Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best year of all time for Music

Options
  • 20-04-2014 11:27am
    Registered Users Posts: 5

1960s to today?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,565 ✭✭✭losthorizon

1967 by far and I mean by far. A simply stunning year for music.

Lets go through the evidence

The greatest ever samba album was released that year by Astrud Gilberto called Beach Samba - She of "The Girl From Ipanema" fame.

Nico released Chelsea Girl

Probably the most famous album of all time appeared Sgt. Peppers Lonely Hearts Club Band. Its not my favourite Beatles record but I think at this stage like many other people that could be down to over familiarity.

Country Joe and the Fish produced Electric Music for the Mind and Body which is one of the many psychedelic classics released that year.

Buffalo Springfield released their second album - a band with three great writers and two genuine superstars.

Moby Grape released their first album - the most under-rated band ever. Never really made it because of being caught with under-age girls, a drugs bust oh and one of the band members was giving the finger on the cover of their albumwhich nobody noticed at the time. Plus their record company made a **** up by releasing five singles at the same time meaning none of them charted.

Love relased the album De Capo

The Beau Brummels gave us Traingle

Tim Bukley who died so early released Goodbye and Hello.
    Love also released Love changes a simply stunning album

Cream - Disraeli Gears - possibly one of the greatest albums of all time. Sorry I used the word possibly.

Pink Floyd - The Piper at the Gates of Dawn
    The Who- The Who Sell out

The Velvet Underground -The Velvet Underground and Nico
    The Doors - The Doors
    My favourite group of all time released their best ever album - The Byrds with Younger than Yesterday

Jefferson Airplane - Surrelistic Pillow - their first (I Think) and best by far album

Something else by the Kinks

Donovan - Sunshine Superman
    The Jimi Hendrix Experience - Are you Experienced
    Moody Blues - Days of Future Passed
    Velvet Underground _ White Light/White Heat

And this is a time when the single was king not the album!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,891 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

My three favourite years would be 1967, 1994 and 1984.

Advertisement