Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New puppy training tips :)

• 20-04-2014 10:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭

Hello,

I recently got a 9 week puppy and we are crate training him and it seems to be going 'OK'.. he mostly does not like when we leave him in it at night (he crys and moans very loudly!)

The other 'problem' we are having is training him to go to the toilet on pads/paper. He is doing really well then all of a sudden he will just go pee or poop on the main floor. I tell him No but he continues to do it.
    It is not as if he can not go outside as I bring him out after each feed and I wait with him until he goes but even though he seems to do all he can outside he still holds a bit of pee for inside! ... What can I do??

I noticed also that he drinks a lot. Tonight I filled his small bowl half way and he drank it all in one go and was sniffing the bowl for more! Is this normal puppy behavior? He is hyper so he might be using a lot of energy which might be a factor for this I don't know as I never owned a pup before.?

Any advice would be great. Thanks in advance. :D

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Ok for a start get rid of the pads and paper. It's confusing the pup. You can't have both, it's either outside or inside.

Secondly please tell me you are not leaving the pup in the crate all night with out letting him out a few times to go to the toilet? How long is the pup in the crate at night?

Also, the pup is only 9 weeks, a baby, and cannot hold it in for very long. Their bladder just can't do it at that age so he will just go when needs to. It takes weeks even months to toilet train a pup so you need to be very patient and give the poor pup a chance. You are expecting an awful lot from a 9 week old pup to be honest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭VonVix

I'm pretty reserved when it comes to training pads/paper technique, at the end of the day you're teaching your dog that it's okay to go indoors, even if it's under specific circumstances. I learnt the hard way with that, ended up having to figure out a new way how to properly re-toilet train two adult dogs at they are only 90% there at this stage, I still have to make sure I wake up early enough for them lol.

And I think it's pretty normal for a puppy of only 9 weeks to still have accidents, they have a long way to go yet in order to have consistency and control at that age.

You might be best tethering him to your waist on a leash if you're having him roam around the house, at least you can monitor him and learn when he's starting to show his cues for looking for somewhere to go to the bathroom (usually sniffing and circling an area).

As for the water drinking, can't help you there! I'm not the most experienced with puppies in that area.

[Dog Training + Behaviour Nerd]

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭Ms.Sunshine

andreac wrote: »
    Ok for a start get rid of the pads and paper. It's confusing the pup. You can't have both, it's either outside or inside.

Secondly please tell me you are not leaving the pup in the crate all night with out letting him out a few times to go to the toilet? How long is the pup in the crate at night?

Also, the pup is only 9 weeks, a baby, and cannot hold it in for very long. Their bladder just can't do it at that age so he will just go when needs to. It takes weeks even months to toilet train a pup so you need to be very patient and give the poor pup a chance. You are expecting an awful lot from a 9 week old pup to be honest.

Thanks for your reply. No I don't leave him in his crate all night I bring him out to do his business which he does but then when he goes back into the crate he is hyper and yelps again. I have tried the clock ticking / hot water bottle(luke warm) trick and it worked last night. So hopefully it will help him to settle again.

But how long at a time is the pup in the crate for? Is the pup fed before bed time? Is he tired when he's going to bed?

All these things will help settle a pup to sleep. You can't just lock the pup in the crate all night.
    Did you gradually get the pup used to the crate?

VonVix wrote: »
    I'm pretty reserved when it comes to training pads/paper technique, at the end of the day you're teaching your dog that it's okay to go indoors, even if it's under specific circumstances. I learnt the hard way with that, ended up having to figure out a new way how to properly re-toilet train two adult dogs at they are only 90% there at this stage, I still have to make sure I wake up early enough for them lol.

And I think it's pretty normal for a puppy of only 9 weeks to still have accidents, they have a long way to go yet in order to have consistency and control at that age.

You might be best tethering him to your waist on a leash if you're having him roam around the house, at least you can monitor him and learn when he's starting to show his cues for looking for somewhere to go to the bathroom (usually sniffing and circling an area).

As for the water drinking, can't help you there! I'm not the most experienced with puppies in that area.

Thanks for that! So would you recommend I get rid of all pads and just bring him outside and not give him the option of the pads?

• Advertisement

Thanks for that! So would you recommend I get rid of all pads and just bring him outside and not give him the option of the pads?

Yes, definitely.

Yes, no pads, no paper, the circumstances are too specific for a puppy to understand what you are looking for. He's essentially learning to go where he feels is a good spot, regardless of where it is.

