Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Make Up Brushes a bit sticky-oily-after drying them?

• 21-04-2014 12:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭

Hi washed my make up brushes with surgical solution and left them to dry on a windowsil in the heat. A day on and they are kinda sticky, not sure how to describe it really, but creamy wet texture to them, this is not the first time, so I'm clearly doing something wrong? can anyone tell me what?
    Belated happy Easter to all
    :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,186 ✭✭✭dee_mc

That's strange with surgical spirits they usually dry straight away. Were they completely clean when you left them to dry or could there still have been some residue? I tend to dry my brushes 'bristles down' rather than flat, not sure how much difference that would make in this case though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭Freiheit

Maybe it's a case of residue Dee...maybe I need to try again...better to spray or soak in the solution?.

Spray onto a tissue and work it in til they're clean, switching to a clean bit of tissue regularly. I'd forgotten about that method, used it in college when I wore make up every day and sometimes reapplied in the evening, worked great because they dried pretty much instantly. Happy Easter by the way!

thanks again Dee, the solution is watered down, but I was supposed to do that I think...where is the best place to dry them? will try the tissue, and then simply air-dry?.

Yeah I tend to wedge them into the door of the bathroom cabinet so that the brush bit is facing down, a friend uses one of those things for drying your socks, like this http://www.walmart.com/ip/Whitney-Design-Carousel-Clothes-Dryer/13050523, I wouldn't leave them in a window or near a heat source because too much heat is supposed to weaken the bristles or something! So many rules!

• Advertisement

Thanks Dee, theyr'e an interesting idea, I assume I could get them in Irish high-street stores? :) still sticky, despite two more cleans inc. tissue, maybe it's a build up after several poor cleans....

I've seen them in Dunnes but probably can be got in the pound shops or Dealz too. Hmm if it was me I'd probably give them a wash in a mild shampoo at this stage, the metal bits could rust if they don't dry out soon

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭molly09

It might be worth trying to wash them in washing up liquid or baby shampoo and then the surgical spirits , if there is a build up it might need a detergent to get rid of it.

Thanks Molly, actually the Shampoo has proved the master stroke Dee....very thorough and quick cleaning, vastly superior to the surgical spirits :)

Is there anything wrong with a hairdryer to dry them? heat has gone out and not very warm outside :)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

Hair drier could be too hot and cause the bristles to loosen from the glue inside, making them fall out. Your best off just taking the wet out of them with a towel and leaving to dry flat or hanging from the handle. Standing them upright, bristles up, can cause water to get in and again loosen the bristles from the brush.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 71 ✭✭Storming

Had been washing mine very effectively in baby shampoo but got a tip to add a couple of drops of vinegar to this. It works really well. Cleans really quickly and no damage to brushes. So much better with the vinegar added.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭StripedBoxers

I read this thread the other day, but had no advice to offer as this hadn't happened to me, ever.

Then later that day I cleaned my brushes as normal and left them to dry, bristles down.

The following day I went to get one to use and I rubbed the bristles and noticed they were sticky and hard, so I checked all the brushes and they were the same, so I then had to wash them in baby shampoo and again left them to dry, and yesterday I checked them and they are slightly sticky and hard, and there is make up on them, that was definitely not there just after I washed them.

Any advice on what I could do to get rid of the stickiness, hardness and make up?

I use this brush cleaner the first time

http://www.boots.ie/en/No7-Brush-Cleaner_1277679/

And this baby shampoo the second time

http://www.apshora.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/01/33.jpg

I also have the MAC and Bare Escentuals brush cleaners too - should I use one of those, or should I do another wash with the baby shampoo?

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭BelleOfTheBall

I put mine in savlon for10mins and shampoo to clean.leave to dry on paper towel there fine.what amazes me the dirt that comes out!!!!

Advertisement