Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving to USA...?

Options
  • 20-04-2014 2:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hey there
    I'm currently studying business and economics in trinity and at the end of my degree I would absolutely love to get the chance to live in the us. I'm posting in here just for advice basically as I'm not really too familiar with the whole visa situation etc. I know there's a 12 month visa for degree holders but with regards to maybe staying longer than a year what would my options be? Is it possible to find an employer in the area of finance who would be willing to sponsor me for a longer term visa? Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Moved from Living Abroad to US forum as the folks here will be able to provide more specific advice.

tHB

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭silja

Yes it is possible to find such employers, though fairly unlikely for a new grad- unless you go on the year long J1 first and really impress them maybe.

Another option is to enter the Diversity Visa lottery.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Another option would be to get a job here with a multinational company that has a US office. After a couple of years, apply for a transfer on an L1 visa. It costs a company thousands of dollars to sponsor an employee for a work visa. There is paper work, legal fees etc etc. They also often have to prove that no US citizen is available to do the work that they are hiring you to do.

Going over on the 12 month student J1 is definitely an option for you. It would not be unheard of for a company to be willing to go to all that trouble and expense for an employee that has only worked for them for a year and, is a recent graduate. It happens, but it wouldn't be incredibly common. It is generally cheaper and easier companies to just hire someone else once your 12 months are up. You'd stand a better chance of them being to sponsor you for a visa, if you have worked for them for a few years here and, you have have proven your worth to them over time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭spideog7

Do the 12 month J1 and keep your eyes open, people will have a lot more faith in a US reference especially if it's a reputable company. After my J1 I got a separate company to sponsor my H1B. I was also able to get 24 months on J1 by getting a second one so that might be an option for you too if the timing is right.

Advertisement