Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Transfer from foreign account

Options
  • 20-04-2014 3:17am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 358 ✭✭

Simple question: a friend of mine from America - with a US account - needs to transfer money to my Irish AIB one.

I am going to provide them with the swift code, account number and sort code. Is there anything else they need to make the transfer?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭vard

Can I ask what amount you're looking to send? It might be easier/simpler and likely cheaper to use a transfer service such as transferwise. Affiliate link! https://transferwise.com/u/fc591 - there are other ones too. They all tend to do the same thing.

Paypal is good for amounts under 500 USD. Flat fee of 5 dollars or so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 358 ✭✭SPM1959

It's a few thousand dollars and he will be going into his bank tomorrow to do it I believe.

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭vard

SPM1959 wrote: »
    It's a few thousand dollars and he will be going into his bank tomorrow to do it I believe.

Use a transfer service. No need to go to a bank, avoid additional fees/commission. Xoom is another one which I've heard good things about.

Banks **** you over with charges and give you piss poor exchange rates.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 358 ✭✭SPM1959

I'll mention it to him. Thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

Assuming you actually want to receive euros.... tell him to use this: www.midpoint.com

Unless he is a dedicated fx trader the above will give him the best rate (better than xoom and currencyfair etc in my experience). As said by other poster above - DO NOT USE BANK.

• Advertisement
Advertisement