Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Predictions

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭Days 298

doggybag12 wrote: »
    was predicted for french and business?

Ive heard nearly everything for business. Focusing on units 1-5 seems to be the way to go.

French is unpredictable but some speculations.

-10 year ban on the smoking ban this year (when it was introduced it came up)
    -World Cup this year (sports and friendship)
    -Mandela's death (Racism, discrimination)
    -Where you see yourself in 10 years ( Left the bailout, improving economy)
    -Maybe somethinh on anglo irish relations (Michael D visited England around the time papers are set)

The list goes on. But in truth its unpredictable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 96 ✭✭b0gg3r

Wait, so LG could come up for UA this year? I thought it wasn't on the course this year?

• Registered Users Posts: 19 doggybag12

Days 298 wrote: »
    Ive heard nearly everything for business. Focusing on units 1-5 seems to be the way to go.

French is unpredictable but some speculations.

-10 year ban on the smoking ban this year (when it was introduced it came up)
    -World Cup this year (sports and friendship)
    -Mandela's death (Racism, discrimination)
    -Where you see yourself in 10 years ( Left the bailout, improving economy)
    -Maybe somethinh on anglo irish relations (Michael D visited England around the time papers are set)

The list goes on. But in truth its unpredictable.[/QUx could you tell me what you heard for business please?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,723 ✭✭✭MightyMandarin

a0ifee wrote: »
    thanks! Tbh I wouldn't mind Belfast, but I find the congress hard to write about because there's so little to it

Yeah there's probably the least amount of content on it. Most of the essay can be bullsh**ted however, so it's not all that bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Cailin123

Oisin i dtir na nog for irish higher level but with a twisted question on style

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭robman60

Cailin123 wrote: »

Hopefully not. It came up last year and it'd be damn cruel to give it again when we're only two years into the new course. Anyway, I'm not studying the filíocht/prós that came up the last two years. Not worth the effort for a mere 5% when I still need to work on the aiste and A Thig Ná Tit Orm.

• Registered Users Posts: 704 ✭✭✭Lara_15

I hope this is a joke

• Closed Accounts Posts: 505 ✭✭✭oncex

Where did you get this prediction from? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 40 mmahony18

I sincerely hope it won't be any that came up in the new course, if we do get any of the previous prós/poems I can only imagine the uproar...

I know this isn't technically a prediction but does anyone know if you have to learn about the poets for the Irish HL poems? It's in some of the sample papers but our teacher says she can't imagine them asking about them that's mainly pass poems.

To contribute to predictions our teacher also said the same as other French posts I've seen:
    -10 year smoking ban
    -world cup (racism and sport in general)
    -nelson Mandela related quote to do with equality maybe
    -obesity/health
    -alcohol/drugs the usual tied with them

I also think for some reason Heaney might appear as a comprehension on paper 1 as a wicked twist, but he didn't appear on the paper since 2003/2004 I believe and he isn't on the course again until after 2018! Bear in mind the majority of people will learn him though... I believe the 4 best contenders are Dickinson, Heaney, Larkin, yeats.

Chemistry:our teacher is convinced a water experiment will appear as well as iron tablet experiment and finally ethene/Ethyne, believe he mentioned soap too.

Business:know the break even chart well, the good thing about the abq being units 1,2,3 is Q1 and Q4 are generally tied in with those units which is quite handy!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 100 ✭✭LiverpoolLad95

Biology

Photosynthesis
    Genetics (Obviously)
    Respiration
    Enzymes
    IAA Experiment (Definitely)
    Human Breathing

Geography

Characteristics of a Biome (Definitely)

Human Interaction with River/Rocks (Definitely)
    Formation of a Landform of Erosion/Deposition (Definitely)
    Igneous Rock Formation

Irish Economic Activities
    Paris Basin Economic Activities
    Brazil Economic Activities

Overpopulation (Definitely)
    Donor/ Receiver Regions
    Irish Migration Patterns
    Historical Settlement Patterns

History

Stalin and Lenin contribution to Communism (Most Probable)
    Stalin Economic Policies
    Hitler Propaganda
    Nazi Foreign Policy

Moon Landing (Definitely)
    Vietnam
    Berlin Blockade with Cuba/Korea
    Bus Boycott

Parnell Strength and Weaknesses
    1885/86 Elections
    GAA (Between this and the Strike and Lockout, asked every year)
    Strike and Lockout

I'm focusing on these and looking over the rest. I think Brazil activities will appear because of the World Cup, so I'm paying particular attention to Tertiary and Culture while Stalin always appears as well as Home Rule. In American History its always Lyndon or Truman.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭cferry3

What's everyone learning for 'An Triail'
    Any predictions

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭Badwulf

Biology

Photosynthesis
    Genetics (Obviously)
    Respiration
    Enzymes
    IAA Experiment (Definitely)
    Human Breathing

Geography

Characteristics of a Biome (Definitely)

Human Interaction with River/Rocks (Definitely)
    Formation of a Landform of Erosion/Deposition (Definitely)
    Igneous Rock Formation

Irish Economic Activities
    Paris Basin Economic Activities
    Brazil Economic Activities

Overpopulation (Definitely)
    Donor/ Receiver Regions
    Irish Migration Patterns
    Historical Settlement Patterns

History

Stalin and Lenin contribution to Communism (Most Probable)
    Stalin Economic Policies
    Hitler Propaganda
    Nazi Foreign Policy

Moon Landing (Definitely)
    Vietnam
    Berlin Blockade with Cuba/Korea
    Bus Boycott

Parnell Strength and Weaknesses
    1885/86 Elections
    GAA (Between this and the Strike and Lockout, asked every year)
    Strike and Lockout

I'm focusing on these and looking over the rest. I think Brazil activities will appear because of the World Cup, so I'm paying particular attention to Tertiary and Culture while Stalin always appears as well as Home Rule. In American History its always Lyndon or Truman.

what makes you so sure on them definates pal?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 100 ✭✭LiverpoolLad95

Badwulf wrote: »
    what makes you so sure on them definates pal?

