Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Freezer Tips

Options
  • 20-04-2014 6:52pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 360 ✭✭

I was wondering if anyone had any freezer tips. I've never really had a freezer before (crappy rented accommodation...) and now I have one, so want to get more into making big batches of food and freezing it as 'ready meals'. Can I just put regular tupperware in the freezer? Does it matter about the type of lid, etc?

When it comes to freezing bits of meat (leftover rashers, sausages etc), is it OK to just bung them into a freezer bag, tie it at the top with a metal tie and stick it in the freezer? Is there anything I need to know? I know you should try and get as much air out of the bag as possible to prevent freezer burn. Is there a technique to this?

Finally, what meals lend themselves to freezing? I know bolognese sauce is good, as as chilli...what other stuff is good?

I know I sound like a moron, but I've made do without a freezer for years and never learned all this obvious stuff!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,778 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Split from the Chat thread. Worthy of a thread of its own.

tHB

• Registered Users Posts: 7,181 ✭✭✭dee_mc

You don't sound like a moron :) One tip I would have is for soups, sauces and stews, the freezer bags specifically designed for soups are great. They often have them in aldi. The bags are made from strong plastic, they're reusable, have a measurement guide on them and a good airtight seal. I think they are great, and they take up less space than Tupperware in the freezer.
    Yes you can freeze meat etc just as you describe, remember to only freeze really fresh food, for best results on defrosting.
    I find it handy to keep root ginger in the freezer, I tend to peel it and pop it in a freezer bag, then just grate as much as I need while it's still frozen.
    Bread also freezes perfectly, I always bake 2 loaves at a time and freeze one. Not sure if it's a myth but we learned in school that it's good to keep the freezer as full as possible because it's more economical?! Mine's always full anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭twerg_85

Always label everything including date of freezing. I've lost count of the amount of times I've thrown something in saying ah sure I'll remember what that was, only to end up tossing it out many months later without a clue what or when it was frozen.

Ziplock freezer bags are handy too.

F.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Jesus how have you gone so long without a freezer?

What about ice-cream?!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

twerg_85 wrote: »
    Always label everything including date of freezing. I've lost count of the amount of times I've thrown something in saying ah sure I'll remember what that was, only to end up tossing it out many months later without a clue what or when it was frozen.

Ziplock freezer bags are handy too.

F.

I took out some sausages the other day dated the 30th March, trouble is I wasn't sure which year it referred to! I took the risk and am thankfully still alive.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

I buy a lot of Cully & Sully soups during the winter and find the tubs they come in (which I cannot bring myself to throw away) an excellent size to freeze a large single portion or moderate 2 person portion of soup/chili/ragu/anything sauce-y. I either freeze with the lids on or wrap with cling film. The only downside is that while the tubs freeze well if you drop them on the ground while full & frozen they shatter.

So I guess my tip is reuse plastic tubs as freezer tupperware :) Saves you buying any and means you throw less stuff away

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 360 ✭✭Olive8585

Jesus how have you gone so long without a freezer?

What about ice-cream?!

Haven't really had a choice. Not fussed about ice-cream, to be honest! If I really wanted some, I'd get it in a restaurant, but it hurts my teeth!

Thanks for the tips everyone - first batch of bolognese sauce portioned and frozen!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

I make up stock, reduce it, then freeze it in ice- cube trays or ice-cube bags for later use.

Don't 'cram' the freezer and jam everything in - air needs to circulate for it to work efficiently. Fill it, to get the most from it.

If you're freezing veg, chop it first, then bag an freeze it. In fact if you're freezing anything, esp meat, make sure it's bagged or wrapped to prevent freezer burn.

You can use your freezer to make ice-cream. I'll dig out the recipe / method tomorrow..........and sorbets.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,501 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Any leftover herbs I stick in the freezer. Put them in a plastic bag and cut the label of the herb box and stick it in the bag as well. Then stick the herb bag in a ziIplock box.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

When you're cooking a roast or ham, buy a bigger one and slice and freeze the leftovers. Then you can have roast with no hassle the next time. I think larger joints cook better than small ones, and you can have a great supply of of ham in the freezer for sandwiches etc.
    I make bigger casseroles and stews too so I can freeze portions for lazy days. The foil takeaway cartons are great, you can get them in most supermarkets and €2 shops.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭tomdempsey200

how do you thaw soup veg meat?

do you just leave it on the worktop?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,181 ✭✭✭dee_mc

Fridge overnight

• Closed Accounts Posts: 817 ✭✭✭Ann Landers

Have a marker in the kitchen to write the contents and date on the various bags and containers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

I don't thaw soup, vegetables or anything in a sauce. I go straight from freezer to eating temp.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

OP I freeze all of the following:

Soup
    Stew
    Shepherds pie
    Lasagne
    Chilli
    Bolognese (not the pasta)
    Any raw meat I've bought but don't have time to cook immediately

For thawing, I put the stuff in the fridge

I travel a lot with work, and there have been weeks when my OH has literally eaten out of the freezer and eaten well, as I'd do a bulk cook, seperate the stuff into portions, and freeze it.

