Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Predictions

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Say2461

19th century artists? art history anyone? please..

• Registered Users Posts: 11 teenieox

guys of I'll learn ; mean chumarsaide , an ghaeilge , daoine oga , sport , and little bit on recession . Would I be okay ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Say2461 wrote: »
    19th century artists? art history anyone? please..
    See the Art History thread on here ..

• Registered Users Posts: 3 LizMcA

What pros and poetry are people learning for HL Irish?

• Registered Users Posts: 19 millypop

LizMcA wrote: »
    What pros and poetry are people learning for HL Irish?

thinking spailpín dís or cáca and tearrach thiar?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19 walsh85

Movements for political and social reform predictions anyone ?

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Lucyloo2014

Any German predictions? Anything at all :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭EoghanIRL

Any German predictions? Anything at all :)

What is to predict? . Ich brauche sehnsucht :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Lucyloo2014

EoghanIRL wrote: »
    What is to predict? . Ich brauche sehnsucht :)

Have you any tips how to study german then? :P

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭ejayy

Have you any tips how to study german then? :P

Look at the german thread I punt up some suggestions to just do grammar mostly :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭ave123

anyone have any french predictions??....i'd say something like cyberbullying, sport, or alcohol could come up, but you nver know with french...could be anything...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 389 ✭✭unknowngirl!!

ave123 wrote: »
    anyone have any french predictions??....i'd say something like cyberbullying, sport, or alcohol could come up, but you nver know with french...could be anything...

Would be surprised if cyberbullying came up, what brings that to your mind?

I doubt sport will come up as a straight forward question. It is likely but with a twist...

Alcohol in terms of binge drinking is likely in my opinion :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 616 ✭✭✭linguist

I'm sceptical about people's expectations regarding binge drinking. As I've said on another thread, the journal intime last year was essentially a drinking question because the vast majority of candidates turned it into one. Going back quite a while, there was a reading comprehension on raves disturbing the peace in a village called Saint-Vence which is very close. When you think of the topics that haven't yet come up as a comprehension or even had much of an airing on the optional questions, I think alcohol and related issues have had reasonable exposure.

I do acknowledge that some topics come up quite frequently, but the ones that are actually very overdue would seem to be to be family/equality/relationships (I think the gay marriage debate is very hard to ignore), the environment and actually sport. In fact, there has never been a reading comprehension specifically on the topic of sport.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Leahw1997

Seriously failed my mocks and desperately want to know what ye think is going to come up on the written section so i can pass???

Well none of us knows but my best suggestions are above and on the practice your French thread also running here.

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭ave123

Would be surprised if cyberbullying came up, what brings that to your mind?

I doubt sport will come up as a straight forward question. It is likely but with a twist...

Alcohol in terms of binge drinking is likely in my opinion :)

just thought because all of those suicides because of ask.fm on facebook...that was around the time when they'd be planning the paper....how come you think binge drinking is gonna come up?...also what are you learning for sport with a twist?...im thinking of learning the usual...its good for your health ect..

Ok, clearly none of us knows if la cyberintimidation will put in an appearance or not, however let's look at the implications.

The SEC is very aware of the dangers posed by controversial questions. In 2005, after the terrible Navan bus crash, two papers had to be changed locally in Co. Meath because questions dealt with buses. Now just imagine they selected a reading comprehension which dealt in whole or part with an issue which can lead to suicide. Then, a month before the exam, something terrible happens in an Irish school. Clearly, they would have a big problem there and the integrity of the exam is hugely based on everyone sitting the same paper. Navan was a big learning experience for the SEC.

Now, neither can we ignore that this is a big social issue at the moment. Any question would have to deal with the general issue of online safety and thus, to minimise the risks I've outlined, I would see it restricted to an option on Q3 or Q4.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 389 ✭✭unknowngirl!!

ave123 wrote: »
    just thought because all of those suicides because of ask.fm on facebook...that was around the time when they'd be planning the paper....how come you think binge drinking is gonna come up?...also what are you learning for sport with a twist?...im thinking of learning the usual...its good for your health ect..

