If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AV Receiver upgrage question

Options
  • 20-04-2014 5:28pm
    Hosted Moderators Posts: 9,946 ✭✭✭

Hi guys,
    Looking for a bit of advice on an upgrade On my receiver.
    Currently have an Onkyo TX-SR605 which Is serving me well in fairness but the lack of HDMI inputs is an issue.

What's the recommended upgrade for the same quality but more features as its 7 years old now!

It's used on a 5.1 set of monitor audio bronze.

Cheers.

Comments

• Company Representative Posts: 17,282 ✭✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: Kenny

mik_da_man wrote: »
    Hi guys,
    Looking for a bit of advice on an upgrade On my receiver.
    Currently have an Onkyo TX-SR605 which Is serving me well in fairness but the lack of HDMI inputs is an issue.

What's the recommended upgrade for the same quality but more features as its 7 years old now!

It's used on a 5.1 set of monitor audio bronze.

Cheers.
    Hi Mik,

Thanks for getting in touch. 

An upgrade is always nice :)

The 605 is just before my time here,  I think Kenny our store manager just upgraded from his a while back there.  Seemed like a nice little amp.

If you'd like to upgrade now and keep yourself future proofed then I'd suggest having a look at these 2 amps:

Sony STRDN 1040  - £349.95
    http://www.richersounds.com/product/av-receivers/sony/strdn1040/sony-strdn1040

5 Star award winning AV receiver from Sony.  This has been a very popular amp with us.  It has near enough everything an amp these days should have.  Fantastic sound quality, an impressive list of features 4K upscalig, WiFi, Airplay and loads more!  

Yamaha RXV675 - £299.95
    http://www.richersounds.com/product/av-receivers/yamaha/rxv675/yama-rxv675-blk

This is another 5 star award winning amp.  Continuing on from the fantastic 673 from last year.  This has been another favorite with us here in the store.  Excellent home cinema amp, and just as good for stereo.   Again you're getting 4K upscaling and an impressive list of features.  It doesn't have WiFi or Bluetooth tho, that's the only downside to this amp in my opinion.

Let me know what you think.

Chris

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 9,946 ✭✭✭mik_da_man

Cheers for the reply.
    My current one was about £400 when I got it so that's the sort of budget I was thinking about.

Sony looks good. I'll check it out a bit.
    Any comparable onkyo around that price or does the Sony trump them?

• Company Representative Posts: 17,282 ✭✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: Kenny

mik_da_man wrote: »
    Cheers for the reply.
    My current one was about £400 when I got it so that's the sort of budget I was thinking about.

Sony looks good. I'll check it out a bit.
    Any comparable onkyo around that price or does the Sony trump them?
    Hi Mik_da_man.

The Sony and the Yamaha in my opinion are a better receiver than the Onkyo.

I purchased the RXV673 a year or so ago and it is a fantastic unit. I upgraded from an Onkyo 605 which was over 5 years old and is still working to this day.

The Onkyo is the same price bracket would be the Onkyo TXNR626 going for £279.00
    http://www.richersounds.com/product/av-receivers/onkyo/txnr626/onky-txnr626-blk

Hope this helps.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.