Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

.22 Substitution

Options
  • 20-04-2014 6:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭

Looking at changing a gun and have a few questions lads.
    Is it a straight sub from .22 air rifle to .22LR?
    My parent got the licence for the gun first so then should they apply for the sub first or does it matter?
    What would a cz 452 .22lr cost without a scope?
    How much should i get for a HW97K .22 there 550 without a scope so what should i hope to get wothout a scope?

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

1shot16 wrote: »
    Is it a straight sub from .22 air rifle to .22LR?
    Yes.

Long answer, depends on the Super, but that is about as close as you get to straight sub so should be no problem.
    My parent got the licence for the gun first so then should they apply for the sub first or does it matter?
    Doesn't matter.

Once you have your own license your Father/Mother can keep the other gun or if you are trading it then it doesn't matter who applies first and who is second. As long as both of you sub. However it can only be done one at a time. As the second person will need the certificate number of the other person's license when filling in section 4.1 (Joint use).
    What would a cz 452 .22lr cost without a scope?
    Brand new the 452 should bee no more than €425. Second hand between €200 - €350 depending on age and use. With scope, and second hand, you can pick one up for between €300 - €550. Look here, or here.
    How much should i get for a HW97K .22 there 550 without a scope so what should i hope to get wothout a scope?
    Depends.

Trade price will be less than a cash deal or you can do up an advert and stick it up in the For Sale section with what you are looking for it.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭1shot16

Thanks cass.
    So trading in my rifle and getting a 452 should have me not paying much more if any cash ontop of my gun!
    Semis are less accurate than bolt actions but are they considerably less?
    What range can i expect to shoot rabbits out to?100 yards?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭One shot on kill

Ye you will shoot rabbits at 100 maybe more pending on you and the ammo being used not much more doe.trading your gun in might be your set bet it will be quicker and it will not cost as much because most cz's would be around the same money. Unless you buy a new one that is. But if you have 400 to spend you will get a cracking rifle for that money.

Ye you will shoot rabbits at 100 maybe more pending on you and the ammo being used not much more doe.trading your gun in might be your set bet it will be quicker and it will not cost as much because most cz's would be around the same money. Unless you buy a new one that is. But if you have 400 to spend you will get a cracking rifle for that money.

Yeah hw97k are 550 new and hopefully ill get 320-350 its only 4 years old.Dont mind paying an extra 50-100 euro for a nice 452 plus ill have an 100 yard range instead of a ****ty 25 yards!

All i have to do is get around the parents they say im losing money on the rifle which is like 80 quid.Main reason id say is they dont want me with a cartridge rifle which is dump as i have had a air rifle the past year which is just as damngerous :mad:

Well look you gotta respect there wishs to but make sure you show them oh capable and safe you are with fire arms. Let them gradually gain confidence in you.

• Advertisement

Well look you gotta respect there wishs to but make sure you show them oh capable and safe you are with fire arms. Let them gradually gain confidence in you.

Just had a fairly long talk with the mother she sed they dont have money even though i do and im paying for the sub and its only going to be around 50 euro.
    Its not about safety or trusting me coz they fully trust me.
    I dont know they sed i could have a shotgun instead of the air rifle because it would of been alot cheaper back a year ago and now they wont let me sub my .22
    Might just get someone to take me so i can sub it they wont mind once i have it... there logic really frustrates me :mad:

What do you mean get someone to take you bud.

What do you mean get someone to take you bud.

Just get someone to bring me to the gun shop so i can sub it lad

Oh right ye sorry I get you. Griffan Hawe normally have a very good selection of 22's and they will deal with you aswell.

Oh right ye sorry I get you. Griffan Hawe normally have a very good selection of 22's and they will deal with you aswell.

ye got my .22 air rifle there great selections of guns....was also thinking of stakelums thurles.
    Ive to go Griffen Hawe to get worms for fishing so i might convience them by then hopefully!

Do i have to pay fully for the subbed gun or get cash for my rifle and leave a deposit or how does that work?

• Advertisement

Well when I dealt with them on my sub. I have them my gun and he gave me paper work for the sub. I suppose as soon as you apply for your sub you give them the gun so there sure it stays in the same condition and also they can try sell it on straight away. Obviously they can't part with the gun till your deal is finished with them but they can show it etc etc. once you get your sub back all ok then pop into them fix up the balance. And on ye go.

