Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oxygone

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,216 ✭✭✭Looper007

Yea the massive direction switch seriously backfired in the end . MCD deserve it in the end . If you look how well it was doing till about 2008/2009 pretty much sell outs then they decide to start changing things . Even with a fairly good line up (whether you like them or not) 2011 with 4 big headliner draws in FF/Coldplay/Beyonce/Arctic Monkeys (and only 2 actually headlined Oxegen)

Also i think in the end it kinda felt they would just book acts just for the sake of it .Also i feel that the average rock/indie genre fan would be more willing to actually go to a festival instead of fan maybe who is more into EDM/pop music would rather go to 1 day gigs

I think the prices going up and making it a three day Festival was a mistake, during downturn in Jobs and such meaning no one could afford three days or even two. Adding in too many chart Dance Friendly and pop acts did put off the audience that went before. I really think it became a "Hip" thing to be at for 17/18/19 year old kids who probably weren't into any of music but to post pictures on their Facebook, acting like muppets when they are drunk just to say they were there. Will it happen to Electric Pinic, only time will tell.

It started feeling less Friendly around 2009, when the security wasn't as tight, the audience were getting a little drunker and violent, the acts became less interesting. Maybe that's just me but from that year onwards it was less fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,929 ✭✭✭raven136

Its a pity really.

There is an audience for dance/edm gigs here no doubt just not an audience willing to go to a badly run festival

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭iForgetMyPW

It's a shame I had the time of my life in 2011 (some weekend). I was on holiday last August so I couldn't go but I definitely would of going even though the music wasn't exactly to my liking.

Non of these other gigs in Ireland compare, I guess I will have to save up for a festival in UK. Why did they have to destroy it with making all these separate gigs. It got some bad press but I saw no trouble, sure I met my gf at it :)

Advertisement