Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Filing Taxes for 2013

Options
  • 20-04-2014 8:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I was in the US on the Summer J1 last year, and i know i have to file my taxes (or should have done it by the 15th of April) -- though, i was still waiting for the documents from my employer to be sent, which i only received a few days ago.

I was trying to file my taxes online, but it said i cannot do that, as i am abroad.

I presume i have to post it to IRS in Texas? -- totally confused!

i barely paid 50 bucks in federal taxes, and nothing in state/local taxes. regardless of this, do i still have to legally file for my tax return? - as in, will it effect me in the future, when i want to go back to the US on another working Visa? (that is my plan)

will there be any repercussions for not filling, or, filling late (as its already passed the 15th) ?

thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

If you earned under approx $9000 in the year, you don't have to file a return at all. It is only mandatory if you earned over that amount. If you only paid 50 bucks in tax, I presume that you did not earn that much.

Hang on to your W2 & the rest of the paperwork that your employers sent you. If you ever go back to the US, it is possible that the IRS will want to know why you didn't file a tax return for 2013. As your W2 is an official statement of earnings statement from your employer, it is proof that you were below the income threshold for mandatory filings.

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭Dave1442397

Also, the April 15th deadline is pretty irrelevant if they owe you money, which they probably do. If you want to file taxes, use TurboTaxOnline.com (or equivalent, but that's what I use) and fill in all the details. Turbo Tax lets you see how much your refund is before you pay.

You probably only need a 1040-EZ form, which you can fill in in a few minutes - http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f1040ez.pdf

The IRS website can tell you where to send the form.

If you worked in Texas, there are no state income taxes there, so no need to file anything except your Federal 1040-EZ.

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭Dave1442397

It won't let me edit that post, but for simple taxes, forget Turbo Tax and just use the 1040-EZ link.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭spideog7

It won't let me edit that post, but for simple taxes, forget Turbo Tax and just use the 1040-EZ link.

He'll need to use the 1040-NR for non-residents assuming he was in the US for less than 6 months.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

Hijacking this thread just to say that I'm $3700 richer this week :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭iusedtoknow

i ended up with a refund from Uncle Sam, but had to pay the great state of CA an almost equal amount. With the cost of filing I came out with $4 :)

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭oB1

Thanks all for the responses -- i was in Orlando, FL for 3 months.. earned a little over 3k paid no state tax and only about $50 on federal income tax. I tried the online tax filing sites, but wouldn't let me due to the low amount. I am not really that bothered about getting the $50 back, its more so to cover my ass when i want to go and work in the US again.

Advertisement