Ye and a sub isnt that hard of a job all just fill in the form nd hand it in,
    If i dont have a suppressor on my rifle now can i add it in for the sub?
    A .22lr would suit me better than a .22 air rifle
    Was hunting rabbits today and didnt get 1 .Having to creep withing 35 yards is a pain.
    Would of got 3 or 4 if i had a .22lr

• Registered Users Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭tac foley

i have had a air rifle the past year which is just as damngerous :mad:

Not so. At a hundred yards/meters, your air rifle might just give you a nasty sting. A .22 calibre bullet is certainly lethal at 100 yards/metres - indeed, if you take the trouble to watch an experimental shoooter on Youtube, you'll see that it can inflict a lethal injury at 300 yards/metres.

No air rifle has a danger zone of 1 mile - any .22LR round is capable of inflicting injury at that distance. Why else would the manufacturers put a warning on the box to that effect?

You need to do a bit of research before making such a bald and incorrect statement on a shooting forum.

tac

• Registered Users Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭cookimonster

1shot16, just one question that may need to be addressed.

In the eyes of the law, regardless who paid for it, who is the owner of the gun?
    I traded my wifes rifle for a new one for myself but she had to go through the cancellation process. I would assume all persons involved in the licenseing of that firearm will need to be in on the process.
    As you are under 18 I would be careful how you go about persuading your parents as AFAIK you require thier consent to store it at home.

As always best of luck with your endeavors.

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭rsole1

tac foley wrote: »
    Not so. At a hundred yards/meters, your air rifle might just give you a nasty sting. A .22 calibre bullet is certainly lethal at 100 yards/metres - indeed, if you take the trouble to watch an experimental shoooter on Youtube, you'll see that it can inflict a lethal injury at 300 yards/metres.

No air rifle has a danger zone of 1 mile - any .22LR round is capable of inflicting injury at that distance. Why else would the manufacturers put a warning on the box to that effect?

You need to do a bit of research before making such a bald and incorrect statement on a shooting forum.

tac

Good advice - was hoping someone would pick up on this.

Tac foley I think your statement is a bit harsh myself. I'm sure he understands the differance between the ranges both rifles have. As he has said it a couple if times.

But the danger is only in the way the gun is handled so any caliber can be as dangerous or as safe as any other. Pending on his firearms handling and his understanding as safety. I personally think the op is going the correct way about things as he started at the very bottom and intends on working his way up.

From reading all his posts it seems to me he has a grasp not just taking certain phrases out of context.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭tac foley

Sir, in that case I apologise to the young man if you think I'm being harsh on him. I'm a bit of literal reader, I have to admit, and his actual words may have been misleading to somebody, like me, used to dealing with and reading facts on a technical forum like this one.

tac

1shot16, just one question that may need to be addressed.

In the eyes of the law, regardless who paid for it, who is the owner of the gun?
    I traded my wifes rifle for a new one for myself but she had to go through the cancellation process. I would assume all persons involved in the licenseing of that firearm will need to be in on the process.
    As you are under 18 I would be careful how you go about persuading your parents as AFAIK you require thier consent to store it at home.

As always best of luck with your endeavors.

I have already got their consent to store it at home sure the safes in my room :pac:

Well my parent applied first then me as i was told i needed a gaurdian to be licenced on it first,Maybe i can get her to sub first then me.

I dont think she understands a sub is easier than a new application as u cannot really get refused unless its not like for like.

The super sed my air rifle was a .22 rifle regardless of it being an air rifle so i should be aloud swap for a .22 rifle especially when i had to get a guardian to get a licence before me!

As to mr foley i was told never to treat an air rifle as anything less than a rifle and i was told this on here.

I think there was some confusion on another of your threads so let's get a few things clear.
    • Once you are over 16 you are an adult in the eyes of the law (firearm law) and need no "Guardian" to get a gun license. There is no such position anyway.
    • Is the gun yours? If so then your Mother has no say. Nor does your Father, Brother, Sister, Uncle, Aunt, Cat, Dog, etc, etc.
    • If your Mother has a license then good for her. It has no bearing on your license. Once you decide to sub your gun you may do so. If she decides to sub her license then grand. If not then she must cancel it (FCA2).
    • To store the guns in anyone's house that is not your own you simply need them to sign a piece of paper giving you permission to have the guns stored there. You have this so it carries to the sub.
    • Subbing a .22 air rifle for a .22 lr is as straight forward as it gets. There will be no issues with it.
    • If you want a moderator then tick the box on the sub form and apply for it at the same time as you are doing the sub.

