Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

chain keeps falling off chainsaw?

• 20-04-2014 6:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 877 ✭✭✭

I have an oleo mac that's about 10 years old. the chain lately keeps falling off it. I would be cutting lengths of timber and the chain could fall off and I end up taking it back to the dealer.

what could be up with it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭chuckyarelaw

Sounds like a loose rupture nut- or nuts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭rje66

mengele wrote: »
    I have an oleo mac that's about 10 years old. the chain lately keeps falling off it. I would be cutting lengths of timber and the chain could fall off and I end up taking it back to the dealer.

Wear on the bar guides. Worn sproket. Too loose on bar.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭rje66

mengele wrote: »

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 225 ✭✭My Potatoes

rje66 wrote: »

+1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,115 ✭✭✭monkeynuz

You have been taking it back to the dealer and he hasn't sorted it? Find another dealer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Check the chain tightness. When it is tight you should be able to pull it out of the bar to the height of the drive links.
    Can you rock the chain side to side?
    If it moves more than a few mm each way the bar groove is likely worn.
    What do the drive links look like? are they all straight and not bent or nicked?
    What does the bar nose look like? Running freely or not?
    Does it need greasing? There is usually a hole for grease in the bar nose.
    Post some pics if you can.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Mike83

Hope you have it sorted by now but might be worth having a look at the chain tensioner, had to replace one on a husky a while back.

Advertisement