Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Neighbours being problematic.

Options
  • 20-04-2014 8:19am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭

First time poster so go easy.

Basically, I bought my house from a builder back in 06, house next door was empty for a good few years, then suddenly someone moved in.

The person in the house got the mortgage via the affordable housing scheme at the time, first few months all was grand, the neighbour kept themselves to themselves, but then I noticed the person originally living there seemed to have 'swapped' houses with the parent. Again no big deal to me.

Things then took a turn for the worse, the parents car had its back window broken one night. I have Garda at my door a week later, I was the suspect (according to the neighbour)

Then I get accused of putting rubbish in her garden (i have never in my life placed rubbish anywhere except my own, paid for bins) again Gardai visit.

Came home one Halloween evening to find a bag of rubbish placed on my front door step (no proof, but I can guess who left it)

Gardai very sympathetic to me, and let me know from the start they have been compelled to visit on the neighbours 'complaint' but they know I have not been interfering with car/garden.

Now though, no one is living in house at all, but security cameras have been installed front and back of house. No issues with this at all. I mean they're covering my yard too. So I've basically got cctv covering my property.

However silliness has now returned, neighbour pops back to their property to check on things once or twice a week, (neighbour and parent both residing in the parents rather large house about a mile away) every time they return I am noticing things thrown over my wall at the front of my house, rubbish, Moss, dirt etc.

Neighbours obviously finding things in the garden and assuming I've placed it there, is chucking it into my property where they believe it's originated from (wrongly)

It does kind of suck that they're making things awkward / unpleasant even if they're only returning now and again (in saying that, I had Moss and thrown over my work vehicle sometime between 3 and 4 on Friday, and again between 8 and 9 am yesterday :mad:.

I'm wondering what options I have. This neighbour isn't a tenant of the council's as they are in shared ownership, so whom can I make a complaint too? (I do believe they're in breach of the conditions of affordable housing scheme, namely they are not living in the property)

I don't want to hassle the Garda about it, and feel the neighbour(s) are beyond approaching directly.

I am a hard working family man. I do not need this hassle tbh, nor do my wife and 2 small children but this has to end.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭XsApollo

Report them to the council.
    Call in to the housing section of the local council and explain to them.
    There's rules regarding affordable housing, as in the owner must be living there.

Also there's laws regarding CCTV to I think?
    He can't have cameras over looking your yard because he wants to. Report him for that too.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭newbie13

If you see what I have to put up with for almost 3 years, you would thankful to your situation.

I am renting a semi-detached house in very nice area of the town except my neighbours who are member of Travellers Community.They are renting their house from a Relative of them.I am a non-national and living in Ireland 7-8 years.

I dont want to insult or being discriminating people, but this people have no respect to others around them.Their kids are playing soccer,hurling ,rugby on our street in front my house and green area. Many times I have seen that they hit to my car with the ball.

No matter what time is it they get in their car very early in the morning or late evening, turn on radio very very loudly.Always press horn of car again late evening when my kids are in bed. long beeeeeep with the horn.

They left their bags ,kids bike ,shopping trolley everything on my drive way, I can not park my own car in front of my house.They have a big caravan as well and they park the caravan in front of the other house which empty.(nobody lives).

I saw them many times in my back garden, and kids are sitting on my side of the garden wall.They pretend they own every where.Same for the front of house. Other relatives came over to visit them and they are the same.They all shout , all children run through in front of my house and my car.They sit down in front of my door and talk and talk for hours.

they dont pay for Rubbish Collection. I put my bins out on the footpath at night for early waste collection they put their rubbish in my bin. I have warned them many times. Do you know what he said to me : because i have very little waste this week ,the bin is half empty ,so he wants to fill the bin .. Unbelievable.

I had already informed my landlord about the what exactly they are doing but my landlord always says : " I am doing my best to speak their landlord" since I moved in to this place.

There are 4-5 more Irish home owners on our street and area.they are complaining as well what the kids and other doing but they dont take any action to solve any issue.

now you understand what position I am in.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭Flippyfloppy

Jeepers. By the sounds of it they wouldn't help you out with their CCTV if you needed it. Maybe get your own , discreet CCTV?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 511 ✭✭✭col.in.Cr

I am renting a semi-detached house in very nice area of the town except my neighbours who are member of Travellers Community.They are renting their house from a Relative of them.I am a non-national and living in Ireland 7-8 years.

Why the **** are you still living there for?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

Im not expert. But that neighbour sounds like they have a few screw loose. If I was in your situation I would get CCTV too. Some day they might decide to get back at you, for something you didnt do( like the fact they still throw stuff over in your garden, but they can obviously tell from CCTV that your not throwing stuff over).

