Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Not allowed to paint house?

Options
  • 20-04-2014 2:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭

We've gone sale agreed on a house, it's the third phase of the development other houses are up to six years old, they are all big fine houses but none of them are painted. I made a comment to a girl at work as her in laws own a house there and she said you are not allowed to paint the houses, could this be true? Why the houses would look so much better.

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

random10 wrote: »
    We've gone sale agreed on a house, it's the third phase of the development other houses are up to six years old, they are all big fine houses but none of them are painted. I made a comment to a girl at work as her in laws own a house there and she said you are not allowed to paint the houses, could this be true? Why the houses would look so much better.

When I bought my house, some of the rules attached to living there as part of the management contract included:

No greyhounds
    No running businesses from the house which could involve people calling to the house
    No hedges or plants of any kind that were more than 6 feet high
    No leylandyi
    No keeping hens
    And finally, the front door could only be painted one of six colours

What type of brick has the house been built with? Breeze block or more decorative?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,866 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Ridiculous when you think about it..

Unless it's illegal or in contravention of things like noise pollution laws, you should be able to do what you like with YOUR house.

I would not be dictated to by some Management Company if I'd gone through the effort and expense of buying a place - what exactly happens if you ignore them and paint your house a different colour?

I can only presume this all stems from the Irish attitude to property generally and "notions" about what it says about them.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

It is rather.

Our contract stated we had to keep a certain level of maintenance in relation to the garden/lawn and the "lawn" on the path outside our house, and had a clause to say that if it were not kept up to date, that the management company could do it themselves and charge back for it.

Twas full of notions, none of it was ever enforced

• Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭h2005

How would they go about enforcing this if you did paint the house?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,250 ✭✭✭✭bumper234

What can a management company do if you were to paint your house? Honestly never had any dealings with one so wondering if you are contracted to follow their "rules" or can you ignore? Has anyone ever broken a rule and been prosecuted by a management company? If you have just spent a few hundred grand on a property surely you have the right (within reason of course) to paint your home whatever colour you want.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Santa Cruz

bumper234 wrote: »
    What can a management company do if you were to paint your house? Honestly never had any dealings with one so wondering if you are contracted to follow their "rules" or can you ignore? Has anyone ever broken a rule and been prosecuted by a management company? If you have just spent a few hundred grand on a property surely you have the right (within reason of course) to paint your home whatever colour you want.

If there is a management company then every house owner is a shareholder. When purchasing the house they sign up to the company Articles and Lease. If you don't like the rules you have two options, dont join or join and try to get them changed at an EGM

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

It's all about changing the external appearance of the development, if there's a management company they shouldn't allow you to do it but should provide it periodically as a service.

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭random10

Santa Cruz wrote: »
    If there is a management company then every house owner is a shareholder. When purchasing the house they sign up to the company Articles and Lease. If you don't like the rules you have two options, dont join or join and try to get them changed at an EGM

Would it possible to change a rule like that at an AGM I wonder, I wouldn't mind if we were given a few choices

random10 wrote: »
    Would it possible to change a rule like that at an AGM I wonder, I wouldn't mind if we were given a few choices

It may be a planning permission issue but I certainly wouldn't suggest deviating from the official colour scheme, you may do tasteful but there's no recourse against crazy and a neighbour could seriously affect your resale value. At the end of the day of you've signed documents that say you will abide by certain rules you really should not break those rules. A uniform colour really does look so much better

Santa Cruz wrote: »

So you are not obligated to join and follow management company rules?

• Advertisement

So you are not obligated to join and follow management company rules?

It's not optional, a management company is a legal entity not a voluntary body like a residents association.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

Why do management companies exist? All they ever do is waste money and cause trouble for people, the only job they do is do the same things the council do for free anyway.

GarIT wrote: »
    Why do management companies exist? All they ever do is waste money and cause trouble for people, the only job they do is do the same things the council do for free anyway.

A legal requirement for developments in past decade or so. Lots of reasons, mostly legitimate but unless owners are proactive amd participate positively in the company (of which they are a member) the scope for things to do wrong is huge.

athtrasna wrote: »
    A legal requirement for developments in past decade or so. Lots of reasons, mostly legitimate but unless owners are proactive amd participate positively in the company (of which they are a member) the scope for things to do wrong is huge.

So a management company is required by law? It's just another reason to leave this country, a much bigger reason than unemployment.

So if I ever buy a new house I will have to have the hassle of dealing with a management company? IMO every management company is the equivalent to the private clamping companies.

I have never heard of any management company doing any good.

So a management company is required by law? It's just another reason to leave this country, a much bigger reason than unemployment.

I have never heard of any management company doing any good.

I am an owner director of ours and the development is in much better condition than when we took it over from the developer. It's taken a lot of time and work by the directors, all volunteers but we're proud of our development.

I am an owner director of ours and the development is in much better condition than when we took it over from the developer. It's taken a lot of time and work by the directors, all volunteers but we're proud of our development.

So if op decides to paint house what could/would happen?

Am sure most are well run but what happens if you get someone with a grudge against you on the committee or some busybody who wants to stir it?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

They are not "rules". They are legally binding components of a contract, which you are a party to. When you buy your property, you signed a document which listed every single clause of the contract, including these "rules". You should have read and understood those before buying. Your solicitor should have gone through them with you.

A management company has many positive things about it. It is comprised of all unit owners. If owners make even a small effort then things run very well and can bring benefits.

If you want clauses changed, then you need to get a 100% vote to change, including ALL parties to the contract (so this doesn't always mean just members of the management company, but can also include the land owner). And by 100%, I don't mean 100% of those who attend the AGM, but 100% of all members. You will almost never get a 100% attendance at an AGM. And even if passed by the vote, it may still need agreement from the local planning authority, depending on what clause you wish to change.

