Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Predictions

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭Days 298

Two experiements tipped, Iron Tablets and Soap
    Full water question.

Cant think of the other predictions.
    Too lazy to go check my papers now. Oxygen Production in Section B with a rates question I think not 100% though

• Registered Users Posts: 40 tubs12

Any more predictions for Irish?i know I shouldn't but I am focusing on what has not come up in the last two papers

• Registered Users Posts: 2 CurrowGal

Can someone please give me some predictions on geography or what is the most important things to learn?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 219 ✭✭nailforhammer

tubs12 wrote: »
    Any more predictions for Irish?i know I shouldn't but I am focusing on what has not come up in the last two papers

I am as well almost to the extent of completely ignoring 'An tEarrach Thiar,' Mo Ghrása, Oisín i dTír na nÓg and Hurlamaboc. I feel nervous about taking this risk but it's either be able to answer any of them poorly or answer three of them well (Actually 2 for the pros as I'm really bad at Dís).

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭JDOC1996

I am as well almost to the extent of completely ignoring 'An tEarrach Thiar,' Mo Ghrása, Oisín i dTír na nÓg and Hurlamaboc. I feel nervous about taking this risk but it's either be able to answer any of them poorly or answer three of them well (Actually 2 for the pros as I'm really bad at Dís).

I wouldn't ignore hurlamaboc tbh

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭Colour Insanity

JDOC1996 wrote: »
    I wouldn't ignore hurlamaboc tbh
    it came up in 2012, surely they wouldn't be that cruel?

• Registered Users Posts: 40 mmahony18

All this talk of an tearrach thiar and stuff making an appearance again is making me nervous, I agree surely they wouldn't be that cruel to us the new course only started in 2012 right? Best bet is to focus on what came up on both pres id say which is lasair/cáca milis, colscaradh, dís and spailpín but don't rule out gnathrud and geibheann either, hopefully the past pros and poems won't be on 2014 paper that would be crueler than Plath not showing in 2012 for English

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Endless Euphoria

My teacher said that she's 99% sure Éiceolaí and A Chlann won't come up. Same with Oisin I dTír na nÓg and Hurlamboc, so I wouldn't waste my time studying them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44 dubliner 2

From a teacher with more than twenty years' experience here's a tip.

Ignore EVERY SINGLE THING you read on this thread and cover the course(s).

None of your teachers have a clue and anyone trying to predict anything (if they are a teacher) should be fired immediately for gross dereliction of duty.

Here endeth the lesson.

• Registered Users Posts: 704 ✭✭✭Lara_15

dubliner 2 wrote: »
    From a teacher with more than twenty years' experience here's a tip.

Ignore EVERY SINGLE THING you read on this thread and cover the course(s).

None of your teachers have a clue and anyone trying to predict anything (if they are a teacher) should be fired immediately for gross dereliction of duty.

Here endeth the lesson.

I can see where youre coming from, buuut Its a bit too late for that now... at this stage we need to prioritise and its better to make educated choices on what to cover well rather than cramming all the course and not properly learning it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

Lara_15 wrote: »
    I can see where youre coming from, buuut Its a bit too late for that now... at this stage we need to prioritise and its better to make educated choices on what to cover well rather than cramming all the course and not properly learning it

Why would you have to cram anything there's still three weeks left. Cramming is sitting at a desk till 5am with a 12-pack of Red Bull and a packet of Berocca boost. You still have three weeks left. You can easily do up a study plan and get everything covered in the last few weeks.

Every Leaving Cert syllabus is too long tbh and a lot of them sprawl into too many areas with no focus whatsoever. It is worth an extra few hours getting things covered though. A lot of people who rely on predictions get lucky but a lot of people are left horribly short and don't get a grade that reflects their ability.
    its better to make educated choices

There is no such thing as an educated choice at this stage. Anything you hear is a guess or an assumption neither of which are reliable. For example, for all we know Bishop, Mahon, Plath and Kinsella are the four poets on the English paper. People assume they won't come up but it's not guarenteed.