I also mark what each frozen item is.

I find the cartons from our local Chinese (the plastic ones, not the foil/paper ones) great for using as freezing containers.

Fridge overnight or if it's relatively small I'll use the microwave.

<snip>

Larger items ( turkeys etc) may take a few days to thaw out thoroughly in the fridge.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,649 ✭✭✭Glebee

Can meat go off in the freezer???

Glebee wrote: »

No, but it can 'dry out' if it's exposed while being frozen down in a domestic freezer.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,649 ✭✭✭Glebee

Jawgap wrote: »
    No, but it can 'dry out' if it's exposed while being frozen down in a domestic freezer.

Cheers for that. And by exposed you mean not covered up I take it?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,040 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

It won't go off as such but the flavour, texture and appearance can deteriorate.

• Advertisement

Cheers for that. And by exposed you mean not covered up I take it?

Yes.

I am concerned about the safety aspect, which is why I never really got into reheating leftovers. If I freeze a portion of bolognese in tupperware, what's the best way to defrost it? What about rashers or sausages in a freezer bag?

Olive8585 wrote: »
    I am concerned about the safety aspect, which is why I never really got into reheating leftovers. If I freeze a portion of bolognese in tupperware, what's the best way to defrost it? What about rashers or sausages in a freezer bag?

Food safety advice is not allowed here but I'll give you some general tips and let the mods decide what to do.
    The best and safest way to defrost anything is in the fridge - overnight for smaller things, big joints can take days to defrost.

You can also defrost in the microwave. Something liquidy like bolognese or soup is fine to defrost in the microwave but pieces of meat aren't great in the microwave as parts start to cook while others remain frozen. I often defrost and heat stews in the microwave without problems.

I find rashers and sausages freeze very well, but like anything in the freezer, the better wrapped they are the better they will fare - I use cling film for rashers and sausages. Again these are best left to defrost overnight in the fridge but if you take it slow in the microwave (lowest power setting and some patience) they come out ok too.

For some reason, I find that chicken casseroles do not fare well in the freezer - just not very nice.
    I find that raw, very fresh fish freezes extremely well.

I presume signposting to f/s advice is ok?

Some more info is available here......

http://www.safefood.eu/Food-Safety/Cooking.aspx

Would rashers/sausages left in the fridge have defrosted enough to be used the next day? How long do things normally take to defrost in the fridge? Would the fridge thing also apply to stuff like shepherds pie or chili frozen in tupperware? Can you not cook it directly from frozen like you would with a ready meal?

Olive8585 wrote: »
    Would rashers/sausages left in the fridge have defrosted enough to be used the next day? How long do things normally take to defrost in the fridge? Would the fridge thing also apply to stuff like shepherds pie or chili frozen in tupperware? Can you not cook it directly from frozen like you would with a ready meal?

Read my post above.
    I've answered all these questions.
    How long something will take to defrost depends on it's mass, density and shape and the temp of your fridge. No one can give you an exact answer.

Ice cream recipe / technique (no machine needed)

Another tip for the freezer - take heavy shot glasses, dip the them in water water, remove them from the water and place open side down on a tray, place the tray in the freezer and enjoy your favourite spirit in them after a few hours.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

I freeze mainly fresh meat, also sausages and home made chicken stock. If I have leftover shepherds pie or bolognese I freeze it in the plastic takeaway boxes. We don't buy much in the way of takeaways but I bought the boxes in the Asian supermarket. If you have fresh lemons/limes you can either squeeze the juice into ice cube trays and freeze them and you can defrost the juice if you need just a little for drinks or for baking. I know someone who just freezes slices of lemons/limes for popping into drinks. I also freeze sliced bread though I know purists would say it affects the taste, but its very handy. I sometimes freeze chopped parsley with a little water in the ice cube trays as well. At the moment my son has his Easter egg in the freezer!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭livinsane

If you want to freeze small portions of stuff, use silicon muffin cases. Once frozen, pop the frozen food from the case, and put in a freezer bag.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

When freezing sauces like spag bol or chilli, flatten the contents of the bag and spread the food out rather than having a big lump in the bottom of the freezer bag. It makes defrosting much quicker.

If you have a vacuum sealer, use it to store foods for freezing. It prolongs the life of freezer food and prevents freezer burn and frost.

Advertisement