Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Improvements to Windows 8

• 20-04-2014 3:02am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,792 ✭✭✭✭

So I'm liking the latest update on my Win8 laptop.

Now any apps I have open are displayed in the task bar when I switch back to the desktop (Windows 7 mode);)

This is a great improvement as now you can close the open apps from the task bar rather than opening the task manager utility.

Is this new or am I late discovering these features?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 772 ✭✭✭maki

Yes these changes were just made this month in what they're calling Windows 8.1 Update 1. It seems Microsoft is finally starting to realise that Windows 8 is a bit of a train wreck and are actually starting to listen to customer feedback. There's even another update on the horizon that will be fully restoring a new and improved start menu.

But to be honest I feel that it's too late. Windows 8 already has a bad reputation and is more that likely going to be Vista v2. It's even selling at more or less the same rate as Vista did at this time in its life cycle.

Of course there's an oddly high proportion of Windows 8 apologists on this forum who claim that Windows 8 is fine if you install this software, tweak that setting, and use these keyboard shortcuts. Which is ridiculous. I shouldn't need to use third party software to have to bypass a crippled UI. It's like going into a car dealership and ordering a red car, but when you go in the next week they've instead ordered a blue car for you, and tell you that you can always paint it red yourself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭200motels

maki wrote: »
    Yes these changes were just made this month in what they're calling Windows 8.1 Update 1. It seems Microsoft is finally starting to realise that Windows 8 is a bit of a train wreck and are actually starting to listen to customer feedback. There's even another update on the horizon that will be fully restoring a new and improved start menu.

But to be honest I feel that it's too late. Windows 8 already has a bad reputation and is more that likely going to be Vista v2. It's even selling at more or less the same rate as Vista did at this time in its life cycle.

Of course there's an oddly high proportion of Windows 8 apologists on this forum who claim that Windows 8 is fine if you install this software, tweak that setting, and use these keyboard shortcuts. Which is ridiculous. I shouldn't need to use third party software to have to bypass a crippled UI. It's like going into a car dealership and ordering a red car, but when you go in the next week they've instead ordered a blue car for you, and tell you that you can always paint it red yourself.
    I couldn't have put it better myself. Excellent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

The UI is great if you learn how to use it. It suits some people and doesn't suit others, it makes everything faster for me.

Windows 8 is much faster and resource efficient too.

99% of people don't understand how to use a computer they have just learned the process to get the computer to do what they want.

The app bar has always been there, it used to be on the left and only appeared on hovering but now its mixed in with the taskbar.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,017 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,792 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

GarIT wrote: »
    The UI is great if you learn how to use it. It suits some people and doesn't suit others, it makes everything faster for me.

Windows 8 is much faster and resource efficient too.

99% of people don't understand how to use a computer they have just learned the process to get the computer to do what they want.

The app bar has always been there, it used to be on the left and only appeared on hovering but now its mixed in with the taskbar.

I dont mind 8 it just takes a bit of time remembering and getting use to the shortcuts. The apps now being displayed in the task bar is a massive plus, I'll probably use the tile interface a lot more now because of this addition.

I've been hovering away here on the left of my screen here and nothing seems to be appearing. Only the settings bar appears when I hover in the corners of the screen on the right hand side.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,343 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

So you wont install a simple third party program to turn Windows 8 into probably the best OS Microsoft have made, yet I assume you're more than happy to install the likes of Google Chrome, Firefox et al? Thats your prerogative I guess. Seems that some people are happier to type massive paragraphs about how crap Windows 8 is without even giving it a chance. I have used Windows 8 (not 8.1) for the past few months with Classic Shell and I have not once seen the Metro desktop in that time. Its fast, its responsive, its stable and its secure. But as I said, its your prerogative if you dont want to take the time to give it a chance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,792 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

I just noticed that there is a thread already covering this.

PropJoe10 wrote: »
    So you wont install a simple third party program to turn Windows 8 into probably the best OS Microsoft have made, yet I assume you're more than happy to install the likes of Google Chrome, Firefox et al? Thats your prerogative I guess. Seems that some people are happier to type massive paragraphs about how crap Windows 8 is without even giving it a chance. I have used Windows 8 (not 8.1) for the past few months with Classic Shell and I have not once seen the Metro desktop in that time. Its fast, its responsive, its stable and its secure. But as I said, its your prerogative if you dont want to take the time to give it a chance.
    That's a fair statement, the best OS they have made, could you explain how it is possible for this to be so?

200motels wrote: »
    That's a fair statement, the best OS they have made, could you explain how it is possible for this to be so?

