Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2 year old early wakening

Options
  • 21-04-2014 6:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭

My two and a bit year old is driving Me insane the last 3-4 nights. She slept til 7.30 every morning before that. She was sick and woke at 5 for medicine etc which was fine, we kept her in bed and kept interaction minimal although there was a bit of cuddling cos she felt rotten. Now she's waking even tho she's better and keeps saying sun - want sun now - in relation to her gro clock - I just say it's still night time the stars are still out and mamas tired so shhhh! She either crying or just talking to herself - either is equally annoying when ur trying to sleep. Ste has black out blinds and curtains so it's not the light. The birds might be waking her - they quite annoying starting at that time. She demands drink etc the works anything to keep me engaged. This am I said no it's sleep time and have left her to it but none of us able sleep as she's talking or whinging constantly. Any tips? Literally just the last week her body clock seems to have reset itself for 5am. Last couple days she fell back asleep eventually at about 7 when we had to get up - and sleot til 9.30 ish . Today I'll make her get up at 7.30 with everyone else to try get back into routine. We are so unhappy as just got the younger one sleeping thru reliably :(

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,893 ✭✭✭Hannibal Smith

We're having the same trouble with our 2 year old. Though we've just taken his bottles awayand thought that would fix it but nope. The only thing im going on now is that it will sort itself out in time and just to keep my head down and ride through it. I don't know what else we can do. If one more person tells me to put him to bed later...I'll slap them!

Sorry...not much help lol

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭staticdoor71

Same here the last 2 maybe three weeks. Last night or should I say this morning she woke at 4.30...and stayed awake till 7 then slept till 5 past 10. I've no idea what it us either. But it's driving me mad
    It's not sun. Not too hot or cold. No way she could b hungry. No pain. Just playin silly buggers from what I can see.
    I just leave her to it now. She talks to glow worm.. I've a cough at the min and I can hear her say mammy has a terrible cough when I cough.
    I'm sure she will get bored of it eventually.
    I've tried bed later..no better.
    I'm 5 months pregnant at min and it's starting to wear thin but sure what can I do 😕

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭dublinlady

She broken can I send her back?? :)
    Honestly she's been in bed for 2 hours and is still singing like a lunatic! Having a great time :( I woke her at 8 tis am even tho she had just fallen asleep and made her get up for the day - ran the legs off her at the park , fed the ducks etc, she had hour and half nap in afternoon as was shattered - I woke her from that - yet here we are - sleep is the last thing on the agenda! How did this happen overnight??! I'm going to bed now myself I'm so wrecked from all her high jinx last night and I've no hope of sleeping through the party she has going on in her room!
    Terrible twos landing perhaps? Altho the tantrums landed at 18 months! Gosh... I really thought at some point I'd get sleep back :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,816 ✭✭✭Suucee

My daughter (2 next week) went through a similar phase recently. Not so much early wakening but just not going asleep at her usual bedtime. She would lie in bed singing and chatting. It started 3 weeks ago when the clocks went forward but also when her baby brother was born.
    We tried shortening her daytine nap (ended up with a terrible cranky madam) so just left her to it.
    It seems to have been just a phase as for the last 4 or 5 nighta shes going asleep straight away.
    No idea if it was because of her new brother or what but all sorted now and we changed nothing. Hoping your ladies settle soon.

Here's hoping.
    My lady hasn't had a nap since around August and she's still being a douche :-)

I wouldn't mind but it's not like she sits on her bum all day. Today we had a 5km walk..fed ducks.. feck all sleep last night... I shall report back in morning see how we did :)

• Advertisement

Hah! 7 am and hes still not awake. ..I did nothing different other than bad mouth him on here! Cant believe im calling 7am a lie in. ..but I'll take it over 5am any day.

Im back in work tomorrow so maybe he's saving it up for tonight.

Hope you all fared ok last night!

Hmmmm I got till 8.20 this morning..

