Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mens leather trousers

• 20-04-2014 3:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 39

This is a topic that appears every so often: what's peoples opinion of men wearing leather trousers?
    I wear them all the time and I think the reason the topic reappears is that there are lots of guys that like to wear leather pants too but are lacking the confidence to do so.
    Opinions of ladies and gents?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39 justaguy112

This is a topic that appears every so often: what's peoples opinion of men wearing leather trousers?
    I wear them all the time and I think the reason the topic reappears is that there are lots of guys that like to wear leather pants too but are lacking the confidence to do so.

so any opinions...ok or not for men to wear leather jeans?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

They're grand, if you're the lead singer in an 80's hair metal band.

They're grand, if you're the lead singer in an 80's hair metal band.

ok?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

I have rarely seen a guy without celebrity status look good in them. That's not to say they can't, but I've yet to see it. I think they look a bit "try hard", you know? If a young guy is wearing them it seems a desperate bid to look grown up, and if an older guy wears them its seems like they want to relive their 'better days'.

I have rarely seen a guy without celebrity status look good in them. That's not to say they can't, but I've yet to see it. I think they look a bit "try hard", you know? If a young guy is wearing them it seems a desperate bid to look grown up, and if an older guy wears them its seems like they want to relive their 'better days'.

Thanks

• Advertisement

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

When I was 28 w 32 l I wore black leather jeans every day
    I didn't even know what I was doing I just liked them
    At one point I had three girlfriends in three different counties
    If you like them wear them
    If you care what other people think then leather jeans are not for you

Ps I'm happy when 36 w jeans (not leather) fit me these days but I'm married and I love her so it's ok . But if some one took my leather jean wearing days away ...
    Do it

Tigger wrote: »
    When I was 28 w 32 l I wore black leather jeans every day
    I didn't even know what I was doing I just liked them
    At one point I had three girlfriends in three different counties
    If you like them wear them
    If you care what other people think then leather jeans are not for you

Ps I'm happy when 36 w jeans (not leather) fit me these days but I'm married and I love her so it's ok . But if some one took my leather jean wearing days away ...
    Do it
    Thanks for your reply..when you say "I didn't even know what I was doing"...do you think it is perceived that a guy is gay if he wears leather pants?

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭mad_man4

Has anybody seen that episode of Friends.

Thanks for your reply..when you say "I didn't even know what I was doing"...do you think it is perceived that a guy is gay if he wears leather pants?

No I had no recognition of why people wouldn't wear leather jeans
    I just thought they suited me

About 1 gay man a year would make a Drunken pass but if they don't your probably doing your 20's wrong

• Advertisement

mad_man4 wrote: »

That was Ross
    I doubt op is Ross and if he is Ross got Rachel

No I had no recognition of why people wouldn't wear leather jeans
    I just thought they suited me

About 1 gay man a year would make a Drunken pass but if they don't your probably doing your 20's wrong

well I'm a lot older than 20 ! lol :-) but don't know why more guys don't wear them.

well I'm a lot older than 20 ! lol :-) but don't know why more guys don't wear them.

As you said its probably confidence but if you like them wear them
    Fashion is today but style and confidence in your own style is eternal

That was Ross
    I doubt op is Ross and if he is Ross got Rachel

I've no idea what this is about, so I musn't have seen that episode of Friends.

As you said its probably confidence but if you like them wear them
    Fashion is today but style and confidence in your own style is eternal

I'm with you on that

any comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

@justaguy112 please stop bumping the thread. Posters will reply when, and if, they want.

dudara

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

I have the same reaction to leather pants as I do to young guys wearing trench coats and fedoras.

178706.gif

Please don't try and convince yourself that men don't wear leather pants because they lack the confidence to do so, they don't wear them because they look ridiculous.

I have the same reaction to leather pants as I do to young guys wearing trench coats and fedoras.

Please don't try and convince yourself that men don't wear leather pants because they lack the confidence to do so, they don't wear them because they look ridiculous.

I dont necessarily agree but thanks for your opinion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,015 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

In my humble opinion OP, leather looks fantastic on the ladies but it doesn't look right on men. I think you'd find that to be the majority opinion.... and quite rightly so.

• Advertisement

In my humble opinion OP, leather looks fantastic on the ladies but it doesn't look right on men. I think you'd find that to be the majority opinion.... and quite rightly so.

Thank you for your opinion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

Johnny Logan was on the Late Late recently and I think there was more commentary afterwards on the leather trousers he wore rather than what he sang or said. That will probably give you a clue as to people's opinions although if you wear them all the time yourself, wouldn't you get a fair idea from the feedback of people around you seeing you wearing them?

ongarboy wrote: »
    Johnny Logan was on the Late Late recently and I think there was more commentary afterwards on the leather trousers he wore rather than what he sang or said. That will probably give you a clue as to people's opinions although if you wear them all the time yourself, wouldn't you get a fair idea from the feedback of people around you seeing you wearing them?[/quote
    Thanks.
    Yes Johnny Logan wears leather trousers regularly and looks great.
    I don't get any comments, positive or negative, when I wear leather pants.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,366 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

I have to say, that was the first thing that popped into my mind when I saw this thread title :D

I'm not sure about leather pants on a guy. If you are riding a motorbike then yes they are fine, otherwise I wouldn't be keen on them. It's a hard look to pull off.

