Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lumia 930

1234568»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,663 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

CatInABox wrote: »
    Just got the 8.1 Update 2 on my 930, it's the only phone that can get it at the moment and it's not an official way either, so your phone will technically be unsupported if you do this.

Sign up for the windows insider app, then go onto the fast ring. Check for an update, and it'll download update 2. Apparently this works because all phones get update 2 prior to getting Windows 10, but as the 930 can't get windows 10, it just stays on update 2.

It's nice to have a properly organised settings section, but don't do this if you aren't comfortable taking a risk on your phone.

Another handy addition is that you can now pin individual settings to the home screen

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 501 ✭✭✭muff03

Have tried about 4 reboots with Insider today and other than the fast track config update, nada

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭TBi

Updated my 930 there. Found one massive change. A lot more video codecs are included. I can watch all my movies now, well all that I've tried. Going through them all one by one now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 875 ✭✭✭theothernt

CatInABox wrote: »
    Just got the 8.1 Update 2 on my 930, it's the only phone that can get it at the moment and it's not an official way either, so your phone will technically be unsupported if you do this.

Sign up for the windows insider app, then go onto the fast ring. Check for an update, and it'll download update 2. Apparently this works because all phones get update 2 prior to getting Windows 10, but as the 930 can't get windows 10, it just stays on update 2.

It's nice to have a properly organised settings section, but don't do this if you aren't comfortable taking a risk on your phone.

But you may want to then delete the Windows Insider app and turn off Phone Updates to stay at Update 2 when the Win10 preview is available. That's what I've done with a couple of handsets (435, 735) so I can test on Update 2 :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 875 ✭✭✭theothernt

TBi wrote: »
    Updated my 930 there. Found one massive change. A lot more video codecs are included. I can watch all my movies now, well all that I've tried. Going through them all one by one now.

Curious to know if it plays DivX/Xvid and MKV? :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭TBi

theothernt wrote: »
    Curious to know if it plays DivX/Xvid and MKV? :pac:

Yes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭wilser

Vodafone are selling the 930 for €350 atm, €20 cheaper than the 830.
    Is this a good price?
    How cheap/easy are they to unlock?
    Looking to upgrade from my 925 ever since my wife got a 930, have a severe case of phone envy whenever I use her phone

wilser wrote: »
    Vodafone are selling the 930 for €350 atm, €20 cheaper than the 830.
    Is this a good price?
    How cheap/easy are they to unlock?
    Looking to upgrade from my 925 ever since my wife got a 930, have a severe case of phone envy whenever I use her phone

It's a great price. 930 is definitely superior to the 830 in many ways, however it's worth figuring out whether they are ways that matter to you. Specifically speaking, a higher spec Snapdragon processor that enables 4k video recording and "Hey Cortana" passive listening, a better camera sensor, higher res and nicer screen, twice as much RAM (this isn't a huge problem with WP anyway really, the 830 has plenty), and twice as much built in storage.

But on the flipside, the 830 is much more compact and lighter, has better battery life and a swappable battery, microSD slot for storage expansion, and swappable phone shells.

Of course, normally the 830 would also be much cheaper than the 930, so the comparison would be different. With the 930 being cheaper, it's up to the stuff above to help you choose. I have the 930 and I love it, but I also heavily considered the 830 and would have been very happy with it too.

Regarding unlocking, first check that they don't sell their phones unlocked anyway on PAYG (Three do), and if not, check out what their requirements are for being provided with a carrier unlock code. If they won't do it, there are third-party solutions that work fine, they'll cost you about EUR50 last time I tried (for a Lumia 1020).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Do they both have glance?

beauf wrote: »
    Do they both have glance?

I believe neither have Glance, the 930 certainly doesn't unfortunately

Edit: The 830 DOES have Glance, which is definitely another point in it's favour.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭quad_red

Considering taking the plunge on a Lumia 930.

Would love an iPhone 6 (disclaimer) but no way I'm pay €700 for one.

That Vodafone offer is interesting. If the phone can be unlocked cleanly for €50 then that's cheaper than most people are selling it second hand on adverts!

Has anyone gone from iOS (iphone 5) to this recently? How much of a culture shock was it?

Whats the Irish Rail app like for windows mobile? https://www.windowsphone.com/en-ie/store/app/irish-trains/2d4c7bff-bbea-400d-a95b-d2b60cb1933b

Most of the transport apps are very good - thankfully Ireland generally offers good, comprehensive open APIs for things like that, so third-party devs can build great apps themselves.

The one caveat I'd say with a 930 right now is, we do expect there to be a 940 at least announced within the next few months, hopefully for a late summer release.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭quad_red

MJohnston wrote: »
    Most of the transport apps are very good - thankfully Ireland generally offers good, comprehensive open APIs for things like that, so third-party devs can build great apps themselves.

The one caveat I'd say with a 930 right now is, we do expect there to be a 940 at least announced within the next few months, hopefully for a late summer release.

Thanks MJohnston. I don't think I'll be in the market for whatever the 940 costs but do you think news of it will reduce the 930 price much?

The 930 will still be getting Windows 10, right?

Yeah, it'll definitely get Windows 10, I think pretty much every WP8 device will be capable of getting it (whether they do or not being up to the network operators, but the Insider Previews offer people a workaround for that). I'm sure the price of the 930 will continue to drop over the rest of this year, I don't really know to what extent though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

quad_red wrote: »

Most of the transport apps are very good - thankfully Ireland generally offers good, comprehensive open APIs for things like that, so third-party devs can build great apps themselves. ...

I don't really like the train apps on windows phone. I find them awkward and slow. For Irish trains I set up a favourite to the Irish Rail Website, which usually remembers the station I'm looking at. Then pin favourite on the home screen and I've one for my two main stations.

This shows all trains passing through the station, as do the apps. I generally only want a specific trains not all trains. So I've actually gone a step further and take a screenshot of just their website. Which just my trains. And I have a pin to that picture (folder) on the home screen.

Both methods mean its only one click or two max to see your train times.

The Luas apps are much better, as are the bus ones. For some reason its just the train ones I dislike. The Nokia/Lumia app "here transit" works very well for working out a mix of walking, bus train between two locations and which journey times are longer. I prefer that the Irish Trains app.

I think the train apps are set up a bit like the bus or dart apps. Maybe its me but my use of trains is different. There isn't the same
    frequency of trains as Dart, bus etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

I imagine the '940' will be little improvement over the 930 (would personally like a return to a robust design) and will just be for MS to rerelease the phone with MS branding.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,380 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

My 930 just got an update, apparently to stop random reboots. It's happened a few times, but not enough to be something that ever bothered me, once every few weeks or so.

Advertisement