Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hiking Boots for hot weather

Options
  • 21-04-2014 10:59am
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,601 CMod ✭✭✭✭

Hi all. First time poster in this forum. I'm going to be spending a few weeks in national parks and desert in the US in the summer and I'm insure what I should be looking at in footware. Lots of hiking will be involved and it's going to be hot.

I have a pair of North Face winter boots but they're designed for really cold weather so they're unsuitable.

What should I be looking at getting? What brands are recommended and should I shop online? Should I look for waterproof boots?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭duckysauce

faceman wrote: »
    Hi all. First time poster in this forum. I'm going to be spending a few weeks in national parks and desert in the US in the summer and I'm insure what I should be looking at in footware. Lots of hiking will be involved and it's going to be hot.

I have a pair of North Face winter boots but they're designed for really cold weather so they're unsuitable.

What should I be looking at getting? What brands are recommended and should I shop online? Should I look for waterproof boots?

Thanks in advance.

http://www.merrell.com/US/en-US/Product.mvc.aspx/12464M/30448/Mens/Moab-Mid-GORE-TEX

Are very popular for hot weather very light very comfortable , how sturdy they are is questionable only tired them on in store . Maybe someone who has had a pair can comment.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,460 ✭✭✭✭fits

Don't get gore tex. It keeps moisture in as well as out and combined with dust the membrane gets clogged. You need warm weather trail shoes. I have a fab pair from Salomon which I used on Camino. If hiking is more serious you may need boots. Great outdoors on Chatham street give great advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,464 ✭✭✭✭Alun

duckysauce wrote: »
    http://www.merrell.com/US/en-US/Product.mvc.aspx/12464M/30448/Mens/Moab-Mid-GORE-TEX

Are very popular for hot weather very light very comfortable , how sturdy they are is questionable only tired them on in store . Maybe someone who has had a pair can comment.
    I bought a pair of these 2 years ago. Very light, and very comfortable in the shop, but didn't work out for me in practice. Have only worn them twice and both times got blisters which I never get with my normal boots. The sizing is odd too, I wear a UK9/EUR43 usually but had to get a UK10 in these. I literally couldn't squeeze my foot into the UK9 sized version.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,790 ✭✭✭maguic24

Don't mean to hijack the thread, but noob hiker here.

I'm new to hiking and hoping to get into it more and am currently looking for a good pair of boots after hurting my ankle on walk in Glendalough. The advice I got so far was get light boots.

Anyone have any recommendations on what brand to buy and where to buy? As I said, I am a complete noob. All advice welcomed!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭sheesh

you could look at trail sandals they are sandals but with a stiffer sole.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

It is hard to find a pair of boots/trail shoes that cover all terrain types and weather. If the weather is almost certain to be hot and dry you want something strong but will allow your feet to air. Some people like boots to protect the ankles but your feet can get very warm and moist if wearing boots. If it is likely to rain you need Gore Tex. Go to one of the outdoor stores and ask the staff there. Try on different types.

Advertisement