Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Next PS4 Price Cut?

Options
  • 20-04-2014 5:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭

Hi Guys,

Im highly considering buying a PS4 for my boyfriend, any guesses when there might be a ps4 price drop next? - I understand it's not a science and it can be hard to predict. - based on your past experience and knowledge when would you expect a price drop:rolleyes:

Thanks Guys.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

The PS4 is actually a very good deal at €399. I can't see it drop in price exactly but you may see bundles at the end of the year around christmas with a game or PS+ Subscription for 12 months included for the same price. Sony undercut Microsoft so they have no competition in €399 price bracket, this is why it may take time for the price to fall compared to the Xbox One. As it is PS4s are flying off shelves as soon as they come in while Xbox Ones are starting to pile up.

Keep an eye out at E3 in June for possible hints of future price plans by Sony.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭Snake

One of thems gonna get cut pretty soon.

Sorry couldn't help myself

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭lertsnim

At the rate it is selling currently I wouldn't be expecting a price cut for a long time.

lertsnim wrote: »
    At the rate it is selling currently I wouldn't be expecting a price cut for a long time.

Indeed. Price drops are for sales boots, and unless sales drop, no price drop

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,056 ✭✭✭_Redzer_

It won't get a cut for at least another year from now. There will be bundles at Christmas for €400 with a console and game I'm sure.

Consoles generally take about 2 years to drop in price by €100, unless it's struggling.

If Sony were going to cut the price it'll only be by €50 anyway, like they've been doing with the PS3 the last few years. There's no incentive for them to drop to €300 in the foreseeable future unless MS undercuts them, which is unlikely.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

At least a year i'd say.

It's good value at 400 euros imo.

Give it another few months and you'll have plenty of games to choose from.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 165 ✭✭Doublelime

It won't price drop for at least 3-4 years. €400 is a great deal.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

Doublelime wrote: »
    It won't price drop for at least 3-4 years.

You'll be very wrong about your estimate of at least 3-4 years :pac: how ridiculous :pac:

You'll be very wrong about your estimate of at least 3-4 years :pac: how ridiculous :pac:

We'll see

We'll see

You can be 100% certain that you will not be paying €399 for just a PS4 console with a 500gb HDD in 3 years time. Sony may replace the 500gb SKU for a 2tb SKU at the same price in 3 years though. There will most likely be a physical hardware revision by then too with a "slim" model.

• Advertisement

You can be 100% certain that you will not be paying €399 for just a PS4 console with a 500gb HDD in 3 years time. Sony may replace the 500gb SKU for a 2tb SKU at the same price in 3 years though. There will most likely be a physical hardware revision by then too with a "slim" model.

2TB? Let's calm it son. When memory is raised, price doesn't fall.

2TB? Let's calm it son. When memory is raised, price doesn't fall.

The price of storage is coming down all the time. PS3 launched with a 60gb HDD for €600. A slim model came out 3 years later with twice the HDD capacity and half the price. HDDs are getting cheaper and cheaper as SSDs become more popular and they themselves are getting cheaper every 6 months or so. Sony is not Apple when it come to storage and price.

The price of storage is coming down all the time. PS3 launched with a 60gb HDD for €600. A slim model came out 3 years later with twice the HDD capacity and half the price.

Fair point.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭AndersKP

To be fair it's a bit of a steal at the current price.

I bought the PS3 at launch for £549 (699e??)

I wouldn't expect the price to move by much if any for the foreseeable future!

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭AndersKP

Fair point.

There was a HDD shortage a few years ago and the price of laptops/consoles/PVRs shot up.

Although, shortages/missed shipments aside, the PS4 will conform to Moore's 18month law.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,976 ✭✭✭✭titan18

I'm going to guess July/August in 2015. Bundles at Christmas, and a price drop announced at E3 in 2015, probably only by about €50.

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭erkifino

Speculation is great. Here goes, they'll launch a 1TB in 8 months time and discontinue the 500 gig and the newer version will stay at the current price.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

PS3 only dropped price so quickly cos the original price was so silly. PS4 is a perfectly good price for me :)

• Registered Users Posts: 973 ✭✭✭Super Sidious

cloud493 wrote: »
    PS3 only dropped price so quickly cos the original price was so silly. PS4 is a perfectly good price for me :)

Sony actually sold the PS3 at a loss when it first launched, the same issue isn't affecting them as the current hardware is cost efficient.

Either way PS4 outsold Xboxone last month even with the launch of Titanfall, until sales drop, there will be little or no price drop incentive.

I know some people who bought the PS4 say they havent used it in a few months, it's not the case for me so I still see it as a great bit of value... Trials is so addictive, its affecting my sleep.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 165 ✭✭Doublelime

All I'm saying is that I don't see the price being €350 is 18 months. €400 is an absolute steal for what your getting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,575 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

I have a 1tb hybrid ssd hardrive in mine already, have 700g free with all my stuff installed, she tears along now compared to the stock HD....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,056 ✭✭✭_Redzer_

Doublelime wrote: »
    All I'm saying is that I don't see the price being €350 is 18 months. €400 is an absolute steal for what your getting.

By christmas 2015 it will be €350, probably with a bundle too. It'll be 2 years old by then and I'm guessing the X1 will be €400, so they'll have to push the price lower.

_Redzer_ wrote: »
    By christmas 2015 it will be €350, probably with a bundle too. It'll be 2 years old by then and I'm guessing the X1 will be €400, so they'll have to push the price lower.

Xbox one IS 400. The price was dropped a few weeks back. Not long after I bought mine

Xbox one IS 400. The price was dropped a few weeks back. Not long after I bought mine

X1 RRP is still €500 but now comes with TitanFall free. The X1 got an official price cut in the UK however as it cost more there when you converted the € to the £ even taking VAT into account. Just look at gamestop, smyths, argos or harvey's sites for the price. It was never €400 except for the 10 consoles HMV sold at that price.

Where can I buy one for €400?

GameStop had t advertised and I had the piss taken out of me by my friend who spends all day reading game news that they'd dropped it.

Never mind. It was only temporary

Carry on.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭2Mad2BeMad

amazon, its 349.99pound so thats around the 400-420e mark

I was asking more so about where can it be bought for €400 RRP in a shop. It has since been cleared up. On Amazon it is about €430 currently.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

So Xbox One bundles down to $350.

Anyone think we'll get the same from the PS4?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

Doubt it. Looks the xbone price drop is only in the US, and the PS4 is selling well enough without it.

Advertisement