Maybe I should complain every night :)

Not so lucky here / 4.30 kick off and I don't havre patience for her at all. :(
    Could it be teethibg?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭Saint_Mel

Having similar issue here the past week or so with our 2 [SIZE="-2"]1/2[/SIZE] year old! He was pure gold for sleeping up until recently.

He had started climbing out over the bars of his cot so we had to take them off an make it a bed so he wouldn't do himself harm trying to make his escape :).

Since then he is waking at 4am or so every morning and storming in demanding breakfast, and when we put him back in his room he won't stay or go back to sleep!!!!! He just tries to climb into our bed, and even at that he wont go back to sleep, just jumps around everywhere and swings the arms and legs....usually getting me square in the face!

We're usually up around 6.30am and before this we'd have to drag him out of bed at 7. Getting to be a nightmare as we both have over an hours drive to work so being up since 4 is not ideal :(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

Saint_mel of recommend getting a gro clock. It's very simple: blue stars mean stay in bed, orange sun means time to get up. It worked for our son when we moved him to a bed at 2.5 and it still works almost a year later.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

Dublinlady does she have all her molars? O got his last 4 around this time last year. They were very tough going and we gave a lot of calpol.

Saint_mel of recommend getting a gro clock. It's very simple: blue stars mean stay in bed, orange sun means time to get up. It worked for our son when we moved him to a bed at 2.5 and it still works almost a year later.

Hadn't heard of them before this thread so I'll check it out. Cheers

*runs to Google*

How strange - she doesn't have her back molars - she's a slow teether - still only gettin the four 'eye teeth' ? Is that what they are called? And also the back molars. She but one eye tooth a month ago but rest still to come.
    I feel it started when she had a bad cough last week and is now in the habit of it? I also suspect nightmares? She does seem quite upset when she wakes.
    She does seem to understand the gro clock well - but when she wakes now is saying she wants it to be sun time ! Bless her! But we are both working full time and opposite hours and are exhausted - just can't go on like this... But I know there's nothing I can do only troop on and get on with it. It's the price we pay to have such lovely fun sweethearts every now and again!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭Gee_G

I must look into getting a gro clock for my little fella!!

My little man is 20months and went through an awful phase of getting up anytime from 5am(usually 8 or 8.30). It was a nightmare. It went on for about 6/8weeks until the clocks changed in March. But we also realised then that his eye teeth had FINALLY cut through! They had been bulging for months!

5.55am this morning. ..still a 5 in the hour but its moving in the right direction.

I dunno would changing him to a bed make a difference. It's the last thing we haven't tried yet. We've tried putting him in the double bed with his brother but that was a mistake lol.

Still its only reading threads like egan2012's you think the problem is absolutely small fry and all part of the funand games. My kmother in law says my husband never slept till he was 3...wish she'd mentioned that before ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭Xdancer

My daughter is an early riser....7.30 is an extreme lie in in this house. It's usually 6.30, but there was a phase a few months back when it was 5.30 or 6am. It was tough going.
    I tried a gro clock but she hated it. Even on the lowest setting it was way to bright and prevented her from sleeping or settling herself back to sleep.

Ok last two morning I've got till 8 and half 8.

Now I'm not counting my chickens.. but it would appear she's hungry.
    Is there a magic 2 year old growth spurt I know nothing of?

Her routine used to be brekky dinner tea and snacks in between..

Last two days I've done brekky lunch dinner..so her main meal is in the evening rather than lunch time ...and she has slept through both nights.

I feel terrible that I haven't thought of this earlier..Poor child :(

Didn't get the Gro Clock in the end ... like a flick of a switch he just went back into his regular sleep pattern all of a sudden!

Kids ... they so crazy!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭hallo dare

I'd give anything to get sleep until 7am. Our 4 year old, 6 o clock every morning without fail is up and ready to go!

We tried everything, but as my parents have told me, "what goes around comes around" cos seemingly i was the very same at that age. Every morning I'd have their hearts broke looking to get up at 6-6:30.

O well!

• Advertisement
Advertisement