I think that covers it all.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

They have no say its my gun... if they refuse to drive me to the gun shop they can.... ill just get someone else to drive me and thats the end of it.

Just afraid the super might make things awkward if i apply first for the sub and not the original application on the rifle.

• Advertisement

Just afraid the super might make things awkward if i apply first for the sub and not the original application on the rifle.
    The Gardaí do not care about ownership from a "who paid for it" point of view. That is between you and the other person. Their only concern is that the law is followed and the guns licensed.

If you sub the gun, trade it, and get the new rifle and new license then the onus falls on your Mother to amend her license either by sub or cancellation. Her choice.

Not to be too cruel or harsh here, but you are fretting over nothing.

Thanks again cass ill tell them when im getting tackle from the gun shop im subbing it in whether they bring me to the gun shop or not and ill cycle to the station to leave in my sub :P

Say noting to her untill your finish in the shop and decided what you want. Irregardless of the deal you make with the RFD tell her the guns are a straight swop and its free for her to cancel her licence or you will pay for the sub. Don't complicate it or be forcefull if she is anything like my mother she would be liable to take a swing for you with the sweeping brush handle.

Make her feel its a serious offer you can't refuse and you completly respect her opinion and would be so great full if she let to so it. Then tell her you love her.

Say noting to her untill your finish in the shop and decided what you want. Irregardless of the deal you make with the RFD tell her the guns are a straight swop and its free for her to cancel her licence or you will pay for the sub. Don't complicate it or be forcefull if she is anything like my mother she would be liable to take a swing for you with the sweeping brush handle.

Make her feel its a serious offer you can't refuse and you completly respect her opinion and would be so great full if she let to so it. Then tell her you love her.

She thinks the sub is a big deal and kicking up a fuss
    I told her id have to spend an extra 50 quid getting a .22lr and she im wasting money.

She finally gave in and gave the all clear after the last 2 weeks of the easter holidays pestering her like a child in a shop for candy haha

Going to Griffen Hawe in the coming weeks

Have about 400 to play with when i get the money for my gun + cash

Just wondering what should i get.Was thinking bolt action maybe semi auto if i had to.Few guns i was considering:

Bolt Action

CZ 452
    Savage Mark 2
    Marlin Model XT
    Ruger American

Semi Auto

Ruger 10/22
    Remington 597

The one that stands out the most is the CZ 452 AMERICAN model lovely gun,shot barrel unlike the other models such as the ultra lux.Simply dont have the money for a 455

• Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭juice1304

I would get the cz best of the bunch, I would never buy a remington 597 ball of scrap.
    If i had a choice of the different models cz has to offer which i dont being a lefty, I would go for the varmint i would prefer the heavier barrel as it is mor rigid although it is a .22 but still. In saying that my cz 452 lux will shoot a ragged hole all day long. Out of the box they are the best bang for your buck and will last a lifetime. you can get alot of accessories for them too if you know where to look.

juice1304 wrote: »
    I would get the cz best of the bunch, I would never buy a remington 597 ball of scrap.
    If i had a choice of the different models cz has to offer which i dont being a lefty, I would go for the varmint i would prefer the heavier barrel as it is mor rigid although it is a .22 but still. In saying that my cz 452 lux will shoot a ragged hole all day long. Out of the box they are the best bang for your buck and will last a lifetime. you can get alot of accessories for them too if you know where to look.

Yeah 597 had magazine problems but fixed that...

Yeah like the after market stocks for the CZ's somkin hot

Is the american and Varmint the same gun?Both dont have iron sights.

Varmin has a Heavy barrel wondering would the aftermarket stocks fit this?

After market stocks should fit a heavy barrel but you can check before ordering. The difference is not so much that most manufacturers would not allow for it.

Your next step is to get an advert done up and try sell your own. Alternatively if you find the gun you like in a dealer just trade it. You'll loose a bit of money in a trade but it's far easier (at times).

Personally i'd avoid the semi autos. Not accurate (as a bolt action), and the fun factor wears off pretty quick. Then you end up spending €500 to make it shoot like a CZ straight from the box.

Jim Griffin has a barely used CZ 452 American with varmint barrel, Bushnell scope, rings, case, etc for €450. Father was looking at it himself. Check it out here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭juice1304

I'm pretty sure it would. you can get it with a thumbhole stock from the factor which is nice.
    They are the same gun bar the heavier barrel. There are other things you can get for them too such as a milled steel trigger guard, aluminum magwell, stronger firing springs, extended mag release, trigger kits or drop in triggers, picatinny rails etc..

Advertisement