Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Predictions

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25 AKMCD2014

kb4321 wrote: »
    Ya that's what me and most of the people I know are doing :) Just look at the trends and pick 3/4 that are most likely! Make sure you know them all well so you can shuffle them around to fit what comes up :) Good luck!

Cheers! Yeah I have the 3/4 chosen for each section, so hopefully they will appear in some format! Good luck to you also! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭Badwulf

What are the chances of these coming up
    photosynthsis
    respiration
    defense immunity
    plant reproduction
    ecology
    enzymes
    human reproduction
    cell division
    food
    genitics
    breathing system
    excretion

• Registered Users Posts: 5,513 ✭✭✭bb1234567

Badwulf wrote: »
    photosynthsis
    respiration
    defense immunity
    plant reproduction
    ecology
    enzymes
    human reproduction
    cell division
    food
    genitics
    breathing system
    excretion

Theyre like all the most likely chapters to come up apart from enzymes, cell division, breathing system and excretion (but even those have a good chance!)

• Registered Users Posts: 26 CiaraRedmond

photosynthsis
    respiration
    defense immunity
    plant reproduction
    ecology
    enzymes
    human reproduction
    cell division
    food
    genitics
    breathing system
    excretion

The heart is supposed to come up somehow, either in section b or the long questions

• Registered Users Posts: 18 mjackson37

for history in northern ireland would i be ok if i only knew the welfare state, sunningdale agreement and coleraine controversy ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 collybolly

any hints for home ec or geog ???

collybolly wrote: »
    any hints for home ec or geog ???

There have been soooo many posts and threads about geograohy :P

• Registered Users Posts: 33 giraffegoat

in History what is most likely to come up for northern Ireland and america?

bb1234567 wrote: »
    Theyre like all the most likely chapters to come up apart from enzymes, cell division, breathing system and excretion (but even those have a good chance!)

why not enzymes? they come up nearly every year? same with cell division

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭yoajing

In the 2012 English exam, many students expected Plath to come up. She didn't. Instead, she popped up in the 2013 exam. It's extremely possible that it will be the same case with Heaney. There has been circulation going on, however, that he'll be in the unseen poetry.

I'm learning Plath, Bishop, Dickinson, and Mahon. Why only four? Because I'm regrettably lazy. Why these poets? The first three are the only female poets in the syllabus. Mahon was apparently badly answered last year.

• Advertisement

why not enzymes? they come up nearly every year? same with cell division

Idk I just didnt hear much about those chapters coming up! but why did you ask if you already knew haha:P

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭yoajing

For Home-Economics, I'm currently focusing on revising:

Q. 1/2:
    Protein/Calcium
    Eggs
    CHD
    Food choices/Irish Diet

AND

Protein
    Iron
    Meat
    Alternative protein foods
    Vegetarian diets

AND

Vitamin D
    Calcium
    Cheese/Yogurt/Milk (NB: Learn manufacture/production of all)
    Osteoporosis

Q. 3:
    Microbiology
    Food poisoning
    HACCP
    Food processing & preservation/additives
    Food laws

Q. 5: (Social Studies)
    Family
    Marriage
    Divorce
    Making a Will

Section C: (Social Elective)
    Social Change and the Family
    Reconciling Employment with Family Responsibilities
    Unemployment
    Leisure

• Registered Users Posts: 40 mmahony18

yoajing wrote: »
    In the 2012 English exam, many students expected Plath to come up. She didn't. Instead, she popped up in the 2013 exam. It's extremely possible that it will be the same case with Heaney. There has been circulation going on, however, that he'll be in the unseen poetry.

I'm learning Plath, Bishop, Dickinson, and Mahon. Why only four? Because I'm regrettably lazy. Why these poets? The first three are the only female poets in the syllabus. Mahon was apparently badly answered last year.

Heaney isn't on the English syllabus next year that's the thing, he isn't on the syllabus again until after 2018 and he last came in 2003 :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭EoghanIRL

Exactly why he wouldn't come up .
    Too obvious .
    The sec would have seen that . Think of all the people they could catch out . It makes the exam look too easy if people can definitely bank on a poet .

He could come too . Anyone's guess really .

• Registered Users Posts: 40 mmahony18

EoghanIRL wrote: »
    Too obvious .
    The sec would have seen that . Think of all the people they could catch out . It makes the exam look too easy if people can definitely bank on a poet .

