Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Predictions

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭fishnetsxD

Mayo4sam14 wrote: »
    If banquo did come up, what would you right about concerning him?

It's on the previous page of thread

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Lara12345678

Does anyone know roughly when the papers are set? This could make a huge difference in terms of predicting in all papers.
    Items that were major world or even national news are likely to appear as they try and make the papers relavent.
    e.g Nelson Mandela's death could result in some form of question in a variety of subjects
    He died the 5th December. However,If the papers are set before then it is irrelevant such as recent news e.g Maya Angelou's death will not appear on any of the papers.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 LeavingCertee

Does anyone know roughly when the papers are set? This could make a huge difference in terms of predicting in all papers.
    Items that were major world or even national news are likely to appear as they try and make the papers relavent.
    e.g Nelson Mandela's death could result in some form of question in a variety of subjects
    He died the 5th December. However,If the papers are set before then it is irrelevant such as recent news e.g Maya Angelou's death will not appear on any of the papers.

Set before Christmas, which is why so many people are banking on Heaney for Paper 2. But a lot more than that happened, like Snowden and the NSA leaks

Mayo4sam14 wrote: »
    If banquo did come up, what would you right about concerning him?

Contrast him with Macbeth. As Macbeth is the lead basically every question you get will have to be related to how it affects him,as the main character, and what Banquo adds to the play as a whole.

Set before Christmas, which is why so many people are banking on Heaney for Paper 2. But a lot more than that happened, like Snowden and the NSA leaks

Yeah I agree I was just using that as an example as he was such a major part of world history he is very likely to affect at least one paper in some way. Thank you!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40 mmahony18

Yeah I agree I was just using that as an example as he was such a major part of world history he is very likely to affect at least one paper in some way. Thank you!

I know for a fact the horse meat scandal was January 2013 and yet that appeared on the French paper last year so maybe some subjects are set at different times, maybe they do the major ones like Irish English and maths first, I doubt they go chopping and changing them once they're set even if some big event happened :)

mmahony18 wrote: »
    I know for a fact the horse meat scandal was January 2013 and yet that appeared on the French paper last year so maybe some subjects are set at different times, maybe they do the major ones like Irish English and maths first, I doubt they go chopping and changing them once they're set even if some big event happened :)

Good thinking! I never thought of checking the date of the horse meat scandal Thank you! Yeah i dont think the go out of their way to make them relevant but a number of teachers have told me they try to keep the papers topical.

MikeSD wrote: »
    Thanks :) that was very helpful. I was confused when I thought I heard that deception and Banquo was one question :L

Banquo and Deception could appear as one question as he knew of the witches prophecies and was highly suspicious that Macbeth murder Duncan but did absolutely nothing about it.
    Therefore, it could be argued that Banquo was deceitful towards Malcolm, Donalbain, Macduff,etc.
    However, I highly doubt this would be a question as there isn't really enough to write, but just incase.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

I really doubt anyone's been leaking anything, it's all educated guesswork, it's the same every year.
    And some of it not so educated.

Be very very suspicious of someone telling you they "know" what's on the paper; they don't.
    Does anyone know roughly when the papers are set?
    See page 11.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 LeavingCertee

BBC's annual Year in Review is a good way to get up to date on what happened last year

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11 Say2461

Ordinary level english.. Kinda freakin out? Whats coming up.. Hell whats on the paper???

• Registered Users Posts: 5,513 ✭✭✭bb1234567

Say2461 wrote: »
    Ordinary level english.. Kinda freakin out? Whats coming up.. Hell whats on the paper???

Very prepared I see ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Say2461

Haha.. Well i hope because i can speak it ill pass?

Haha.. Well i hope because i can speak it ill pass?

Ahh yeah haha as long as you write plenty and dont leave the exam early Id say its hard enough to fail pass english :) Well paper one atleast!

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭fishnetsxD

Good thinking! I never thought of checking the date of the horse meat scandal Thank you! Yeah i dont think the go out of their way to make them relevant but a number of teachers have told me they try to keep the papers topical.

I think they set them before Christmas but then review them again and alter bits :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭Anonymagician

Banquo and Deception could appear as one question as he knew of the witches prophecies and was highly suspicious that Macbeth murder Duncan but did absolutely nothing about it.
    Therefore, it could be argued that Banquo was deceitful towards Malcolm, Donalbain, Macduff,etc.
    However, I highly doubt this would be a question as there isn't really enough to write, but just incase.

Banquo and deception was the question on the original 2009 paper though, so they were going to give it

• Registered Users Posts: 8 HassanNat95

plath and mahon as repeat poets?

plath and mahon as repeat poets?

Maybe one will come up, I very much doubt theyll put both of them on.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 EC14

For english paper 2 is the role of banquo in the play different to a normal charachter question on him ?

And any objections to these accounting predictions:
    2)control
    3)revaluation
    4)cash flow
    5)ratois
    6)suspense
    7)service
    8)marg and absorption
    9)production

• Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭LoveLamps

EC14 wrote: »
    For english paper 2 is the role of banquo in the play different to a normal charachter question on him ?

And any objections to these accounting predictions:
    2)control
    3)revaluation
    4)cash flow
    5)ratois
    6)suspense
    7)service
    8)marg and absorption
    9)production

accounting seems spot on! and personally would llooooooove it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33 giraffegoat

Heaney, Dickenson and Plath...one of them has to come up surely?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭EoghanIRL

Heaney, Dickenson and Plath...one of them has to come up surely?

Nope unfortunately not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭Lollipop95

Re home ec and papers being topical it would make sense for them to put childcare on the elective because of the whole crèche scandal and the prime time documentary..,can't remember when it was aired though

• Registered Users Posts: 3 EC14

LoveLamps wrote: »
    accounting seems spot on! and personally would llooooooove it!

Is there any chance that mix of cash and production could come up again this year it wouldnt wan to...

• Registered Users Posts: 26 CiaraRedmond

I'd reckon there will be a comprehension followed by a question b and finished off with an essay! Paper one is all guesswork really, you can't really study for it. At least that's what I tell myself :)

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭Shane15

Does anyone have any tips on how to answer part A(iii) of the comprehensions in higher level English? I always have trouble with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Joey!!

Does anyone have a genera v&v or cultural context essay that they could send me? I have a theme or issue essay learned off but the essays I have on the other two are really not up to scratch. If anyone would be able to help I would greatly appreciate it

• Registered Users Posts: 25 AKMCD2014

Shane15 wrote: »
    Does anyone have any tips on how to answer part A(iii) of the comprehensions in higher level English? I always have trouble with them.

It's almost like a small taste of a paper 2 question. It usually deals with the language/imagery/content/style etc of the piece. If you can, talk about what type of writing it is (e.g. informative/argumentative) and the features that convey this. Discuss certain traits of the writing style too, such as the audience it's aimed at, informal/formal language or it's effectiveness. That's how I usually answer them.

All depends on the question on the day though :)

• Registered Users Posts: 25 AKMCD2014

Is it acceptable to use quotes from Macbeth that aren't necessarily from the same scene or even about the characters in question; but suit the point you are trying to make?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭Days 298

Be fine. Its an easy exam. Ive doen a whooping total of 30 minutes since xmas. Plan on reading summaries tomorrow of Sive and How many miles to babylon. Ill have the edge and stamina over everyone for paper 1 of maths :pac:

Im out the door of english asap. We were put in a different room to the HL in the pres not to demoralize them as we were all done so quick. Dont stress it, bullsh*t is rewarded

Advertisement