Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Landlord requirement.

Options
  • 21-04-2014 1:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭

Dear all,

I found a house, where its owner (landlord) asks my details.

Why would the landlord need it, could someone explain it to me?

Thank you for any advice.
    Si

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,368 ✭✭✭The_Morrigan

simoon86 wrote: »
    Dear all,

I found a house, where its owner (landlord) asks my details: full name, contacts and PPS number. But when I my number was issued I was told not to give anybody my PPS number.

Why would the landlord need it, could someone explain it to me? And having this number can he somehow harm me in future?

I'm a foreigner and do not know any details so that's why I'm asking. Thank you for any advice.
    Si

You have to give the landlord the PPS so they can register you with the PRTB.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭simoon86

I wondered when LL asked about it (because nobody never ever asked) and so I asked if LL wants to register me with PRTB on what LL answered "No, as I'm a house owner and allow to rent the room, I don't register with PRTB but I need it for tax"

I wondered when LL asked about it (because nobody never ever asked) and so I asked if LL wants to register me with PRTB on what LL answered "No, as I'm a house owner and allow to rent the room, I don't register with PRTB but I need it for tax <something>", I did not understand what LL meant about tax, the word <something> I forgot, because I'm not native speaker and did not hear LL.

I worried about giving my PPS still because maybe I will have problems or he will still my money using PPS.

You can't steal money using a PPS number.

Ask the landlord what he needs it for.

• Site Banned Posts: 880 ✭✭✭whiteshorts

Are you renting a room or a house?

Just a room.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

Just a room.

Then you are not a tenant and you do not have any real rights as the Owner of the house(licensee) can tell you to leave at any time with little notice. The house owner was correct about the tax requirement when renting a room.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

small point. there is on the prtb forms a kind of disclaimer, that the landlord can say he made every effort to get the tenants pps number. ie he does not have to quote it.

when my landlord registered last year i could not find my pps number so read that and sent the form in and it was fine,

it is the landlords pps that matters for tax purposes etc not the tenants; it is he who registers not the tenant

so a tenant can legally withold it. there is provision on the form.

but why he needs it in this case eludes. i would not oblige

The question was different - is it safe to give anybody (LL is anybody) your PPS number? Is it public or private information? And if this number is known, can anybody make harm to the person referred by the PPS number (myself in this case).

The question was different - is it safe to give anybody (LL is anybody) your PPS number? Is it public or private information? And if this number is known, can anybody make harm to the person referred by the PPS number (myself in this case).
    No they can't harm you by knowing your PPS number.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement