Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Google Account linked to UK content

Options
  • 20-04-2014 7:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 28

Hi,

I have a somewhat unusual problem. I purchased a Nexus 4 over a year ago through the UK Google Play Store. I live in Ireland and I can't access Irish apps like Vodafone.ie and such. I do however have access to download BBC iPlayer etc which should be restricted on the app store in Ireland. Anyway, now the Nexus 5 is available on Google Play Ireland...

The interesting part is when I sign in to my Google account I automatically get redirected to the UK Google Play devices page, which I assume has to do with my last purchase and it's geo location. This also seems to be hard wired to my Nexus as it often shows me content peculiar to Britain e.g. on the news app it shows me news feeds from British newspapers and not Irish papers.

I've tried the basics i.e. enabling location services to detect me being in Ireland etc but it seems as though my Google Account itself give me British content and not Irish. Now that Nexus Devices are available here I will be making my purchases through the Irish store...

Does anyone know how I can edit my Google account so that all this will go away and when I sign in to the Google Play store I won't get redirected to the UK site.

I have a UPC connection, and not using a VPN or anything.

I'm assuming these two symptoms are related and part of my Google Account settings but I'm not too sure. Have tried Dashboard etc...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭kc66

I have had the same problem since purchasing a nexus 4. Tried everything including contacting Google support but got nowhere. Can't make any purchases.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 genericstranger

What did Google Support Say?

I forgot to mention when I did buy the Nexus 4 I used my brother's UK address but it seems ridiculous I get apps for the UK on Play when I am using an Irish network.

If I log on to www.google.ie and sign in to my google account it signs in alright but then when I click devices it redirects me to Google Play UK.

The Nexus 4 content is quite annoying though too.

There's got to be a solution out there. :)

Good to know I'm not the only one.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭kc66

They just gave some generic response. It was like they didn't read my email. I replied to it but that was the last I heard.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,241 ✭✭✭ongarite

Your Google account is tied to your credit card billing address which I assume is the UK as you bought the Nexus 4 through the UK store.
    Log into your Google wallet account and register your card with Irish address.

Hi, I was just playing around and just edited my billing address. It still redirects me but maybe it takes time to update.

Thanks for the help. Hope it works.

• Advertisement

After editing my Google Wallet address details and updating my billing address that has resolved the issue.

Thanks for the help. Can't believe it was that easy!

Advertisement