He could come too . Anyone's guess
    really .
    No I agree completely I'm certainly not banking on him I'm too chicken to take the risk of less than 5 poets :P

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭fishnetsxD

For Home-Economics, I'm currently focusing on revising:

Q. 1/2:
    Protein/Calcium
    Eggs
    CHD
    Food choices/Irish Diet

AND

Protein
    Iron
    Meat
    Alternative protein foods
    Vegetarian diets

AND

Vitamin D
    Calcium
    Cheese/Yogurt
    Osteoporosis

Q. 3:
    Microbiology
    Food poisoning
    HACCP
    Food processing & preservation/additives
    Food laws

Q. 5: (Social Studies)
    Family
    Marriage
    Divorce
    Making a Will

I think additives could appear this year too :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭FatRat

Too obvious .

Why would they try to 'catch people out' though? They don't exactly go out of their way to see that people do poorly in exams. There has to be an element of predictability in the exams, otherwise they would be too difficult. That's the way I see it anyway, that's why they rarely put the same poets 2 years in a row. They want people to do well.. It'd make them look good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 165 ✭✭MikeSD

The heart is supposed to come up somehow, either in section b or the long questions

That list is extremely general. I really struggled with biology before because I couldn't narrow it down.
    I've improved since I've done all the longexam questions on each section for the last 10 years. I haven't done them all regrettably, but it is so repetitive if you do those questions and learn the answers for the sections you listed, you can do very well. Also, do all short questions from last 10 years. They are very repetitive. Experiments are very similar. Just get asked differently. Do past papers and learn the answers.

photosynthsis
    respiration
    defense immunity
    plant reproduction
    ecology
    enzymes
    human reproduction
    cell division
    food
    genitics
    breathing system
    excretion

Sorry replied to wrong person. Read above!.

Too obvious .

lol theyre not trying to catch people out, they wouldnt take him off the exam just because a lot of people bank on him. why would they want people to do worse?

• Advertisement

FatRat wrote: »
    Why would they try to 'catch people out' though? They don't exactly go out of their way to see that people do poorly in exams. There has to be an element of predictability in the exams, otherwise they would be too difficult. That's the way I see it anyway, that's why they rarely put the same poets 2 years in a row. They want people to do well.. It'd make them look good.

This. The SEC want to see people do well in there exams, there not some kind of faceless boogy men who think every year "NOW HOW CAN WE MAKE THIS PAPER AS HARD AS POSSIBLE THIS YEAR?!?!" They want to see you do well

This. The SEC want to see people do well in there exams, there not some kind of faceless boogy men who think every year "NOW HOW CAN WE MAKE THIS PAPER AS HARD AS POSSIBLE THIS YEAR?!?!" They want to see you do well

Exactly! People think that Macduff is likely to come up in Macbeth just because they think the SEC want to catch them out :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 5 dancinglaura

bb1234567 wrote: »
    No he said he thinks a macbeth/imagery combination question is likely, idk im just telling you what he said!

Likelihood of Macduff/Banquo question
    And imagery and symbolism coming up ? ? :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 300 ✭✭Poliana.xo

Honestly, everyone needs to calm down about Macbeth, they are hardly going to throw in Macduff or Malcolm or Banquo, so many people don't even look at these characters and would do very very bad. If they were going to start introducing minor characters, I think the worst that could happen this year is Banquo/Macbeth relationship. They won't randomly throw a Macduff question at us :P They haven't even asked much of L Macbeth, who is significantly more important.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,723 ✭✭✭MightyMandarin

Poliana.xo wrote: »
    Honestly, everyone needs to calm down about Macbeth, they are hardly going to throw in Macduff or Malcolm or Banquo, so many people don't even look at these characters and would do very very bad. If they were going to start introducing minor characters, I think the worst that could happen this year is Banquo/Macbeth relationship. They won't randomly throw a Macduff question at us :P They haven't even asked much of L Macbeth, who is significantly more important.

This, the SEC don't want people to do bad, especially no worse than other years, hence the presence of a bellcurve. If they look for the same performance in English, year on year, then a Banquo/Macduff question is highly unlikely. I'll assume Lady Macbeth will appear and of course if Banquo comes up, I'll look like a right fool, but I imagine that the sec would make the question harder to anwser before introducing minor characters.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 forevergold22

What's everyone's views on the poems and stories coming up in HL Irish that have already come up on the new course? :) I'm looking for a b3 and have revised all the other ones but no the ones that have already come up :/

English poetry was extremely easier years ago. You could just learn your poets, and answer a general question any way you liked. Now it's very specific.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 laylaax

Is it really risky doing only 3 poets Larkin , yeats and kinsella ?

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭Shane15

laylaax wrote: »
    Is it really risky doing only 3 poets Larkin , yeats and kinsella ?

I'm doing three poets too, Yeats, Heaney and Bishop. Heaney is my safety but I'm hoping Yeats comes up... or any of them really.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭richardh330

Regrettably lazy?? Half the country are only doing 2 (Heaney and Dickinson)! And another good few only one. Relatively you're a hard worker!

Advertisement