Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

overheating? or underperforming

Options
  • 20-04-2014 2:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭

I have a system that is causing me problems. It's overheating causing frozen screen. For instance, i thought my cooler wasn't working (as my pc is lying on it's side for that reason, the cooler pin was broken so i just stuck it to the CPU with some thermal paste.
    I got that fixed by buying a bigger heatsink+fan and it's now securely in and already had thermal stuff on it.
    It didn't make a difference. The core is still reporting 80 degrees celsius or so all the time. The artifacts im talking about are A: complete screene for approx 3-4 seconds, and after a couple of minutes, my mouse pointer turns into a an artifacted pink, yellow distorted pointer, usually this is when the freezes happen

Im just not sure if thats the problem. But im also noticing in some games especially ones like the witcer 2 ED, its very slow even on low or medium graphics. Any idea what i can change to fix both of these problems?

my system is as follows - Intel G620 CPU. Running stock at 2.6GHz. I have an A sus mainboard, not exactly sure of the type but it's a socket 1155. then i have 2gb of DDR 3 1333 with blue heatink and a 4gb regular ddr 3 1333 the issue was there before i added the 4gb, i was only running on 2gb, and the extra 4 seems to have made little to no difference in any games i've tried?. WD 250GB 7200rpm HDD, i have a GFX card thats an Asus GTX-460 GDDR5

So do you think replacing the CPU with an i5 maybe would fix both? or do you think GTX would have to go also as maybe that can't handle the witcer and much newer games?

ty

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭smileyj1987

Did you clean the old thermal grease off your CPU ? Too much thermal grease can be a bad thing also .

• Registered Users Posts: 83,279 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

the cooler pin was broken so i just stuck it to the CPU with some thermal paste.
    oye.

G620 for Witcher 2 would be a pipe dream. It's what we sold to old folk who wanted to check their email, the CPU has since been declared end of life.

Hopefully by broken cooler pin you mean the stock cooler that came with the CPU.

More than likely you're maxing out the CPU with tasks it can't really do, a hard lesson I learned from Doom 3, I could get about 5 minutes of play in before the machine shut off at 100C.

G620 and farmville, fine, G620 and full blown PC gaming well you've got the wrong part.

Advertisement