Does the condition matter if you are charging people a fee to live in their own home. Paying tax to the government is one thing but a management company is just insane.

Paulw wrote: »
    They are not "rules". They are legally binding components of a contract, which you are a party to. When you buy your property, you signed a document which listed every single clause of the contract, including these "rules". You should have read and understood those before buying. Your solicitor should have gone through them with you.

A management company has many positive things about it. It is comprised of all unit owners. If owners make even a small effort then things run very well and can bring benefits.

If you want clauses changed, then you need to get a 100% vote to change, including ALL parties to the contract (so this doesn't always mean just members of the management company, but can also include the land owner). And by 100%, I don't mean 100% of those who attend the AGM, but 100% of all members. You will almost never get a 100% attendance at an AGM. And even if passed by the vote, it may still need agreement from the local planning authority, depending on what clause you wish to change.

This country has really gone to the dogs. Name any positive things that a management company can do that outweigh the costs.

So if op decides to paint house what could/would happen?

Am sure most are well run but what happens if you get someone with a grudge against you on the committee or some busybody who wants to stir it?

If you break any clause, then the management company can take you to court for breach of contract. And, they will more than likely win.

Or, they can repaint your property, to the proper allowed colour, and then add the cost, plus any admin fees, to your management fees.

Of course, if you don't pay the fees, eventually it ends up in court, and again, the management company usually wins.

If people object to a director, and want to "stir it", then they are free to put themselves forward to be elected as director at the next AGM. But, again, the management company is made up of all unit members. These members elect directors at the AGM each year.

• Advertisement

Does the condition matter if you are charging people a fee to live in their own home. Paying tax to the government is one thing but a management company is just insane.

It's not profit making, it's money for insurance, gardening, refuse and structural repairs. The home owner doesn't have to pay these themselves, it's what the fees are for. Every owner is entitled to be a director and get involved if they have concerns about fees. As PaulW said, these are legally binding agreements owners have signed, if you don't like them buy somewhere else.

It's not profit making, it's money for insurance, gardening, refuse and structural repairs. The home owner doesn't have to pay these themselves, it's what the fees are for. Every owner is entitled to be a director and get involved if they have concerns about fees. As PaulW said, these are legally binding agreements owners have signed, if you don't like them buy somewhere else.

So if I have a management company, my personal gardens and rubbish is collected for free? I've never heard of that before. Management companies certainly don't get value for money as far as I can see. Maybe they are no for profit, but they do piss money away on things some residents cant afford.
    Even at 1k per year for bins and grass it is insane, any why would somebody pay for these twice? We already pay the council to maintain the local area, so why do we pay a management company to do the councils jobs, any residents association or anything like that is only ever the super stuck up people anyway, that have no idea of how financially stuck some people are.

Management companies certainly don't get value for money as far as I can see. Maybe they are no for profit, but they do piss money away on things some residents cant afford.

I assume you are speaking from experience? You're a member of a management company? Are you a director? Have you ever put yourself forward to be a director?

Have you ever checked the full accounts for your management company? Have you offered to help tender for the different services to get the best prices?

So if I have a management company, my personal gardens and rubbish is collected for free? I've never heard of that before. Management companies certainly don't get value for money as far as I can see. Maybe they are no for profit, but they do piss money away on things some residents cant afford.

In our development all common area gardens are looked after and we have bin sheds for refuse that all owners use. We do not pay separate refuse charges.

And we certainly get value for money and don't spend foolishly

In our development all common area gardens are looked after and we have bin sheds for refuse that all owners use. We do not pay separate refuse charges

That makes it a little more reasonable.

I assume you are speaking from experience? You're a member of a management company? Are you a director? Have you ever put yourself forward to be a director?

Have you ever checked the full accounts for your management company? Have you offered to help tender for the different services to get the best prices?

I'm not bothered getting involved, I just don't want other home owners dictate what I can do to my house.

Currently we pay €50 per year to have some grass cut 4 times per year that any of the local teenagers would be happy to do for €5. We have 42 houses paying €50 per year and get 0 back from it.

I'm not bothered getting involved, I just don't want other home owners dictate what I can do to my house.

Currently we pay €50 per year to have some grass cut 4 times per year that any of the local teenagers would be happy to do for €5. We have 42 houses paying €50 per year and get 0 back from it.
    That's a residents association, totally different kettle of fish, no legal basis

I'm not bothered getting involved.

Well, that sums up the majority of people who moan about management companies. I'm assuming it's a legally binding management company you are talking about, and not a resident's association, which has no basis in law and no ability to compel payment.

Those who complain most tend to be the ones who can't be bothered, but yet complain when others have to make the hard decisions.

As for cutting the grass, I'm sure these "teenagers" are insured to cut the grass? If not, and there was an accident, the directors could be directly financially responsible and liable for any claim.

Again, it's a case of bitching without getting involved and knowing the facts.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭Arbiter of Good Taste

Seriously? Worse than unemployment? Please think about what you have written.

• Advertisement

If you break any clause, then the management company can take you to court for breach of contract. And, they will more than likely win.

Or, they can repaint your property, to the proper allowed colour, and then add the cost, plus any admin fees, to your management fees.

Of course, if you don't pay the fees, eventually it ends up in court, and again, the management company usually wins.

If people object to a director, and want to "stir it", then they are free to put themselves forward to be elected as director at the next AGM. But, again, the management company is made up of all unit members. These members elect directors at the AGM each year.

Thanks for the answer, as i said have never had any dealings with a management company and where i am buying this year does not have one so was just wondering what the fuss is about.

Advertisement