Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Low voltage LED problem.

Options
  • 21-04-2014 12:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

I recently bought some 12v 1.8w LED bulbs to replace 30w halogen ones, they all worked fine on some of the transformers, not at all on others, and on one, gave just a flicker of light.

Any idea what could be going on?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,457 ✭✭✭Electric Ireland: David

Hi Henry,

Thanks for your post.

Unfortunately 12 Volt LED light bulbs are not always compatible with existing low voltage transformers. 

In this case we would recommend getting an electrical contractor to remove the transformers completely, replace the 12volt (GU5.3) lamp holders with GU10 versions and fit good quality GU10 LEDS, such as this one from our online store. 

If you have any other questions please don't hesitate to ask.

Regards,
    David

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Its due to not meeting minimum load, so you could change to higher wattage lamps or use an led driver instead of the transformer but for the long term using Gu10 led is a much better option as David already pointed out.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Mickeyyy5000

I recently bought some 12v 1.8w LED bulbs to replace 30w halogen ones, they all worked fine on some of the transformers, not at all on others, and on one, gave just a flicker of light.

You need Max-Led LED transformer 0-50W ETZ (If the bulbs are AC/DC) or Modular power supply if the bulbs are only DC.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Henry Place

Davy wrote: »
    Its due to not meeting minimum load, so you could change to higher wattage lamps or use an led driver instead of the transformer but for the long term using Gu10 led is a much better option as David already pointed out.
    Thanks, I thought ohm's law might come into play alright, funny how some can manage it but others can't. I'll just put in some low voltage loops coz I'm not pulling the whole ceiling down.

Advertisement