But how long at a time is the pup in the crate for? Is the pup fed before bed time? Is he tired when he's going to bed?

All these things will help settle a pup to sleep. You can't just lock the pup in the crate all night.
    Did you gradually get the pup used to the crate?

At night the puppy would be in the crate say every 2-3 hours before brought out for a pee. He never goes inside the crate which is good. Yes he gradually got used to the crate and he likes it during the day but at night time he hates it ..as soon as we walk out of the room and turn of the lights he crys. No, he isn't fed before bed. He is fed after we have our tea in the evening at say 7ish. He is put into his crate then at 10 until it is pee time again for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Melissa30

Congrats on your new puppy!

Have to agree, get rid of the pads. Its just confusing the pup, its easier in the long run to get him used to only going outside. Try not to interact with him at night, bring him out to pee, praise when he goes and then straight back to bed. If he cries just ignore, I know its difficult but don't give any attention. I learn the hard way, we brought our first pup to bed with us when she cried at night and it took months to get her used to sleeping in the kitchen.

What are you feeding him? Dogs on dry food drink a lot more than raw/fresh fe dogs.

How long do you have the pup? It can take a while to get used to a routine.

• Advertisement

Melissa30 wrote: »
    Congrats on your new puppy!

Have to agree, get rid of the pads. Its just confusing the pup, its easier in the long run to get him used to only going outside. Try not to interact with him at night, bring him out to pee, praise when he goes and then straight back to bed. If he cries just ignore, I know its difficult but don't give any attention. I learn the hard way, we brought our first pup to bed with us when she cried at night and it took months to get her used to sleeping in the kitchen.

What are you feeding him? Dogs on dry food drink a lot more than raw/fresh fe dogs.

Thanks! :) I am very excited to have the pup. Ok I will get rid of the pads. Should we use them outside or just forget about them completely. ? Feeding him dry food with a few drops of water to soften it a bit. That is interesting. I didn't realize that could make him thirsty. It is VERY tempting to bring him into the room sometimes!!
    Any tips of leash training? He hates the lead..

Andreac: I have him 4 days.. so we are still both getting used to each other!! It must be just him getting used to routine.

Ah well then def give him a chance. He's still unsettled after being taken away from his mother and siblings. But just keep a routine as that is best. The crying will eventually stop but don't give in to it. Just let the pup out to the toilet at night but don't interact too much and straight back to bed.

With leash training just slowly introduce the collar then the lead. Don't do too much at once. Gentle coaxing and lots of praise and rewards but def give the pup a bit more time to settle in without asking too much of him.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Melissa30

Dry food is dehydrated food so when you think about it, it makes sense that they need more water to balance it out. A dog that is fed fresh food gets a lot of moisture from the food and wouldn't usually drink much water.

I would just leave the lead drag after him in the house (only when supervised) and occasionally pick it up, he'll soon get used to it. Just be aware he's not safe to go for walks or interact with other dogs until after his final vaccination. When he does get used to the lead be careful not to over walk him as his joints will be easily damaged.

Ah well then def give him a chance. He's still unsettled after being taken away from his mother and siblings. But just keep a routine as that is best. The crying will eventually stop but don't give in to it. Just let the pup out to the toilet at night but don't interact too much and straight back to bed.

With leash training just slowly introduce the collar then the lead. Don't do too much at once. Gentle coaxing and lots of praise and rewards but def give the pup a bit more time to settle in without asking too much of him.

Great Advice, thanks a mill! Just one more question.. His back kind of arches as if he is about to poop or something when ever he walks but it just stays like that and his tale is sometimes between his legs.. I know the tale can often mean he is nervous but his back I am not too sure about!!? ( he does wag his tale aswell but his back stays like that!? ) any idea what that might be.. if anything!?

Great Advice, thanks a mill! Just one more question.. His back kind of arches as if he is about to poop or something when ever he walks but it just stays like that and his tale is sometimes between his legs.. I know the tale can often mean he is nervous but his back I am not too sure about!!? ( he does wag his tale aswell but his back stays like that!? ) any idea what that might be.. if anything!?

Could he be stretching? One of my dog's, when he wakes up, does this awkward arched back position for a moment or two, though that is often accompanied by him stretching his back legs out.

VonVix wrote: »
    Could he be stretching? One of my dog's, when he wakes up, does this awkward arched back position for a moment or two, though that is often accompanied by him stretching his back legs out.

No it doesn't seem to be a stretch, because he stays like that! maybe it is him still finding his feet and getting used to walking because he is a bit clumsy! :rolleyes:

Advertisement