Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

taking toddler on holiday

Options
  • 20-04-2014 9:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hi all,

I'm looking for other parents opinions on taking a 20 month old toddler on a sun holiday on my own? I'm a single mother and would love a sun holiday this summer with her and don't have the option of holidaying with anyone else.

I was thinking of Portugal or fueraventura? Do people think I'm mad or would this be a possibility?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭dublinlady

higgypiggy wrote: »
    Hi all,

I'm looking for other parents opinions on taking a 20 month old toddler on a sun holiday on my own? I'm a single mother and would love a sun holiday this summer with her and don't have the option of holidaying with anyone else.

I was thinking of Portugal or fueraventura? Do people think I'm mad or would this be a possibility?

I think it depends on budget and your expectations! I think u could have a great time if u find accommodation where u can sunbathe when she naps, so a balcony in sun etc, I think other than that time you'll be avoiding the direct sun mostly and may as well be in Ireland? Altho playing by the pool and swimming with sun gear on would be lovely! U could eat out at 5/6pm and Portugal etc is very friendly to kids dining so I'd say you'll have no prob! Then an early night and a glass of white wine and I'd certainly be happy! Could be done id say and needn't cost a fortune!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭lonestargirl

I don't see why you shouldn't go but I would stick to May / early June or September when it won't be too hot. I'm going to Portugal with my son for a short break at the start of May. We'll hang out by the pool during the day, in an SPF suit when out in the water and then sitting under an umbrella with books / toys. He's 3 but still naps for 2 hours at the middle of the day and will stay awake until 8.30-9.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,260 ✭✭✭Mink

I'm going with my 20mth old to Portugal mid June, albeit with the other half.

If you are on your own, make things as EASY as possible. Shortest flight time possible, ie not Lanzarote or Turkey. Not a flight at a crazy time (mine is at 5.05 am, yes I am mental), a swift transfer from airport to hotel (some resorts in Portugal have a 2hr transfer time).

I found it extremely hard to find anything on net that ticked all the boxes that needed ticking what with a 20mth old in tow. So we went in to a travel agent and booked it so that we could tell them exactly what we needed and could easily rule things out - for instance we needed a 1 bed apartment, not a hotel room as we were hardly going to go to bed same time as our son.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

I brought my 1st to France for a month when she was 4 months old . it was lovely . we got a mobile home , the weather was gorgeous and himself came out for 10 days .
    Camp sites are very friendly and we had a great time .

• Registered Users Posts: 3 higgypiggy

Thanks for all the responses! Ya i was thinking somewhere not too far so the flight would be manageable and just sitting at the beach or by the pool with her during the day and once she goes to bed in the evening i can sit back and read a book. I'm not expecting anymore than this!

Moonbeam i like the sound of the mobile homes in France and i was just looking them up and they look lovely. Did you mind being alone in the mobile home parks when your partner was not there? I'm thinking of going in September as i don't think it would be too warm then?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

higgypiggy wrote: »
    Thanks for all the responses! Ya i was thinking somewhere not too far so the flight would be manageable and just sitting at the beach or by the pool with her during the day and once she goes to bed in the evening i can sit back and read a book. I'm not expecting anymore than this!

Moonbeam i like the sound of the mobile homes in France and i was just looking them up and they look lovely. Did you mind being alone in the mobile home parks when your partner was not there? I'm thinking of going in September as i don't think it would be too warm then?

Nope , not at all .
    We went in may I think , it was pretty quite , cheap and not too hot .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭Staplor

If you go for a package holiday those bus transfers can take ages, have a look around and you should find a relatively cheap private transfer (or book a package without a transfer).

I was in Albufeira last year with a 5 Month old, he'll be 17 months old this year when we go back, I'm flying at about 6am so hopefully he should get some sleep on it, flying back at 11am, again praying for sleep.

Have a good look at Trip Advisor before you book anything, you can read reviews and filter by those travelling with kids. This year I'm going to a place with great facilities and terrible food - so I booked it self catering. Last year was a place that was clean and basic, with a balcony and sunbeds.

Advertisement