But if you wear them and like them then go for it

ceadaoin. wrote: »
    I have to say, that was the first thing that popped into my mind when I saw this thread title :D

I'm not sure about leather pants on a guy. If you are riding a motorbike then yes they are fine, otherwise I wouldn't be keen on them. It's a hard look to pull off.

But if you wear them and like them then go for it

Thanks Ceadaoin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭Banjoxed

The OP should either:

1. Wear what the hell he wants, or:

2. Ask everyone else's permission to wear whatever they think he should wear.

Banjoxed wrote: »
    The OP should either:

1. Wear what the hell he wants, or:

2. Ask everyone else's permission to wear whatever they think he should wear.

Thanks, I asked for opinions, not permission.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

I think there is a certain style that goes with them. Like a bit left of center rocker/motorbikey/alternative/wild hair kind of guy who doesn't give sh1t and it suits them. It's par enough for the course for those type of guys where I'm from (Germany) but they seem very rare species in small town Ireland where I live now. Out n out bikers are more common tbh and of course they can wear anything anywar.
    In fact I know only one Irish guy like that. He's a bit of a mad head dealing in classic motorbikes and he looks perfectly at ease in them. They certainly don't look like fashion pants on him and I doubt he's having any advances from gay fellas at all.

But honestly I can't think of any other scenario in small town Ireland where these wouldn't raise eyebrows.
    In fact probably the same back home only at least back home the guy described above would be considered a recognised and normal enough kind of style minority whereas here you'd probably need to have it down to a tee or draw 'the look'.

In fact I own a pair of leather jeans myself, 501 style, birthday present from my bro, we're both into motorbikes a bit, but wasn't ever tempted to wear them. I'd feel ridiculous.

Boskowski wrote: »
    I think there is a certain style that goes with them. Like a bit left of center rocker/motorbikey/alternative/wild hair kind of guy who doesn't give sh1t and it suits them. It's par enough for the course for those type of guys where I'm from (Germany) but they seem very rare species in small town Ireland where I live now.
    In fact I know only one Irish guy like that. He's a bit of a mad head dealing in classic motorbikes kind of guy and he looks perfectly at ease in them. They certainly don't look like fashion pants on him and I doubt he's having any advances from gay fellas at all.

But honestly I can't think of any other scenario in small town Ireland where these wouldn't raise eyebrows.
    In fact probably the same back home only at least back home the guy described above would be considered a recognised and normal enough kind of style minority whereas here you'd probably need to have it down to a tee or draw 'the look'.

In fact I own a pair of leather jeans myself, 501 style, birthday present from my bro, we're both into motorbikes a bit, but wasn't ever tempted to wear them. I'd feel ridiculous.

Thanks for your reply. It makes sense to wear leathers if you're a biker for the protection they offer. I am not a biker but wear fashion leather pants.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,055 ✭✭✭Emme

Boskowski wrote: »
    I think there is a certain style that goes with them. Like a bit left of center rocker/motorbikey/alternative/wild hair kind of guy who doesn't give sh1t and it suits them. It's par enough for the course for those type of guys where I'm from (Germany) but they seem very rare species in small town Ireland where I live now. Out n out bikers are more common tbh and of course they can wear anything anywar.
    In fact I know only one Irish guy like that. He's a bit of a mad head dealing in classic motorbikes and he looks perfectly at ease in them. They certainly don't look like fashion pants on him and I doubt he's having any advances from gay fellas at all.

If you have to ask should you be wearing leather trousers then you probably shouldn't. It all depends on the lifestyle and attitude of the wearer. They go with a biker or bohemian/alternative lifestyle. A guy I know who is into BDSM wears leather trousers to BDSM events but doesn't wear them to work or to more mainstream situations. He considers leather trousers fetish wear.

A 50 year old biker could get away with wearing leather trousers. So could a 50 year old artist or rock musician. People like these do their own thing and don't give a toss what other people think. They don't follow the herd. A 25 year old with a more traditional lifestyle might look ridiculous in leather trousers.

If you're in doubt about wearing leather trousers buy a well cut pair of jeans instead and wear them with a nice leather jacket.

Leather trousers can be dodgy on women too. You have to have the confidence and the figure to pull them off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Thanks Ceadaoin

@justaguy112 - If you just want to thank a post, please use the "Thanks" function (the thumbs up button at the bottom of a post). There is no need to create a new post just to say "Thanks".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,763 ✭✭✭Sheeps

Leather pants are absurd.

Emme wrote: »
    If you have to ask should you be wearing leather trousers then you probably shouldn't. It all depends on the lifestyle and attitude of the wearer. They go with a biker or bohemian/alternative lifestyle. A guy I know who is into BDSM wears leather trousers to BDSM events but doesn't wear them to work or to more mainstream situations. He considers leather trousers fetish wear.

