Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

British Pathe Footage: Sligo 1922

Options
  • 20-04-2014 1:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭

Posting just in case some members not seen before. British Pathe footage just released on You Tube.

Is that the current location of Hargadons pub at 2:46? Looks like the same facade.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭red sean

No. It seems to be a shot from Castle St. I think that's Higgins's Pharmacy (formerly Harry Slowey's) in the left background.
    Camera appears to be outside the Trades Club.

Nice bit of local history there. Thanks for posting!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

red sean wrote: »
    No. It seems to be a shot from Castle St. I think that's Higgins's Pharmacy (formerly Harry Slowey's) in the left background.
    Camera appears to be outside the Trades Club.

Nice bit of local history there. Thanks for posting!

I think you're spot on there. The street directly behind the crowd is Grattan street and just to the left behind the crowd is Market Street (where the Land Erin statue currently is)

That's when we had some fight in us! Wonder would they have accepted all the taxes the government is putting on us !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭Kettleson

zorro2566 wrote: »
    That's when we had some fight in us! Wonder would they have accepted all the taxes the government is putting on us !

I'd like to think so Zorro, but todays' politicians and their pack followers only leave me feeling apathetic and suspect as to any political motives.

The family grand-father was a participant, Sligo anti-treaty. After his arrest in 1922 and release from internment in the Phoenix Park in December 1923 had very little option but to leave for England.

Always on the lookout for pictures from around that time if anyone out there has any.

http://www.sligolibrary.ie/sligolibrarynew/media/CIVILWAR%20(18).pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

zorro2566 wrote: »

The operative word their being 'had' unfortunately. This country now owns the patent on apathy and taking it up the arsé for others.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭shellyriver

Fight, ha ha! Some fight! Shooting rabbits was about all those guns were good for - unless of course you're shooting unarmed me - they were good at that.

This was a Civil War (typical Paddy fighting amongst themsleves).

Facts around this piece of theatre -
    300-400 Republicans holed up in the Sligo GPO, Town Hall and Imperial Hotel.

30-40 Free Staters rolled in -- drove armoured car up to the front of GPO, parked up for a while to enjoy the views. Game over. Griffith had free speech insured.

Pilkington (Commanding General) later found and arrested in Keash whilst on a bicycle.

Brian Lenihan's g-grandfather was harbouring these brave Republicans around Ben Bulben. The whole lot should have put up against a wall - saved us 100 years of a dysfunctional dys-State.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭Kettleson

Plazaman wrote: »
    I think that "James Currie" shop would be around where Kates Kitchen is now. Pity there's now sound but I do imagine the whole commentary British Plummy Accent with the background trumpet orchestra etc. "The boys of Sligo shop down those trees and defend positions with gusto...."

Whatever do you mean Sir!??

Advertisement