Yes at the start of the year I would have totally agreed with you and I do know predictions are very risky but 3 weeks to cover 2 years of work is not realistic at all, and thinking logically about probabilities puts you in a better position than throwing a dart at a board and studying whatever topic you land on.
    Fortunately i have been working steadily since 5th year, but these 3 weeks are about prioritising, I am not at all saying that you should only study what is predicted, but knowing the things that are likely to come up well is better than half knowing everything.

This thread was not created for people to give out about predictions, it was made for the people who want to share them... nobody asked you to follow them, so if you don't like it then leave

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭robman60

I agree with Lara_15. Predictions allow you to focus on things you GUESS will come up. It wouldn't make sense to spend your last few weeks focusing on things you don't think will come up. I, and presumably others in this thread, have covered everything, but are now prioritising for the last bit of time we have.

Yes at the start of the year I would have totally agreed with you and I do know predictions are very risky but 3 weeks to cover 2 years of work is not realistic at all, and thinking logically about probabilities puts you in a better position than throwing a dart at a board and studying whatever topic you land on.
    Fortunately i have been working steadily since 5th year, but these 3 weeks are about prioritising, I am not at all saying that you should only study what is predicted, but knowing the things that are likely to come up well is better than half knowing everything.

If you've been working since 5th year you'll be grand as you probably know more than you think. There are people who do rely solely on predictions though and that is playing with fire.
    This thread was not created for people to give out about predictions, it was made for the people who want to share them... nobody asked you to follow them, so if you don't like it then leave

:eek: I have posted predictions here and observed other people's predictions it's all part of the 'fun' of Leaving Cert. My main point is about thinking that three weeks out you have to rely on predictions when you have time to cover everything.

Slightly off topic but my English teacher said something today and I think everyone will agree with her. The Junior Cert is like a two-year course spread out over three and the Leaving Cert is like a three-year course crammed into two. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭robman60

thelad95 wrote: »
    it's all part of the 'fun' of Leaving Cert.
    You have a twisted interpretation of fun! :P
    Slightly off topic but my English teacher said something today and I think everyone will agree with her. The Junior Cert is like a two-year course spread out over three and the Leaving Cert is like a three-year course crammed into two. :(
    I don't really agree that the LC cycle should be three years. The way the system operates ie. your whole result is dependent on terminal exams makes it inevitable that the heavy workload will come towards the end. Whether we had three years or five years, the last weeks, days and minutes would still be the relentless push that they are in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Endless Euphoria

but 3 weeks to cover 2 years of work is not realistic at all

It is for certain subjects like History and Biology. Although you would want to be putting in at least ten hours a day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44 dubliner 2

Educated choices?

There's your problem right there.

They are not educated choices. They are GUESSWORK, pure and simple.

And there'll be the usual nonsense on Drivetime and in the irish Times when certain stuff that was "predicted" doesn't come up.

Yet no one ever asks who is doing this predicting and how could they confidently predict anything being that if they had any inside knowledge they are committing a crime by revealing it.

As for "leaving" as the thread was not created for criticism?

As I said, I'm a teacher with more than twenty years experience and I stand by my initial assertion that education professionals who "predict" anything should be fired immediately.

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭a0ifee

I know a lot of people are saying it'll be the treaty for the document in history, but for Belfast & the Eucharistic congress what kind of contextualisation question could come up? my teacher focused nearly completely on the treaty and there's only one sample question for both in my papers...

• Registered Users Posts: 5 BiancaW

Have a feeling Seamus Heaney will come up on a comprehension, just because they're cruel.. Even if he did come up in the poetry section I wouldn't pick him, too afraid of being marked extra hard seeing as the entire country are going to do Heaney if he's on the paper! :(

anyone know what could come up in the aistes for Irish?

