Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Freezer Tips

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

I buy a lot of Cully & Sully soups during the winter and find the tubs they come in (which I cannot bring myself to throw away) an excellent size to freeze a large single portion or moderate 2 person portion of soup/chili/ragu/anything sauce-y. I either freeze with the lids on or wrap with cling film. The only downside is that while the tubs freeze well if you drop them on the ground while full & frozen they shatter.

So I guess my tip is reuse plastic tubs as freezer tupperware :) Saves you buying any and means you throw less stuff away
    I find Carte D'or icecream tubs are great for freezing larger batches of stuff. They don't shatter if you drop them either!

I freeze left over wine in icecube bags to be used later in sauces.

I've started growing herbs and when some of the leaves start getting droopy, I freeze them as well (I like this idea for basil in particular seeing as it doesn't survive winter!).

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 360 ✭✭Olive8585

I find Carte D'or icecream tubs are great for freezing larger batches of stuff. They don't shatter if you drop them either!

I freeze left over wine in icecube bags to be used later in sauces.

I've started growing herbs and when some of the leaves start getting droopy, I freeze them as well (I like this idea for basil in particular seeing as it doesn't survive winter!).

If you freeze wine, how do you defrost it again? Do you just put it directly into the sauce (say, ragu), or?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

Olive8585 wrote: »
    If you freeze wine, how do you defrost it again? Do you just put it directly into the sauce (say, ragu), or?
    I put it directly in the sauce (don't know if that's the correct way but it works for me!)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

I put it directly into whatever I'm cooking too. I find it easiest to freeze it in a tub, then scoop out as many tablespoonfuls as I need. It doesn't freeze solid.

I once froze red wine in an ice cube bag, and when I lifted it out of the freezer to use some, it leaked and went everywhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 817 ✭✭✭Ann Landers

I put it directly into whatever I'm cooking too. I find it easiest to freeze it in a tub, then scoop out as many tablespoonfuls as I need. It doesn't freeze solid.

Ooh, good to know!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Jawgap wrote: »
    Don't 'cram' the freezer and jam everything in - air needs to circulate for it to work efficiently.

This isn't right is it? I'm sure i've even seen people stuff spare spaces in their freezers with newspapers, to reduce the air in there.

Everytime you open it, the cold air is replaced by warm air, which has to be cooled all over again. Less air = more efficient?

Anyway, my things which are great in the freezer are ginger and garlic. Freeze them as soon as you get them and they defrost really well into cooking. You can chop chillis straight from frozen, ginger needs a few seconds in the microwave first so you don't blunt you knife.

I also freeze fresh soft herbs like basil into icecubes trays with either oil or butter. Stick in ziplock bags as soon as frozen.

Egg whites are another good freezer staple. If I make a hollandaise or lemon curd, bag the leftover egg whites and freeze. Defrost when you want to use them at a later date.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

I freeze left over wine

Leftover wine you say???! I didn't know such a thing existed! :)

My freezer tip is it's wonderful for time consuming dishes like lasagne. I make it from scratch and I normally make two or three big ones at once and freeze.

Homemade fish and chicken stock also freeze very well.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,040 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

I freeze bones - mostly chicken bones from all the thighs we eat but any bones really. When I have enough, I make stock, reduce it, freeze it in ice cube trays, then bag it.
    Great for adding to sauces and reductions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

pwurple wrote: »
    This isn't right is it? I'm sure i've even seen people stuff spare spaces in their freezers with newspapers, to reduce the air in there.

Everytime you open it, the cold air is replaced by warm air, which has to be cooled all over again. Less air = more efficient?

Generally, yes it would be true. Warm air 'costs' more to cool down than cold air, but newspapers or anything solid costs more again - if you are constantly in and out of your freezer then filling the voids makes sense.

However, if you are constantly removing and adding stuff then filling the voids makes less sense because you are cooling things (newspapers) then discarding them to put food items in - you're 'throwing away' cold!

If you cram the freezer full (as in fill it so there is very little space for air to circulate) stuff will take longer to chill down.