A 50 year old biker could get away with wearing leather trousers. So could a 50 year old artist or rock musician. People like these do their own thing and don't give a toss what other people think. They don't follow the herd. A 25 year old with a more traditional lifestyle might look ridiculous in leather trousers.

If you're in doubt about wearing leather trousers buy a well cut pair of jeans instead and wear them with a nice leather jacket.

Leather trousers can be dodgy on women too. You have to have the confidence and the figure to pull them off.
    Thanks
    I'm not a biker, I'm not into bdsm and I don't consider it a fetish.
    My image would be a smart sports jacket, a crisp shirt, well fitting leather pants and a good pair of shoes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,055 ✭✭✭Emme

Thanks
    I'm not a biker, I'm not into bdsm and I don't consider it a fetish.
    My image would be a smart sports jacket, a crisp shirt, well fitting leather pants and a good pair of shoes

This is not a look I have seen anywhere in Ireland but this a small country and we are conservative dressers. I prefer to see leather trousers dressed down on both men and women, otherwise it looks like you're trying too hard. In winter you could wear leather trousers with a chunky sweater and casual boots the same colour as the trousers. Never do double leather - i.e. leather trousers with a leather jacket - unless you're a biker.

I don't mean to be horrible, but the way you wear leather trousers screams lounge lizard.

What colour leather trousers do you wear?

Emme wrote: »
    This is not a look I have seen anywhere in Ireland but this a small country and we are conservative dressers. I prefer to see leather trousers dressed down on both men and women, otherwise it looks like you're trying too hard. In winter you could wear leather trousers with a chunky sweater and casual boots the same colour as the trousers. Never do double leather - i.e. leather trousers with a leather jacket - unless you're a biker.

I don't mean to be horrible, but the way you wear leather trousers screams lounge lizard.

What colour leather trousers do you wear?

I do actually do the chunky sweater and casual boots with leather pants look too.
    Leather trousers are always black.
    Thanks for your feedback.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,677 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

I only ever saw one guy wearing leather pants, unless someone is a slim build I don't think they're a good look on a man.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭sitstill

Leather trousers are part of the gay getish scene.

I only ever saw one guy wearing leather pants, unless someone is a slim build I don't think they're a good look on a man.

Thanks, yes I am slim build.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭Arthur Beesley

The one where Ross wears a pair if leather trousers on a date then takes them off while in her bathroom and can't get them back on?

No. What happens?

Does Russell Brand wear leather trousers?

• Advertisement

sitstill wrote: »
    Leather trousers are part of the gay getish scene.

Thanks, but I think its presumptuous to say that a guy is gay if he wears leather trousers.

Does Russell Brand wear leather trousers?

yes?

yes?

That pretty much says all you need to know about leather trousers. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 57 ✭✭Grey_Goose

I should think Leather trousers are rather expensive. This is not an item I would see in any of the chain stores or even mens fashion outfitters.
    If you have to ask the question what people think of Leather Trouser then I would think that maybe while you like the material you are not that comfortable wearing them. You will certainly stand out in the crowd as a fashion statement. Personally I prefer jeans or chinos for a casual look, they are a lot easer to clean I should think. Now if you are not self conscious with what you wear and you don't mind standing out in the crowd go for it man but I would also like to think you could wear ordinary denim jeans, cords etc and feel equally as good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭ElleEm

I recognise the OP's posting style from before. He seems to be fixated on leather trousers and skinny jeans. Neither are a look I personally find attractive on a man.

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,336 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

ElleEm wrote: »
    I recognise the OP's posting style from before. He seems to be fixated on leather trousers and skinny jeans. Neither are a look I personally find attractive on a man.

As per the Boards Terms of Use:
    You agree, through use of this service, NOT to use boards.ie to:

* identify or speculate as to the identity of any anonymous or pseudonymous user

If I see any more of this sort of thing going on I will be handing out sitebans.

ElleEm wrote: »

you are incorrect, I never posted on boards before.

Grey_Goose wrote: »
    I should think Leather trousers are rather expensive. This is not an item I would see in any of the chain stores or even mens fashion outfitters.
    If you have to ask the question what people think of Leather Trouser then I would think that maybe while you like the material you are not that comfortable wearing them. You will certainly stand out in the crowd as a fashion statement. Personally I prefer jeans or chinos for a casual look, they are a lot easer to clean I should think. Now if you are not self conscious with what you wear and you don't mind standing out in the crowd go for it man but I would also like to think you could wear ordinary denim jeans, cords etc and feel equally as good.

Thanks.

They cost €120 and upwards for good quality leather and yes they should be specialist dry cleaned. Cheaper 'leather look' types are available.
    Yes I like the material and the look but do not only wear leathers. I like fashion so would wear a variety of clothes and styles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭ElleEm

you are incorrect, I never posted on boards before.

Apologies.

Thanks.

They cost €120 and upwards for good quality leather and yes they should be specialist dry cleaned. Cheaper 'leather look' types are available.
    Yes I like the material and the look but do not only wear leathers. I like fashion so would wear a variety of clothes and styles.

Not sure it has anything to do with cost. I have spent more on jeans but wouldn't dream of buying a pair of leather trousers, regardless of cost.

• Advertisement
Advertisement