Mean Cumarsaide hasnt been up on the new syllabus yet, and 201 was bliain na gaeilge so maybe one on the irish language

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭Days 298

If you listen to predictions long enough nearly everything will be predicted (Business, French and Economics come to mind) but others like Physics and Chemistry were it is possible not to predict but to narrow down what could come up and with the choice on the papers its not the end of the world if the predictions wasnt 100%.

If they ignore everything that people are predicting (due to those topics not coming up in recent years)they just make next years paper easier to predict. After a few years people will stop learning the stuff that hasnt came up in yonks making it harder for them to ask without needing to have a really easy marking schemes to bump the marks up or watch as many miss their college course due to a wicked paper in a subject unrelated to their studies that they could have not chosen not to do and which will drive future people away from that subject. No chief examiner wants their subject to be the hard, low points subject.

BiancaW wrote: »
    Have a feeling Seamus Heaney will come up on a comprehension, just because they're cruel.. Even if he did come up in the poetry section I wouldn't pick him, too afraid of being marked extra hard seeing as the entire country are going to do Heaney if he's on the paper! :(

anyone know what could come up in the aistes for Irish?

I'm pretty convinced he'll be the unseen poem for some reason, he'll definitely be on the paper in some shape or form!

• Registered Users Posts: 19 doggybag12

Days 298 wrote: »
    If you listen to predictions long enough nearly everything will be predicted (Business, French and Economics come to mind) but others like Physics and Chemistry were it is possible not to predict but to narrow down what could come up and with the choice on the papers its not the end of the world if the predictions wasnt 100%.

If they ignore everything that people are predicting (due to those topics not coming up in recent years)they just make next years paper easier to predict. After a few years people will stop learning the stuff that hasnt came up in yonks making it harder for them to ask without needing to have a really easy marking schemes to bump the marks up or watch as many miss their college course due to a wicked paper in a subject unrelated to their studies that they could have not chosen not to do and which will drive future people away from that subject. No chief examiner wants their subject to be the hard, low points subject.

was predicted for french and business?

• Registered Users Posts: 5 BiancaW

a0ifee wrote: »
    I'm pretty convinced he'll be the unseen poem for some reason, he'll definitely be on the paper in some shape or form!

I agree I think the examiners will have him as something major in it seeing as he isn't going to come up again for another few years!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,723 ✭✭✭MightyMandarin

a0ifee wrote: »
    I know a lot of people are saying it'll be the treaty for the document in history, but for Belfast & the Eucharistic congress what kind of contextualisation question could come up? my teacher focused nearly completely on the treaty and there's only one sample question for both in my papers...

For Congress, I would say the impact of it would be most likely. I think it's the least likely to come up, but is still very easy to learn. For Belfast, again the impact of it, but also a question on NI/ Belfast's involvement in WW2 could appear. The Treaty is the most likely and probably the easiest of them too.

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭2thousand14

Is it safe to say that GV&V will come up in english p2?

Is it safe to say that GV&V will come up in english p2?

Not safe but likely as both CC and Theme/Issue came up last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭2thousand14

Not safe but likely as both CC and Theme/Issue came up last year.

Was just looking at exam trends over the past couple of years and GV&V and LG comes up every second year and CC and Theme/Issue every other year

Was just looking at exam trends over the past couple of years and GV&V and LG comes up every second year and CC and Theme/Issue every other year

That's nice but there is a massive drive at the minute to make exam papers less predictable so while the trends suggest GVV will come up it is far from guaranteed.

• Advertisement

For Congress, I would say the impact of it would be most likely. I think it's the least likely to come up, but is still very easy to learn. For Belfast, again the impact of it, but also a question on NI/ Belfast's involvement in WW2 could appear. The Treaty is the most likely and probably the easiest of them too.

thanks! Tbh I wouldn't mind Belfast, but I find the congress hard to write about because there's so little to it

Advertisement