I predict that these 'definates' will definitely come up. After all, this is a prediction thread. Just because I gave my assumptions doesn't mean its a fact. If only.....

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,238 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

The papers were mostly set last summer, long before Nelson Mandela died.
    That's not to say they might not have edited the paper at a late stage, but I would regard that as a fairly outside chance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭robman60

spurious wrote: »
    The papers were mostly set last summer, long before Nelson Mandela died.
    That's not to say they might not have edited the paper at a late stage, but I would regard that as a fairly outside chance.

You say that, yet the horse meat scandal appeared on the French paper despite not happening until January 2013 or thereabouts.

I don't think the papers are made as early as people think.

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭2thousand14

robman60 wrote: »
    You say that, yet the horse meat scandal appeared on the French paper despite not happening until January 2013 or thereabouts.

Maybe they predicted the horse meat scandal! :eek:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,238 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

robman60 wrote: »

The information is in the public domain.
    You can read all about it here : http://www.examinations.ie/about/Setting%20Manual_rev3.pdf including the timetable drafting/setting on page 11 of that pdf.

Of course there is some leeway, but efforts are made to have it all done and dusted the previous summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,513 ✭✭✭bb1234567

I know the Institute of Education (the ultimate grinds school in Dublin) are predicting Yeats, Dickinson and Heaney to come up, and they haven't been wrong in like 10 years or something ridiculous like that. :/ I hate all three of them, it's gonna be a nightmare! :P Plath is my queen - I'm kinda hoping that she'll pop up.

Any idea about the Modes for the Comparative? I need GVV >.<

My Physics teacher has been telling us for a month that the Electricity experiment will probably be Joule's Law too.

Im in the insitiute my poetry teacher has told us to learn yeats, heaney, dickinson, larkin and kinsella. He said big emphasis on dickinson ,larkin and heaney.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 car2626

bb1234567 wrote: »
    Im in the insitiute my poetry teacher has told us to learn yeats, heaney, dickinson, larkin and kinsella. He said big emphasis on dickinson ,larkin and heaney.

What have they said for Macbeth?

car2626 wrote: »
    What have they said for Macbeth?

Cian Hogan thinks a Macbeth character/play imagery combination question is likely :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭Nicke011

Which poets came up on each of Mocks papers?
    I'm sure Heaney was on both of them. I think those that came on both papers are most likely to come up...

• Registered Users Posts: 10 car2626

Cian Hogan thinks a Macbeth character/play imagery combination question is likely :)

Imagery came up last year!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

Like with the imagery and character in one question or one character Q and one imagery Q.

Another potential topic for Macbeth is why it's still popular to a modern audience.

Nicke011 wrote: »
    Which poets came up on each of Mocks papers?
    I'm sure Heaney was on both of them. I think those that came on both papers are most likely to come up...

Mocks are really no indication at all as to what will come up so dont base your theory off mocks thats what my teachers say. and I cant quite remember but I did the heaney question for poetry in the mocks.

thelad95 wrote: »
    Like with the imagery and character in one question or one character Q and one imagery Q.

Another potential topic for Macbeth is why it's still popular to a modern audience.

No he said he thinks a macbeth/imagery combination question is likely, idk im just telling you what he said!

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭Shane15

I'm worried about English, I've done Yeats, Heaney and Bishop and know them well, (I love all three and found them easy to write about). My class did Kinsella in fifth year and I hated his poetry and kind of disregarded him, same with Plath. Now I'm worried that I don't have enough with just those three, but I feel if anything I'll at least have Heaney to fall back on?

Shane15 wrote: »
    I'm worried about English, I've done Yeats, Heaney and Bishop and know them well, (I love all three and found them easy to write about). My class did Kinsella in fifth year and I hated his poetry and kind of disregarded him, same with Plath. Now I'm worried that I don't have enough with just those three, but I feel if anything I'll at least have Heaney to fall back on?

Learn a fourth just to be safe! 3 is too risky

• Registered Users Posts: 2 blinkingblinky

just wondering does anybody have any? feel free to post your predictions on any subject here, but my subjects are english (H), irish (H), maths (O), french (H), geography (H), biology (H) and home ec (H)

english (H): i'm thinking a relationship question for macbeth, and for poetry yeats, larkin, dickinson, plath
    irish: dís, géibheann, essay topics i'm thinking heroes, irish language, the media
    home ec: dairy, meat, calcium, vitamin c

• Registered Users Posts: 40 tubs12

Any help with "an Triail" guys

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18 galpal123

Do you think I'd be covered for Section 2 if I had had interpretation (ratio), tabular, service, club, and farm ready? We haven't done Cash flow and I strongly dislike suspense!

Advertisement