I'm a French teacher so teaching not learning!

I'm not putting up my specific predictions for various reasons but will DM you a few...
    linguist wrote: »
    Now, neither can we ignore that this is a big social issue at the moment. Any question would have to deal with the general issue of online safety and thus, to minimise the risks I've outlined, I would see it restricted to an option on Q3 or Q4.

In addition to this I don't think it would be as specific as 'cyber bullying.' The dangers/problems of social media would be more realistic. Either way it's not something I'd bank on!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭robman60

Just two things for the listening:

These two words seem to appear continuously for gifts or things that were lost
    -une montre (en or) (en argent) - a (gold) (silver)watch
    -une portefeuille - a wallet

robman: Yes, and also argent because it's both silver and money. Just as regards portefeuille, in case you're aiming to slip it into your written work, it's masculine!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭robman60

robman: Yes, and also argent because it's both silver and money. Just as regards portefeuille, in case you're aiming to slip it into your written work, it's masculine!

I just edited my post after posting it to include silver, as I believe that's what featured in our mock! Thanks for the correction on portefeuille, I have a terrible habit of guessing whether a noun is m or f based on how it ends. :o

Nouns which include a word denoting their use: porte meaning carry and para meaning for are masculine. Thus, mon parapluie: my umbrella.

Sorry, please disregard my last post here which has now been posted in the French discussion.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 reneecassidy

I am going to study obesity, the economic crisis, alcohol + drugs for the opinion question. Can anyone suggest any other topics?

Renee, may I suggest you read back and also check out the other discussions as it's a little time consuming to keep answering questions that have already been asked and answered previously. And I'm putting a smile on this so you know you're welcome and it's just a polite request!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭2thousand14

Renee, may I suggest you read back and also check out the other discussions as it's a little time consuming to keep answering questions that have already been asked and answered previously. And I'm putting a smile on this so you know you're welcome and it's just a polite request!:)

Isn't it also time consuming to be looking through 40 odd pages?

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Rachel_96

What was that biology paper!? Was hoping for an A. Not happening now!

There was no photosynthesis, digestion, kidneys, human reproduction... What the hell!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Isn't it also time consuming to be looking through 40 odd pages?
    Um, it's your LC, not linguist's!

It's nice enough of her to stop by and try to help without expecting her to be a slave!

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭yoajing

For French, these are the following topics I have learned well/revising at the moment.

1. Environment/Recycling
    2. Natural Disasters
    3. Sports
    4. Food waste/Obesity
    5. Water [eg. Water charges in Ireland, water resources in future etc]
    6. Economic Crisis
    7. Alcohol/Drugs/Tobacco
    8. Animal Cruelty
    9. Cyber bullying/Online Safety
    10. Dangers/Problems/Dependancy of social media.
    12. Family/Relationships/Friends
    13. Equality
    14. Rights/Voting
    15. Leaders/’People I most admire’

For those who feel they have not done enough work for French, ensure your grammar is top notch. Don’t bother spending wasted hours learning phrases you most likely won’t remember on the day of the exam. Remember that if your grammar isn’t up to scratch, you will immediately lose marks on both your communication and language. Thus, try to incorporate complex sentences and impressive grammar points e.g. use of negatives “ni… ni… ni” or subjunctives “il faut…” Only leave last the phrases. Even then, learn phrases that you can include in many possible topics. For instance:

“Il est temps que nous nous rendions compte que…”
    It’s time we realize that …

“Il me semble que ce probleme soit grave.”
    It seems to me that this problem is serious.

Notice how I can put this is almost any topic given as well as including a subjunctive verb in the sentence. Well, that’s enough of me for the day. Good luck with the exam, you guys! I know I’ll need it… =____=

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭TheBoss11

Anyone any business predictions?

Advertisement