So maybe some space to allow air to circulate along with voids that are likely to be empty for longer periods filled with newspapers is the way to go?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

I freeze bones - mostly chicken bones from all the thighs we eat but any bones really.
    I freeze all my leftover wings that I get in the chinese takeaway, I only eat the soup myself so have no issue me having eaten right off the bones beforehand. Sure any germs would be killed in the cooking but it might still turn people off.
    I once froze red wine in an ice cube bag, and when I lifted it out of the freezer to use some, it leaked and went everywhere.
    If you place a lukewarm bag in the freezer it can defrost the frosted surface in there, this liquid can make its way into any folds or crevices in your bag, now the bag is anchored in place with newly formed ice. Now when you lift it off again the bag can rip.

I have a dedicated ice cube tray for sauces & natural yogurt & stuff, you freeze and pop them into another bag. Sauces could impart flavour into your drinks if you used your standard tray.

So maybe some space to allow air to circulate along with voids that are likely to be empty for longer periods filled with newspapers is the way to go?
    That is it, I have an open area to freeze food quickly, once frozen I can move that food to a packed up area.

Air does not take as much energy to cool down water per litre. The newspapers are put in the bags to stop the collapsing, it should not be stacked flat newspapers, it should be crumpled up ones, or maybe that really light packing stuff you get. If you put a kids balloon in the freezer I think it would collapse as the air cooled. The paper idea is to create a large volume like a balloon with minimal heat capacity. I get reusable takeaway trays, like lunchboxes. I use these to fill voids, also when I need to freeze food I have them prechilled and use one.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭Maphisto

In the past I have frozen a ripe Brie that we were not going to eat for a good while - turned out fine when it thawed.

Fresh Oysters - again turned out fine.

We regularly freeze milk as we live out in the Ouloo (Nearest shop 5.2 miles) - we only use low fat and it always tastes fine when its defrosted.

Has anyone ever frozen Bread Dough?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

I've often done pastry, I've never done bread dough.

I think you'll find the oyster were dead!! How's they taste?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,501 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Maphisto wrote: »
    Has anyone ever frozen Bread Dough?

I freeze pizza and indian flatbread dough all the time with no problem. I'm sure normal bread dough would be the same.

I think you'll find the oyster were dead!! How's they taste?

Tasted fine. I think I shared about 18 with my Dad (about 12 yrs ago)

I freeze pizza and indian flatbread dough all the time with no problem. I'm sure normal bread dough would be the same.

So you'd freeze it after its risen just before baking?

Maphisto wrote: »
    So you'd freeze it after its risen just before baking?

Doesn't really matter. I freeze it after it's risen once or twice, I've refrozen it if I haven't used it all, it's pretty much bullet proof.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭tomdempsey200

• Registered Users Posts: 7,181 ✭✭✭dee_mc

Nope, you need to peel, chop, blanch and freeze.

Edit: Googley-woogley, apparently freezing whole and unblanched has worked for people, but even without blanching I'd peel and chop first because I wouldn't fancy peeling them frozen, and any veg I know of is better cooked from frozen rather than from thawed :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Plus, you'd need to open freeze them (flat on a tray) before bagging them so they wouldn't stick together. I often chop and cook them then mash them before freezing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭tomdempsey200

I prob won't bother

I'll just eat em fresh

• Advertisement

Any bananas about to go off in the house?

Peel them and chop it into pieces and freeze them.

On a hot day you can stick the frozen pieces in a food processor with some milk and you have a banana milk shake!

Add honey and chocolate spread if you like. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,181 ✭✭✭dee_mc

Any bananas about to go off in the house?

Peel them and chop it into pieces and freeze them.

On a hot day you can stick the frozen pieces in a food processor with some milk and you have a banana milk shake!

Add honey and chocolate spread if you like. :)

Leave out the milk and you have a passable substitute for ice cream. Lovely with a tiny bit of peanut butter instead of the chocolate spread. Om nom nom. Bananas only last 2 or 3 months in the freezer though, in my experience.

Advertisement