Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

new bed construction advice

• 21-04-2014 10:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭

I am building a new bed in the garden. The soil was terrible so I removed it all and have topsoil coming during the week. The bed will only be about a half a foot deep, because the bottom of the bed is all stones etc. Its an area that was full of hardcore stones from years ago. Issprayed the weeds growing on the stones..
    I plan to grow succulents here and plants not requiring much soil for roots.

I was wondering if there would be any benefit to lay newspaper on top of the stones before I fill it with topsoil. Or grass cuttings? I'm just trying to think of ways to try to improve the area as best I can.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,465 ✭✭✭macraignil

Adding a layer of newspaper may make a good habitat for slugs that could become a problem to the plants you are trying to establish. Grass cuttings may also contain weed seed that might grow to compete with your plants and I would only add properly composted material to the new bed.

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭countrywoman

macraignil wrote: »
    Adding a layer of newspaper may make a good habitat for slugs that could become a problem to the plants you are trying to establish. Grass cuttings may also contain weed seed that might grow to compete with your plants and I would only add properly composted material to the new bed.

Thanks so much for your reply. I didn't put them in. Topsoil went in today on top of a layer of well rotted farm yard manure.

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭countrywoman

macraignil wrote: »

Thanks so much for your reply. I didn't put them in. Topsoil went in today on top of a layer of well rotted farm yard manure.

Advertisement