Wouldnt be a bad idea calling the council.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

Could you get your own cctv? Could you up sticks and leave?
    these kinds of people are more trouble than they're worth and from reading your posts I can see they would be no chance they would be willing to be reasonable.

If the house is empty but they visit occasionally, is there any chance something is being cultivated in it?

Sorry you're having to deal with people like this, it must be awful.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,195 ✭✭✭GrumpyMe

...I am noticing things thrown over my wall at the front of my house, rubbish, Moss, dirt etc. ...in saying that, I had Moss and thrown over my work vehicle sometime between 3 and 4 on Friday, and again between 8 and 9 am yesterday...

You may have other issues with neighbours but by far the biggest culprits for throwing moss around are magpies and crows!
    They root around under and often pick up and chuck about the moss growing in gutters looking for insects!
    HTH

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

hfallada wrote: »
    Im not expert. But that neighbour sounds like they have a few screw loose. If I was in your situation I would get CCTV too. Some day they might decide to get back at you, for something you didnt do( like the fact they still throw stuff over in your garden, but they can obviously tell from CCTV that your not throwing stuff over).

Wouldnt be a bad idea calling the council.

The 'screw loose' seems to be a view shared by many within our village (the 2 are well known as reclusive)

I suspect the CCTV may be dummies, otherwise why would they have the gall to throw stuff in my property if there was a chance they'd be asked for the CCTV proof?

I'm going to start documenting things, keep a diary of events including pictures.

I know if I was in breach of the terms and conditions in order to receive a house I'd be keeping my head down. Not so with this individual. Bizarre behaviour altogether.

GrumpyMe wrote: »
    You may have other issues with neighbours but by far the biggest culprits for throwing moss around are magpies and crows!
    They root around under and often pick up and chuck about the moss growing in gutters looking for insects!
    HTH

It is not magpies. Believe me.

However, if it is magpies, they have a remarkable aim. Right over my windscreen and bonnet, coming from the same direction, twice in under 24hrs.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

newbie13 wrote: »
    If you see what I have to put up with for almost 3 years, you would thankful to your situation...

I am renting a semi-detached house...

There are 4-5 more Irish home owners on our street and area.they are complaining as well what the kids and other doing but they dont take any action to solve any issue....
    ....now you understand what position I am in.

You are the lucky one, you are Renting. If I was in your situation I would be moving out very quickly, because it is not going to get any better.

@BanjoString,
    Very difficult situation to be in.
    I echo what others suggest about getting your own CCTV in and recording your looney neighbours antics. Keep a record of the events and maybe get some advise from the Garda on dealing with them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,195 ✭✭✭GrumpyMe

It is not magpies. Believe me.

However, if it is magpies, they have a remarkable aim. Right over my windscreen and bonnet, coming from the same direction, twice in under 24hrs.

Q: Where are they getting the moss?

Maybe it is magpies doing it in their garden and they retaliate against you?
    (But maybe they are just bad neighbours! - In that case you have my sympathy!)

GrumpyMe wrote: »
    Q: Where are they getting the moss?

Maybe it is magpies doing it in their garden and they retaliate against you?
    (But maybe they are just bad neighbours! - In that case you have my sympathy!)

Loads of in their yard on the concrete.

I think I will have to look into getting a very discreet CCTV of my own installed.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,959 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Now though, no one is living in house at all, but security cameras have been installed front and back of house. No issues with this at all. I mean they're covering my yard too. So I've basically got cctv covering my property.

However silliness has now returned, neighbour pops back to their property to check on things once or twice a week,

I would be reporting this to the guards: sounds like it's being used as a grow-house.

Or maybe they're just deranged. That happens sometimes, too. You may consider getting some kind of protection order (dunno what the legal framework for this is here - maybe Citizen's Advice can help) - but that may or may not help.

I would be reporting this to the guards: sounds like it's being used as a grow-house.

Or maybe they're just deranged. That happens sometimes, too. You may consider getting some kind of protection order (dunno what the legal framework for this is here - maybe Citizen's Advice can help) - but that may or may not help.

No, I've heard it via a friend who knows them.

House obtained via affordable housing scheme, plan being on selling the big family home and the parent and sibling reside permanently in affordable house with lump sum in bank.

Property crash arrives, family home price plummeted, they're now stuck with 2 houses, so biding their time until market recovers.

Completely and utterly abusing the system. (but I'm not overly concerned with that) I'm more worried that they don't really know how to behave living in close proximity to other people.

I am going to possibly call in with council on this one. They're kind of letting the house fall into disrepair also, (to be expected if the house has been vacated)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Rhys Essien

OP,your neighbours cameras cannot be overlooking your property.I was told this by a Garda Sargeant a few years ago.This is a Garda matter right away.

Advertisement