pressing the Back button did nothing.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,414 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Not sure if this is the correct thread for this but does anyone know if there's a way to force close an app? UC Browser was stuck on 'Running...' when I tried opening it earlier for some reason, everything else was fine so just ended up rebooting the phone (930 running Denim) as pressing the Back button did nothing.

Hold down the back button until the switching view appears, and then press the X in the corner of the app you wish to close.

• Advertisement

Every browser I use on this thing is awful. I'd get over the poor App selection but a poor internet browser is very frustrating. Is there any browser on the store that can compare to Chrome?

I'm having my eye turned by a Nexus 5 but looking at the thread for that, the battery life is even worse on that than the 930!

I've about had enough of IE on WP. Don't think I can live with it any more.

If I switch back to my 3yr old 2.3.6 android phone, opera on it works vastly better.

IE is annoying me too. Takes too long to go back pages since it has to redownload each previous page.

Also it's too easy to click on ads. I'm forever clicking back out of an ad I didn't realise I clicked. Starting to feel that I might venture to the dark side... (android)

I agree that the browser is the weak point - in fact it is why I didn't stay with windows phone 7. But i'm back in the camp with a 930 (WP8.1 Cyan, now Denim) for a few months now and imho the browser offerings have improved a bit. IE is still kinda pants though. My go to browser is UC. It has its quirks but I can get done what I need to do.

I also have opera installed but imho its a bit early in its development cycle - its buggy and the rendering of pages is often not correct. I'll keep it there occasionally trying it and hopefully it will improve. Also, looking forward to what project spartan brings.

I left an iPhone behind for the 930 (had a Samsung Galaxy too, so i've been there with them all) and i'd not be enticed back to apple or samsung too easy at the moment. In my medium term phone sights will be to consider the new high end Windows Phone when announced/released later this year purely because the 930/Windows Phone is so damn good.

Its funny, I think phones are quite people specific and we all have certain needs so it can be difficult to know what will work for any one individual ie. one recommendation won't suit all. For example, i'm not missing any *critical* apps in the *limited* windows phone store (with what 350k apps on it or something like that?) while I know for others if they can't get the latest android/apple twitter app then they are like "OH MY GOD, WHY DOESN'T THIS THING DO APPS". Meh..... find the alternative and get on with it. That's not bothering me.

To contradict myself and give an honest disclosure, I did initially miss not having Waze available to me (or the Waze which was available hadn't and I gather won't be updated anytime soon was buggy and basically didn't work properly on the 930), but i said to myself what is the Windows Phone alternative and its there installed out of the box. Nokia Drive. It's not quite as pretty as Waze but in my experience of a daily urban commute it is as good and probably better than Waze in its real time navigation. Waze probably beats Nokia Drive in terms of place search as it allows you search its database, google's, foursquare places, etc.... That said, i'm not overly annoyed by it and i'm happy with nokia drive.

Anyway, TLDR - At the present time, and as an iPhone/Android convert, I really *really* like the 930 - quirks and all.

:)

I gave up on UE it just crashes too much

I gave up on UE it just crashes too much

What browser doesn't bloody crash on this phone? If the browser issues improves, I could put up with the other "quirks"!

IE is pissing me off lately with random crashes. But it wouldn't piss me off enough to make me change platform and buy a new phone

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭wilser

Did anyone who bought one of these recently receive a fitbit? If yes how long where you waiting for it to be delivered, am into my fourth week now and wondering if I should chase it up yet or wait another week or two

• Registered Users Posts: 31 squonkie

I got my phone from work over a month ago on a Tuesday and immediately filled out the form on the app and the fitbit arrived on the Friday. However another of the lads in work got his 930 the week after and is still waiting

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭wilser

wilser wrote: »
    Did anyone who bought one of these recently receive a fitbit? If yes how long where you waiting for it to be delivered, am into my fourth week now and wondering if I should chase it up yet or wait another week or two

Just an fyi for anyone waiting on one of these, received mine this morning 6 weeks from when I ordered it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement