Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lumia 930

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,445 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

Got a few questions!

1-Can I get Cortana or is there an update coming soon?

2-What's the best internet browser for this phone? Don't like IE, stuff like links on Facebook won't click and load and pages fail to load too often.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭TBi

corcaigh07 wrote: »
    Got a few questions!

1-Can I get Cortana or is there an update coming soon?

2-What's the best internet browser for this phone? Don't like IE, stuff like links on Facebook won't click and load and pages fail to load too often.

The only way to get Cortana at the moment is to change your region to uk or us.

Not sure about other browsers. I hear people mentioning UC browser but i only use IE.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

I prefer UE over IE but neither is great. New version of IE in WP10. Might be better.

UC is nice but I hate having to go back to the home screen to enter a URL.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

IE works. Any alternative will have it's own flaws.

Try others and choose what you like.

• Advertisement

Figured out my issue with Internet Explorer, there is some sort of data saving option turned on by default. Turn that off and links are suddenly clickable! Yay!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

corcaigh07 wrote: »
    UC is nice but I hate having to go back to the home screen to enter a URL.

You can just touch the title of the webpage (bottom of the screen) and it changes to the web address which you can edit.

AnCatDubh wrote: »
    You can just touch the title of the webpage (bottom of the screen) and it changes to the web address which you can edit.

Oh, might have to try that again so.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,444 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Not sure if this is the correct thread for this but does anyone know if there's a way to force close an app? UC Browser was stuck on 'Running...' when I tried opening it earlier for some reason, everything else was fine so just ended up rebooting the phone (930 running Denim) as pressing the Back button did nothing.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,380 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Andrew76 wrote: »
    Not sure if this is the correct thread for this but does anyone know if there's a way to force close an app? UC Browser was stuck on 'Running...' when I tried opening it earlier for some reason, everything else was fine so just ended up rebooting the phone (930 running Denim) as pressing the Back button did nothing.

Hold down the back button until the switching view appears, and then press the X in the corner of the app you wish to close.

• Advertisement

Every browser I use on this thing is awful. I'd get over the poor App selection but a poor internet browser is very frustrating. Is there any browser on the store that can compare to Chrome?

I'm having my eye turned by a Nexus 5 but looking at the thread for that, the battery life is even worse on that than the 930!

I've about had enough of IE on WP. Don't think I can live with it any more.

If I switch back to my 3yr old 2.3.6 android phone, opera on it works vastly better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭TBi

IE is annoying me too. Takes too long to go back pages since it has to redownload each previous page.

Also it's too easy to click on ads. I'm forever clicking back out of an ad I didn't realise I clicked. Starting to feel that I might venture to the dark side... (android)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

I agree that the browser is the weak point - in fact it is why I didn't stay with windows phone 7. But i'm back in the camp with a 930 (WP8.1 Cyan, now Denim) for a few months now and imho the browser offerings have improved a bit. IE is still kinda pants though. My go to browser is UC. It has its quirks but I can get done what I need to do.

I also have opera installed but imho its a bit early in its development cycle - its buggy and the rendering of pages is often not correct. I'll keep it there occasionally trying it and hopefully it will improve. Also, looking forward to what project spartan brings.

I left an iPhone behind for the 930 (had a Samsung Galaxy too, so i've been there with them all) and i'd not be enticed back to apple or samsung too easy at the moment. In my medium term phone sights will be to consider the new high end Windows Phone when announced/released later this year purely because the 930/Windows Phone is so damn good.

Its funny, I think phones are quite people specific and we all have certain needs so it can be difficult to know what will work for any one individual ie. one recommendation won't suit all. For example, i'm not missing any *critical* apps in the *limited* windows phone store (with what 350k apps on it or something like that?) while I know for others if they can't get the latest android/apple twitter app then they are like "OH MY GOD, WHY DOESN'T THIS THING DO APPS". Meh..... find the alternative and get on with it. That's not bothering me.

To contradict myself and give an honest disclosure, I did initially miss not having Waze available to me (or the Waze which was available hadn't and I gather won't be updated anytime soon was buggy and basically didn't work properly on the 930), but i said to myself what is the Windows Phone alternative and its there installed out of the box. Nokia Drive. It's not quite as pretty as Waze but in my experience of a daily urban commute it is as good and probably better than Waze in its real time navigation. Waze probably beats Nokia Drive in terms of place search as it allows you search its database, google's, foursquare places, etc.... That said, i'm not overly annoyed by it and i'm happy with nokia drive.

Anyway, TLDR - At the present time, and as an iPhone/Android convert, I really *really* like the 930 - quirks and all.

:)

I gave up on UE it just crashes too much

beauf wrote: »
    I gave up on UE it just crashes too much

What browser doesn't bloody crash on this phone? If the browser issues improves, I could put up with the other "quirks"!

IE is pissing me off lately with random crashes. But it wouldn't piss me off enough to make me change platform and buy a new phone

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭wilser

Did anyone who bought one of these recently receive a fitbit? If yes how long where you waiting for it to be delivered, am into my fourth week now and wondering if I should chase it up yet or wait another week or two

• Registered Users Posts: 31 squonkie

I got my phone from work over a month ago on a Tuesday and immediately filled out the form on the app and the fitbit arrived on the Friday. However another of the lads in work got his 930 the week after and is still waiting

wilser wrote: »
    Did anyone who bought one of these recently receive a fitbit? If yes how long where you waiting for it to be delivered, am into my fourth week now and wondering if I should chase it up yet or wait another week or two

Just an fyi for anyone waiting on one of these, received mine this morning 6 weeks from when I ordered it.

• Advertisement

Just an fyi for anyone waiting on one of these, received mine this morning 6 weeks from when I ordered it.

Another poorly handled Lumia promotion.

Well tbf it does say to allow 28 days for delivery, just didn't think it meant 28 working days

Well tbf it does say to allow 28 days for delivery, just didn't think it meant 28 working days

Yes but the reality of the situation is far removed from what is advertised. Just like the previous Lumia promotions.

Why they can't just do it like it is done in other countries, by shipping a box of the promotional products to the retailers and hand it over with the phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,663 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

That's not how it's done in other countries, it's nearly always done by mail-in claim or rebate. I've experienced that dozens of times in the US.

MJohnston wrote: »
    That's not how it's done in other countries, it's nearly always done by mail-in claim or rebate. I've experienced that dozens of times in the US.

They did in the UK with the 930 launch. You collected your md12 speaker and dc50 charger they're in the store. That had it's own sting in the tail mind.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,380 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

They did in the UK with the 930 launch. You collected your md12 speaker and dc50 charger they're in the store. That had it's own sting in the tail mind.

Weird, I had to apply online, got it about six weeks afterwards.

Just to give Microsoft a bit of credit they are the only ones I have ever gotten anything extra from,
    Got a wireless charger sent out with a Lumia 820,
    Got a wireless charger with the Lumia 930 and then the fitbit posted out afterwards.
    I take on board what people are saying about not handling it great but free is free :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 875 ✭✭✭theothernt

It's no excuse from a consumer perspective, but those kinds of promotions are usually handled by external companies. :confused:

CatInABox wrote: »
    Weird, I had to apply online, got it about six weeks afterwards.

Yeah that is strange. Some networks had the items in store, and when they ran out, that was it.

@theothernt.
    Indeed, that was a lesson I learned the hard way.

• Advertisement

Just got the 8.1 Update 2 on my 930, it's the only phone that can get it at the moment and it's not an official way either, so your phone will technically be unsupported if you do this.

Sign up for the windows insider app, then go onto the fast ring. Check for an update, and it'll download update 2. Apparently this works because all phones get update 2 prior to getting Windows 10, but as the 930 can't get windows 10, it just stays on update 2.

It's nice to have a properly organised settings section, but don't do this if you aren't comfortable taking a risk on your phone.

Advertisement