Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Transporting a dog across the country?

• 20-04-2014 7:01pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭

Simply asking out of curiosity as this popped into my head. Say, you don't have a car and there was a dog on the west side of Ireland that you wanted to transport to you on the East, how would you go about this? Or would it just be a matter of having a friend who'd be willing to do the drive with/for you? Or is there a service out there that allows or caters to this?

[Dog Training + Behaviour Nerd]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Big dog or small dog? If small check the link below.

http://www.irishrail.ie/travel-information/travelling-with-animals

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭VonVix

Big dog or small dog? If small check the link below.

http://www.irishrail.ie/travel-information/travelling-with-animals

Either. But that information is good to know with regards small dogs, thanks!

I'm curious now though with the size of my dogs as they are on the medium scale. :p

[Dog Training + Behaviour Nerd]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

They mention lapdogs so i think it is any dog that can fit snugly on a seat beside you, might be an idea to post this in the transport forum too, the guys there could tell you what if any dogs are ok to transport on trains and buses, good luck with this.

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭designbydan

VonVix wrote: »
    Either. But that information is good to know with regards small dogs, thanks!

I'm curious now though with the size of my dogs as they are on the medium scale. :p

years ago ( about 8 years now) I used to travel to back to Dublin from Mayo on the train with my German Shepard. we had to tie her up in the back with other cargo nearer to the engine. Once or twice a conductor would let us keep her on a lead and close to us instead if the train was empty. All I'll say about the cargo hold was it was so bloody noisy, I never felt right about leaving her in there as I'm sure it killed her ears, but we had no other choice I suppose.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 583 ✭✭✭Inexile

there is also a professional pet transporter but it costs about €250 to get a dog from Cork to Dublin but it is a door to door service

• Advertisement
Advertisement