Well compared to Windows 7 or XP, it boots faster, its far snappier to use, I've never once had a virus on it and everything just seems to run far smoother, including my game catalogue. I guess its a matter of personal preference but for me, its a massive improvement on Windows 7. I really dislike the Metro interface, but I think its childish to use the Metro thing as a reason to write it off, especially seeing how easily you can disable it. I cannot think of one reason why a user would go back to Windows 7 after using Windows 8. Can you tell me why you think 7 is better than 8, or is it just your dislike of the Metro interface that puts you off 8?

Well compared to Windows 7 or XP, it boots faster, its far snappier to use, I've never once had a virus on it and everything just seems to run far smoother, including my game catalogue. I guess its a matter of personal preference but for me, its a massive improvement on Windows 7. I really dislike the Metro interface, but I think its childish to use the Metro thing as a reason to write it off, especially seeing how easily you can disable it. I cannot think of one reason why a user would go back to Windows 7 after using Windows 8. Can you tell me why you think 7 is better than 8, or is it just your dislike of the Metro interface that puts you off 8?
    I had 8 when it came out and 8.1 but just didn't like the overall feel of it, got rid of it but my daughter wanted it back last week so I put it back as a dual boot with 7, I still don't particularly like it as I have to try and find everything on it, unlike 7 where I know where everything is, but the improvements to it with the last update are not so bad, it does boot faster than 7 that their is no doubt and quicker to open browsers and so forth, but I'll stick with 7 as I just prefer the overall ease of use that it has.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 772 ✭✭✭maki

If it was their best OS it wouldn't need 3rd party software to get it that way.

Did I say somewhere that I didn't give it a chance? I've been running Windows 8 on one of my laptops since it was released on MSDN. I won't deny that it's a fine OS once you chop and change it down to what you want. The issue is that your average user won't do that. First impressions mean a lot, and Windows 8 comes across as a complete mess from the outset.

Pictures and movies by default open in Metro. Bluetooth options open in fullscreen Metro. Wifi network selection takes up 20% of the screen. System settings are now split up between Metro settings and Control Panel. Want to shut down without a 3rd party shell? Good luck finding it.

Fast boot is pretty much a placebo since it's essentially just hibernate instead of shutting down. This is especially annoying when an installer wants you to restart, because shutting down and restarting doesn't cut it anymore.

The fact that Microsoft has fired Windows 8's chief designer, and has been doing a double take on almost every Windows 8 design decision must surely chime in as admission of some sort of failure?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,687 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

I praise them for trying something new, and in the initial build I thought the search was nifty for touch.

Having said that, they butchered functionality from Windows 7 - most again the average user won't know or care about, like the ability to go in and forget wireless network settings. And 8.1 on my machines broke the search index's functionality/reliability. It's spotty.

If it was their best OS it wouldn't need 3rd party software to get it that way.

Did I say somewhere that I didn't give it a chance? I've been running Windows 8 on one of my laptops since it was released on MSDN. I won't deny that it's a fine OS once you chop and change it down to what you want. The issue is that your average user won't do that. First impressions mean a lot, and Windows 8 comes across as a complete mess from the outset.

Pictures and movies by default open in Metro. Bluetooth options open in fullscreen Metro. Wifi network selection takes up 20% of the screen. System settings are now split up between Metro settings and Control Panel. Want to shut down without a 3rd party shell? Good luck finding it.

Fast boot is pretty much a placebo since it's essentially just hibernate instead of shutting down. This is especially annoying when an installer wants you to restart, because shutting down and restarting doesn't cut it anymore.

The fact that Microsoft has fired Windows 8's chief designer, and has been doing a double take on almost every Windows 8 design decision must surely chime in as admission of some sort of failure?

Pictures, movies, PDFs etc will open in Metro if you dont install your own apps, yes, which I assume most people would do anyway. But in any case, if you dont like Windows 8, fair enough. I wont bother trying to convert you. Windows 7 is also a fine OS which I've enjoyed for many years, I just think 8 is a step up in most areas.

Overheal wrote: »
    I praise them for trying something new, and in the initial build I thought the search was nifty for touch.

Having said that, they butchered functionality from Windows 7 - most again the average user won't know or care about, like the ability to go in and forget wireless network settings. And 8.1 on my machines broke the search index's functionality/reliability. It's spotty.

Thankfully they restored this feature in the recent update. I was getting very tired of using the command line for it.
    Want to shut down without a 3rd party shell? Good luck finding it.
    Not anymore, it's on the Start screen in the top right. :) It was ridiculous beforehand though; when I first tried Windows 8 I ended up googling how to shut it down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,687 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Where is the forget network option?

You can right-click or long tap the network like in Windows 8. It's also in PC Settings under Network > Manage known networks

Advertisement